Logos could advise better

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 25
Jeffrey Willis | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 20 2013 3:56 PM

Ok, I just bought the Lexham Bible commentary on Genesis and it is ok. BUT....It makes repeated references to books that I don't have in my library. Now I am using Logos 5 Silver and I am aware I am missing many sources of Bible info/reference but it would be nice if Logos told me what purchase would give me the most for  my money given my current package. Just a gripe I know but all in all, Logos is still great!

Posts 6699
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 4:14 PM

I do not think any of the packages have all the links unlocked. Platinum will have much more.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 4:53 PM

I found the same experience the other day when I bought the Thessalonians book... lots of pointers to resources I don't have.

Might have reconsidered the purchase had I know, but will go through it and see how it stands just on its own as I think there is still good info there.

It does, however, make me rethink getting the other books in the series.

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 5:14 PM

The lexham handbook series, only points to other items in your library. when i investigated them I thought it was a rather pointless thing and would only be very helpful if i bought many more resources that i don't own...

-Dan

Posts 341
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 6:35 PM

I really like the Lexham Bible Guides.  While it does point to resources owned and not owned, for the resources not in your library it does give the reader a synopsis of what was observed, noted, and commented by the author of the unowned resource.  

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2013 2:17 AM
I own a couple of bible guides. They are alright however I believe they should make these part of base packages. This would then encourage the acquisition of resources referred to in the guides.
Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2013 4:12 AM

Jeffrey Willis:

Ok, I just bought the Lexham Bible commentary on Genesis and it is ok. BUT....It makes repeated references to books that I don't have in my library. Now I am using Logos 5 Silver and I am aware I am missing many sources of Bible info/reference but it would be nice if Logos told me what purchase would give me the most for  my money given my current package. Just a gripe I know but all in all, Logos is still great!

Hi Jeffrey.  Remember that Logos offers a 30 day money back guarantee.  If you're not happy with the resource, feel free to return it and spend the money on something else! 

Posts 7868
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2013 3:40 PM

Paul-C:

If you're not happy with the resource, feel free to return it and spend the money on something else! 

The sad thing is when you're happy but circumstances beyond your control force you to return things :-(

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2013 4:02 PM

Returning something is a separate issue from what the OP was talking about and that's having a good idea of how a particular purchase will fit in with your current library.

And I don't see that as a terribly unreasonable wish.

Posts 31362
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2013 4:51 PM

mwk67:

Not an unreasonable wish, but given the wide variety of resources and interests of the users I'm not at all sure it is feasible. Logos is more like a large Barnes & Noble than a public library in a small town.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 22 2013 2:39 PM

mwk67:

Returning something is a separate issue from what the OP was talking about and that's having a good idea of how a particular purchase will fit in with your current library.

True. But if the OP has bought a resource he's not happy with he has the opportunity of returning it to get his money back. He may not have been aware of that. He is aware of that now.

Posts 25
Jeffrey Willis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 22 2013 3:51 PM

I could return it but I won't. I still get much info out of my purchase. Just saying saying that as Logos can advise me to upgrade for 100's a month, they can tell me if buying a certain resource is worth the money.  Again, I love Logos; great product. Just a gripe.

Posts 2691
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 23 2013 11:03 AM

I was using a print book this morning and it referred to articles and books I don't have. It's not Logos per se, but the nature of scholarship to cite literature, often far beyond the average reader's immediate grasp. Scholars do the heavy lifting for us. That's a good thing!

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9534
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 23 2013 12:21 PM

I think that it is totally fine for Logos resources to refer to other resources even if not everyone has that resource. I would say that is would even be fine to refer to resources that Logos doesn't carry (yet). Now I do agree that perhaps some statement could be made to warn folks regarding this.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS