Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 98
Ed Blough | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 2 2009 7:31 AM

I'm asking this not to start any kind of theological debate but I"m rather new to Logos although I have used the Logos/Libronix engine for many years by way of the Nelson E-Bible packages.  I was thinking of ordering one of the the Scholar's library packages. It  is a fairly sizeable investment and I do have another Bible Software program I'm very happy with and  I  have a concern.

In another thread someone mentioned an author and someone said in effect, "He is a dispensationalist so there is no chance of seeing his work included in Logos.  The thread went downhill from there finally getting buried in a masked theological debate. Please don't do that here.

In the past Logos seemed to be fairly evenly balanced theologically speaking but after that thread I'm concerned that this balanced might have been shifted.  Is this a valid concern?   I know there are some Wesleyan-Arminian packages available but I'm seeing a lot of Reformation (Calvinist) material lately offered.   I want a balanced library and if Logos is shifting the balance then perhaps I should reconsider my plans on future purchases.    

Looking for your opinions.   Thanks!

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2009 7:44 AM

EdBlough:
In the past Logos seemed to be fairly evenly balanced theologically speaking but after that thread I'm concerned that this balanced might have been shifted.  Is this a valid concern?   I know there are some Wesleyan-Arminian packages available but I'm seeing a lot of Reformation (Calvinist) material lately offered.   I want a balanced library and if Logos is shifting the balance then perhaps I should reconsider my plans on future purchases.  

So far, Libronix 's relationship with publishers has tended to offer books in the center of the Evangelical tradition. Recently, they have begun publishing some specifically Reformed works, and most of what they have has tended toward the Calvinistic side. But this is not by plan or design, I'm sure. As their stated intention is to publish works from the full breadth of the Christian tradition.

The scholars package is fairly diverse, and you will find some variety there, in terms of theological persuasion. Look it over and decide for yourself. It is an expensive package, but a bargain -- if you want what you're paying for.

It's true that there's not much dispensational stuff in Logos, but a few recent releases shows they are not opposed to publishing these works. Don't ask me to be specific, because I don't pay much attention to works I'm not interested in, and I'm not a dispensationalist. But they are there. I'm sure someone else will point them out.

So you're right that most Libronix stuff has tended toward a general calvinistic approach to theology. But know that they are committed to publishing works from the entire spectrum of (genuine) Christian theology.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1757
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2009 7:53 AM

Have a look for yourself at what's in the Scholar's Lib, Ed:
http://www.logos.com/comparison

What I did was to download the PDF comparison, and examine the resources in each pack. Since I wanted the Heb/Gk resources, I studied the comparisons, analyzing exactly what I really needed, and ended up buying the Scholar's Library. (The 10-volume Kittel TDNT alone made that a worthwhile step up for me.)

As you go through that process, I'm sure you will see that the Logos base libraries present a good balance of resources. On top of that, they keep adding more resources. If you have a Calvinist leaning, those resources are here; if you are not, you will still find your resources here. If you take a dispensationalist view, you will find those resources available; if you don't there are plenty from other points of view.

While I don't have any inside information on how Logos makes decisions about resources, from my perspective it looks like it's demand driven. If lots of people want something, it's likely to turn up as a Logos resource in time. Check out the pre-publications as an example of responding to demand.

Perhaps you saw a thread regarding Zondervan resources? From what I understand, this particular issue is about the publisher's policies, not about theological bias.

Anyway, as someone who started using Bible software in 1986, and switched to Logos only last year, all I can say is that I wish I'd discovered Logos earlier.

God bless.

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:31 AM

EdBlough:
"He is a dispensationalist so there is no chance of seeing his work included in Logos.

I have found Roman Catholic works, Wesleyan works,Critical works & Dispensationalist works on Pre-pub. Here are a few Dispensationalist works i found but there are many more if one search for them. I will also include all the moody stuff on Pre-pub, MacArthur & Tony Evans materials.

Ted.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:33 AM

I also occurred to me that it could be indirectly related to Calvins 500th bday and general interest in related subjects...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2009 10:47 AM

EdBlough:

I want a balanced library and if Logos is shifting the balance then perhaps I should reconsider my plans on future purchases.    

Looking for your opinions.   Thanks!

All of the add-ons are voluntary. Try to view Logos as a family-friendly grocery store. When you build your library just pass by the things you don't need or like.  I see a lot of Catholic material in Pre-Pub right now. I'm just fine with that although my purchase interests don't go beyond Chesterton and Aquinas. Christians disagree on a lot of things. Logos seems to be serving Christians well. I doubt they would ever publish how-to books on the occult. Bro Ted Hans gave a good list of dispensational authors already available in Logos. If timing means anything you can console yourself with the fact the release of those dispensational titles preceded the Calvinistic and Catholic releases. Personally I don't think the release order has anything to do with theological stances.

The Scholar packages are worth every penny! When evaluating them make  lists of the included resources you 1) highly value, 2) moderately find useful, and 3) those you'd throw out.  First "throw out " the third list - You are not really paying for them. Then add up the value of the first list. I think you'll find the package price is a bargain just for your first category alone. The second list is just all bonus "free" stuff that you will find useful & interesting.

I find the bundled value of the Scholar's packages so good my only complaint is there is not a Platinum level I can upgrade to. The various "bundles" Logos introduced Nov 2008 are the closest thing in comparable savings. (I lament they deleted the one with John Owens/Martin Luther/etc before I ordered it. Crying )

Check out the Nelson 503 title DVD   http://www.logos.com/products/details/5248  and the many "works of" collections. I don't find lean pickings at Logos. I find my bank account too small to keep up with them!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 36061
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2009 12:42 PM

Matthew C Jones:
I see a lot of Catholic material in Pre-Pub right now.

This is true but the core product still treats the expanded canon as second class and several resources exclude the deuterocanonical books. However, there are indications that Logos is addressing these issues so that the limitations are probably temporary.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2009 3:53 PM
If I recall correctly from previous newsgroup discussions, there are some challenges with getting Roman Catholic material because of a reluctance on the part of Rome to have works with an "impranus" (or whatever the seal of approval is called) on a book in an electronic library with non-Roman Catholic material. There might be confusion on the part of some users as to which works are covered by the seal of approval.
Posts 36061
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2009 7:38 PM

Don:
there are some challenges with getting Roman Catholic material because of a reluctance on the part of Rome to have works with an "impranus" (or whatever the seal of approval is called) on a book in an electronic library with non-Roman Catholic material.

I would be very surprised if this is true although I have no trouble believing that some would misunderstand the situation and think this was true. Much of the Roman Catholic materials have no imprimatur - it is expected on teaching materials but not much else.  There is truth in the saying that you go to Catholic publishers for theology, Anglican publishers for liturgy and Lutheran publishers for biblical studies. There isn't a whole lot of biblical studies that is specifically Catholic and no need for it.  However, Anglicans and Lutherans as well as the Orthodox and Catholic use a broader canon than the American protestant. Logos was significantly delayed when they first offered a "Catholic edition" because they  had not set up their scriptural reference system to handle it. I waited and waited as it was delayed again and again. Their inability to handle expanded canons in the Bible reading addin is an example of how the problem persists. The limitations of the lectionary shows a lack of familarity with any of the liturgical churches - it handles the basic RCL well but (a) combines the lectionary and the ordo and (b) fails to recognize that a number of service books beyond the lectionary use scripture e.g. the Office of Readings which usually has the longest pericope of the day.

I would not be surprised, although I don't know either way, that the Church has hesitated to license official documents to Logos given that the Vatican has an ever growing free computer resource that I suspect is built on Logos or a competitor (see Biblica Clerus). Why allow us to be charged for something that is already available for free? Official documents I have no problem adding to Logos as PBBs.

But as I said initially, I have every reason to believe that Logos is handling the referencing problem and my world will soon be the better for it. Go Logos! In fact, Go FasterBig Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2009 12:10 AM

MJ. Smith:
I would not be surprised, although I don't know either way, that the Church has hesitated to license official documents to Logos given that the Vatican has an ever growing free computer resource that I suspect is built on Logos or a competitor (see Biblica Clerus).

Thank you for letting us know about this.  I am at this very moment in the process of downloading the files.  It should be noted that if one wishes do do a Google search on this, it is "Biblia Clerus" rather than "Biblica Clerus."

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 71
Paul Buckhiester | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2010 2:31 PM

I would add Bible Knowledge Commentary, Prophecy Knowledge Handbook/Every Prophecy of the Bible, Tom Constable's Expositiory Notes, ESV Study Bible (although it is edited by Reformed theologians, it presents a good representation of eschatalogical views in most of the critica places, e.g. Daniel and Revelation), Walvoord's commentaries on Daniel, Matthew and Revelation, Revelation Four Views, all of Arnold Fruchtenbaum's material, Nelson Study Bible, Nelson's Old and New Testament Surveys and I am sure I am missing some.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS