search for commantary N.T.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 7
Henk Schaap | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 26 2013 9:10 AM

Hello,

I am searching for a commantary (with a reasonable prise) that gives commantaries on biblepassages in both orthodx and liberal way.

I mean, when I have a biblical passages my chosen bible on Logos, I want to search for commantaries that give different (both ortodoxh and liberal, and in between) points of view.

Can somebody give me a good advise,

Henk Schaap

the Hague, Holland

Posts 514
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2013 2:56 PM

Henk, I do not have any recommendations for you, but I am hoping that some more experienced Logos users pick up on this thread and can answer your question. 

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2013 3:18 PM

Henk, welcome to the Forums.

I think the goals of both being inexpensive and covering a range of theological views may be extremely hard to satisfy. Most commentaries that deal with a wide range of views tend to be longer (more expensive), usually dealing with one book per commentary.

Most often the theological discussions occur primarily in the Introductions to the books rather than on a passage by passage basis.

There is no single volume commentary with this approach that is in Logos format that I know of.

Two multi-volume commentary sets that to one degree or another accomplish your goal are the Word Biblical Commentary and The New International Commentary on the Old and New Testament. Both are expensive. Both side with what you would probably consider the orthodox view.

I hope someone else may have discovered a resource I don't know of that will be less expensive but more what you wish.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2013 3:33 PM

Hello Henk,

It is probably best to buy two commentaries - one that gives you an 'orthodox' view, and the other that gives you a 'liberal' view. Usually, only the more expensive commentaries give you both views, and even then they will still recommend one view over the other.

If you really want a range of views, then you should definitely buy the Exegetical Summaries. They give almost every different view, but they cost $500 and they don't cover all the Bible yet.

We could recommend good commentaries that are either 'orthodox' or 'liberal', but we would need to know how much money you think a 'reasonable' price is. Commentaries on the Bible start at about $30 and go up to more than $2,000, so what I think is a reasonable price may not be what you think is reasonable.

I hope that helps,

Mark

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2013 5:13 PM

If you have nothing to say, Why are you posting?????

Posts 514
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2013 5:21 PM

Kent:

I posted because this was Henk's very first post on the forums and it had been up for 6 hours with no response from anyone.  I wanted to post in hopes that someone else with the ability to answer his question would notice it. 

Posts 3820
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2013 6:26 PM

Daniel Yoder:

Kent:

I posted because this was Henk's very first post on the forums and it had been up for 6 hours with no response from anyone.  I wanted to post in hopes that someone else with the ability to answer his question would notice it. 

And that makes sense.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2013 6:59 PM

Daniel Yoder:

Yes

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 19263
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2013 7:01 PM

Daniel Yoder:

Kent:

A very legitimate way to bump a thread back into the more current threads so someone else sees it.

Henk Schaap:

I am searching for a commantary (with a reasonable prise) that gives commantaries on biblepassages in both orthodx and liberal way.

I mean, when I have a biblical passages my chosen bible on Logos, I want to search for commantaries that give different (both ortodoxh and liberal, and in between) points of view.

Henk, you might want to check out the Lexham Bible Guides, a series in progress with one volume per book of the Bible. So far, of the New Testament books, only the volumes for Paul's letters are available yet. But Luke and 1 Peter are in pre-publication.

If you can't afford to buy multiple commentary sets so that you have the liberal and orthodox views and various points of view in between, the Lexham Bible Guides might serve your needs. They give the full spectrum of views and summarize what other commentaries and reference books say, with a link to those commentaries (in case you do happen to have them in your library).

They are not cheap, but for what they provide, I think you might find them useful. You could buy one at first to see if you like it, and return it within 30 days to apply your full purchase price to the whole existing set if it works for you. But then you'll have to wait for the other volumes to come out. A hint: buying books when they're still in pre-pub is the most cost effective way to acquire them for your library.

Posts 7
Henk Schaap | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 3:50 AM

Dear Rosie,

thank you for yor advise, I think the Lexham commentaries are the (payable) solution for me, because I can ordere them one at a time. I'shall start with ephesians and let you know. Thanks again very much.

Also thanks for the others who respond. Great!

with greatings, Henk Schaap, the Hague, Holland

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 4:00 AM

Henk, just one more question for you, what do you plan using the commentaries/logos for?

This will determine what resources you may get the most benefit from.

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 6:04 AM

Henk Schaap:
thank you for yor advise, I think the Lexham commentaries are the (payable) solution for me, because I can ordere them one at a time. I'shall start with ephesians and let you know. Thanks again very much.

You can also buy the Exegetical Summaries for individual Bible books, but they are expensive: http://www.logos.com/product/8141/an-exegetical-summary-of-ephesians-2nd-ed - that page will also let you see inside the book, so you can decide whether it's for you, or not.

Posts 7
Henk Schaap | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 6:43 AM

Hallo Kelvin,

the reason is just a personal interest in theology. I read and study it for almost 30 years now but mainly in Dutch. Since about a year I "discovered" N.T. Wright and read all his books that were translated in Dutch. But, most of his books are, off course, in English. He also referred to a lot of other writers (most english) and thats the reason why I started reading thelogy in English. The way Wright often referred to both liberal and orthodox commentaries decided me to buy such a commentary. And, as you can read, on this monent I think that the Lexham commentaries (which I can order one by one) seem to be a right choice.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS