Surface Pro 128

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 30
Tom | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 2 2013 5:02 PM

I am near to fund my purchase a surface pro 128 mb. If anyone has any tips for me in using logos let me know. I have researched and came to the conclusion I have to use the pen tool for navigation in logos. My order of use will be:

1) Logos 5 (I have the portfolio + lots other collections > 24 GB)
2) MDiv study (Office 365)
3) ASP.NET development 
4) Cloud spaces (SkyDrive, Dropbox, Google, Amazon)

I know space is limited after OS so I was thinking in putting all my logos resources on the xd card. Any thoughts or best practices? 

How do you like running logos 5? Does it index and search at a usable speed? I can't wait to be able to read and research on the go, we are very active and the wife does many 8+ hr triathlons. 

My only gripe is the lack of onboard gps and mobile data but teathering will do. Most of the time I will have a mouse.

Thanks

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2013 6:23 PM

Since space is limited, you may want to do a backup of the recovery partition using the Windows 8 settings and then wipe the recovery partition to gain more space on your SSD. Or, you can wait a bit until the 256GB Surface Pros are released.

You may also want to investigate the method for installing Logos that copies over all of your resources from your current computer's configuration. See the wiki for how to do this. It will virtually eliminate the initial indexing on your Surface Pro.

I tweaked the power settings on my Surface Pro so that it would reduce the heat and extend battery life, and I found that this change did not adversely affect performance. 

You will have to use the stylus to navigate in Logos and either use an attached touch or type cover as a keyboard, or use the soft keyboard within Windows. Just be advised that if you use the latter, you'll have to manually invoke it. Just placing the cursor in a text field will not open the soft keyboard when running Windows apps like Logos from the desktop. So, I'd make sure you have your keyboard icon in your system tray.

You will also find that you can scroll through windows using touch and not the stylus. To me, this was very important.

Posts 26795
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 4:41 AM

Tom:
I know space is limited after OS so I was thinking in putting all my logos resources on the xd card. Any thoughts or best practices? 

That may not be possible due to the technical limitations** of moving the Resources folder after installation. Access speed will be another issue. Keep Logos on the SSD and move other stuff to the XD card.

** XD card has to be NTFS format, same as the SSD and capacity > 32 GB.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 30
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 7:46 AM

Good point Dave thanks for reminding me. 

Bill, Thanks for your tips. I do plan to backup the recovery partition. I will use the touch keyboard in most cases or read it like a book. Thanks for letting me know how to skip the re-indexing, that is painful for sure. 

I am still pondering to wait for the pro 2, wish they will set a release date and specs. Lots of rumors going about and noting from Microsoft that I read. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Posts 186
Robert G. Mettler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 8:59 AM

Tom:

Good point Dave thanks for reminding me. 

Bill, Thanks for your tips. I do plan to backup the recovery partition. I will use the touch keyboard in most cases or read it like a book. Thanks for letting me know how to skip the re-indexing, that is painful for sure. 

I am still pondering to wait for the pro 2, wish they will set a release date and specs. Lots of rumors going about and noting from Microsoft that I read. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Dave (edit) and Tom,

Consider this:

http://store.sony.com/c/VAIO-Duo-11-Ultrabook-Laptops/en/c/S_D_SERIES_PAGE

I have a Duo 11, and find it performs very will with Logos. It specs out better than the surface Pro at a competitive price. The criticism is that it is heavy. I have not found that to be a major drawback.

Robert

Posts 26795
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 7:32 PM

Robert G. Mettler:
Consider this:

It is expensive in Oz. I would go for http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/pc_world_business/sony/vaio_pro_13_ultrabook/466176, except that I don't have an urgent need to get away from my i5 Notebook with a (self-fitted) 180 GB SSD.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 7:58 PM

My unsolicited advice - save your money.  The Surface Pro is a hot brick (unless you want a nice hand warmer!)

Its overpriced and better chips are on their way (which will improve battery life).

Plus the volume is horrible and cannot be heard unless your ears are "bionic".

I have read it cannot easily be hooked up to a larger monitor either as the windows scaling is off and requires tweaking and a reboot.

This machine is junk!

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 8:38 PM

Mr. Hooten, that's over 1300 dollars.  Your church must pay you handsomely and/or God must bless you richly.

As for me and my house...well...we will be thankful for an Old Toshiba Laptop and a larger non-touchscreen Samsung Monitor.

Posts 26795
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 2:07 AM

Mr LeiderSmile

It is at the upper end of the price I would pay (with God's blessing) but the 128 GB SSD is too small for serious consideration. I intend to watch and wait for larger SSD's and a better understanding of where Windows 8 is heading with touch screen and the desktop. I'm not convinced about the current state of the market and would quite happily get a cheap (under $900) Windows 7 Notebook if I needed one.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 3:54 AM

Windows Surface Pro reviews => http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/microsoft-surface-windows-8-pro-review and => http://gizmodo.com/5981224/microsoft-surface-pro-review-too-much-future notes default icon scaling is 150 % since 10.6 inch display has 1920 x 1080 resolution so may want to set Logos 5 Program Scaling to 150 %; may want to use command:

set program scaling to 150%

Tom:

Logos is a resource intensive application that benefits from fast processor, graphics, and quick storage along with adequate memory; XD card would be noticeably sluggish.

Tom:

Noticed 11 inch MacBook Air with newer 4th Generation CPU has same price points as Surface Pro for 128 and 256 GB => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air Caveat: MacBook Air lacks touch screen.

Acer announced Haswell ultrabook last month => http://www.anandtech.com/show/7019/acer-announces-new-8-iconia-w3-tablet-s3-and-s7-haswell-ultrabooks

Appears Windows 8.1 is adding advertising to Windows Search => http://windowsitpro.com/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/short-takes-july-3-2013 along with 256 GB Surface Pro availability:

CDW offers Surface Pro 256 GB => http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Microsoft-Surface-Tablet-Core-i5-3317U-256-GB-SSD-Windows-8-Pro/3065473.aspx

PC Connection has 64 GB, 128 GB, and 256 GB Surface Pro => http://www.pcconnection.com/sitecore/content/IPA/PM/Brands/Microsoft/Surface-Pro

Surprisingly, the Microsoft Store does not (yet) offer 256 GB => http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?Action=pdp&Locale=en_US&SiteID=msusa&productID=275287300 but does offer discounted Surface Pro bundle that includes type cover with Office Home and Student 2013.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3175
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 8:11 AM

[quote user="Dave Hooton"]

Mr LeiderSmile

It is at the upper end of the price I would pay (with God's blessing) but the 128 GB SSD is too small for serious consideration. I intend to watch and wait for larger SSD's and a better understanding of where Windows 8 is heading with touch screen and the desktop. I'm not convinced about the current state of the market and would quite happily get a cheap (under $900) Windows 7 Notebook if I needed one.

[/quote]

Hi Dave, I am so grateful for the most precious quality of your advice , if I want to buy any sorts of computer or tablet concerning Logos,you are one of the most I need to listen to.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 1:06 PM

Joshua Lieder:

My unsolicited advice - save your money.  The Surface Pro is a hot brick (unless you want a nice hand warmer!)

Its overpriced and better chips are on their way (which will improve battery life).

Plus the volume is horrible and cannot be heard unless your ears are "bionic".

I have read it cannot easily be hooked up to a larger monitor either as the windows scaling is off and requires tweaking and a reboot.

This machine is junk!

Joshua,

With all due respect, the Surface Pro is not junk. It runs Logos very well, and once you spend 5 minutes adjusting the power settings, is thermally acceptable. Also, the Windows 8.1 update will fix the scaling issue with multiple monitors. The Surface Pro is a wonderful tablet for the full Logos experience -- you can do anything on it that you want -- and it is more versatile than an Android or iOS tablet. 

Posts 30
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 8 2013 12:18 PM

Thanks for all the updates and comments on the Surface. I did get a good discount and decided to go with it. I have full MSDN Developer subscription so I can tweak and fiddle with settings. I do .NET development and windows is a better choice than mac or android at this time. Although I do like my ipad I want to utilize full logos5. Some of the ultrabooks are nice and would out perform a little but not worth me spending $400+ more dollars. I looked at me XPS notebook and realized I only have 256 GB drive which is surprising as I never upgraded. It is only half used and everything I need is on it. Most of my files are either on the cloud or on my RAID'd Desktop computer. I do want to experiment with the touch screen and some programmatic aspects of it. I will try to post a follow up on how it works out when I receive it. 

Posts 2381
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:40 PM

Bill Anderson:

Joshua,

With all due respect, the Surface Pro is not junk. It runs Logos very well, and once you spend 5 minutes adjusting the power settings, is thermally acceptable. Also, the Windows 8.1 update will fix the scaling issue with multiple monitors. The Surface Pro is a wonderful tablet for the full Logos experience -- you can do anything on it that you want -- and it is more versatile than an Android or iOS tablet. 

As another Surface Pro user who actually owns and uses it (rather that just reading reviews and experimenting in the store) I concur with Bill! Yes, it costs a little, but was less than buying an ultrabook AND an iPad or Android tablet. And since I already owned a lot of Windows software, it was much cheaper than jumping to the Apple MacAir.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 12 2013 11:06 AM

Curious Dave and Bill, how do you listen to anything on it...do you have to put in a hearing aid first?  (Yes I am countering with humor...however slight).

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 12 2013 12:55 PM

Joshua Lieder:

Curious Dave and Bill, how do you listen to anything on it...do you have to put in a hearing aid first?  (Yes I am countering with humor...however slight).

Well, I really wouldn't be the best person to comment on this because I actually am deaf in one ear and have to wear a hearing aid in the other. Wink

No portable device has good enough sound for me.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS