New Theological Journals

Page 1 of 4 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 62 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 15 2009 9:19 PM

There a whole lot of new theological journals from Galaxie on the FTP site.  Anybody heard of a new collection out?

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 10:38 PM

The Galaxie Software web site shows that volume 12 is available now. Updates, plus the Tyndale Bulletin.

• Bibliotheca Sacra (2008)
  • Westminster Theological Journal (2008)
  • Trinity Journal (2007)
  • Journal for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (2008)
  • Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society (2008)
  • Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society (2008)
  • Journal of Ministry and Theology (2008)
  • Christian Apologetics Journal (2008)
  • Detroit Baptist Seminary Journal (2008)
  • Journal of Dispensational Theology (2008)
  • Emmaus Journal (2007)
  • Review and Expositor (2008)
  • Conspectus (2008)
  • Southern Baptist Journal of Theology (2008)
  • Reformed Baptist Theological Review (2007-2008)
  • Tyndale Bulletin (1972-2005)
    Posts 1163
    Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 10:50 PM

Link to TJL12 $49.95 http://store.galaxie.com/product.asp?ProductID=100

and BibSac vols 1-90 $89.95 http://store.galaxie.com/product.asp?ProductID=101

They don't seem to be listed on the Logos website yet.

Tom

Posts 1956
    Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 11:00 PM

Does anyone know if TJL will be available for purchase through Logos or do I have to go to Galaxie?  I would rather not bother with having a DVD shipped to me.

Posts 1163
    Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 11:05 PM

Unfortunately, with previous volumes it hasn't mattered where you buy it - you have to get a CD and install it. I haven't purchased vol 11 yet because shipping is a killer. This year I can combine 2 or 3 vols so perhaps I will get them... They do have some nice artwork on their covers though!

Posts 2793
    J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 11:17 PM

I don't know.  The package is starting to look kind of weak with offerings like Tyndale Bulletin (1972-2005).  I checked it out on-line (where you can get all this for free), but I am not sure it adds any value to the $50 price tag.

Anyone have any working knowledge of this journal?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 598
    Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 12:51 AM

Joe,

I'm not sure what you mean by weak, the authors read like a who's who in Theology. Some of the authors who contributed are J I Packer, John Goldingay, Max Turner, Kevin Vanhoozer, Richard Bauckham, B K Beale, Francis Watson, Philip Towner, Stanley Porter, I Howard Marshall, D A Carson, and R T France.

Most of these men have written major commentaries for the NICNT, Pillar, NIGTC, WBC, or the ICC.

Posts 13428
    Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 3:03 AM

Joe Miller:

I don't know.  The package is starting to look kind of weak with offerings like Tyndale Bulletin (1972-2005).  I checked it out on-line (where you can get all this for free), but I am not sure it adds any value to the $50 price tag.

Anyone have any working knowledge of this journal?

The Tyndale Bulletin is excellent. It comes from the best (and I mean that) biblical studies library in the world. So good I subscribe to the print edition. It's solidly evangelical, yet remains scholarly. One of the best British journals for biblical studies. Particularly good on NT background studies/Graeco-Roman culture (regular contributors include Andrew D. Clarke and Bruce Winter), and also on text-critical issues.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 13428
    Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 3:09 AM

Joe Miller:
    I checked it out on-line (where you can get all this for free), but I am not sure it adds any value to the $50 price tag.

Make sure you're looking at this page, as the navigation is a bit confusing and there are other places on the website where you get less full tables of contents: http://www.tyndalehouse.com/TynBul/Library/00_TyndaleBulletin_ByDate.htm

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 746
    JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 6:13 AM

This is part of the email that Galaxie Software sent with the release of TJL 12:

IMPORTANT INFO: Please read!

In the past few months, I've personally gone through over 400 of the volumes from previous Theological Journal CDs... fixing the typos that you reported ... rebuilding in the new Logos xml format... removing my 1/2 inch margins so that they fill the screen on the iphone...

One nice thing about the new format is that titles and headings are now searchable. So, in addition to being able to search for "author:wallace" you can search for "heading:keyword".... that should help you narrow your searches to articles or sections dealing specifically with your topic.

If you are using Logos 4, it should automatically download these updated books to your library. 

If you are using Libronix 3, you can download them from ftp://ftp.logos.com/LbxBooks/
    look for the gs_journalabbrev.lbxlls files with dates of 12/xx/2009
    if you are using IE - you can click the page icon at the top right of the browser and choose "open ftp site in windows explorer", then you can select multiple files and download them. Tip: click the modified column twice and the updated gs_ files will be at the top of the list.

Note: If you don't download the updated files, the newest volumes of the journals on TJL 12 will be listed at the beginning of that particular journal in the "my library" in libronix/logos engine. That is because of the way the new logos book builder creates the sort title. For example, you would see:
    Bibliotheca Sacra Volume 165
    Bibliotheca Sacra Volume 91
    Bibliotheca Sacra Volume 92
    etc.

Posts 13428
    Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 6:22 AM

That's excellent news. I'm not seeing those updated resources yet, though.

Posts 1130
    Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 6:43 AM

I received the email as well. It looks like it is still a L3 product and to get the license into L4 we will have to install in L3, then sync and then allow L4 to transfer the books. I guess some of those who have removed L3 will be reinstalling it.

This does not surprise me as this transition must be even harder on Logos' publishing partners than it has for us. All of Nelson's new packages are essentially obsolete the month they shipped. I am sure they are not happy about that.

Posts 13428
    Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 6:44 AM

Answering my own question, I suspect Logos has published the L3 version of these files, but not yet the L4 version. I would imagine that if I manually download the L3 version, then I'll only have to re-download the L4 versions in a few hours or days time.

Posts 2793
    J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:05 AM

Bobby and Mark, thanks for your input.  I suppose "weak" may not be the best word, but I have never heard of this journal before, so it seemed more obscure compared to some  of the others.  

Thanks for your input.

Posts 13428
    Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:16 AM

If it's any consolation the only journal my seminary carries from the Logos TLJ collection is WTJ. Here in the UK it's very rare for anyone to carry even BibSac, Trinity or JETS. But most evangelical seminaries will carry Tyndale.

Posts 1130
    Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:49 AM

FYI I just got a confirmation email from Hampton that the only way to purchase TJL12 right now is via the L3 CD. He said that eventually Logos will set things up for download for Logos 4 users, but he does not know when that will be.

Posts 1956
    Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:21 AM

P. Keith Larson:
    He said that eventually Logos will set things up for download for Logos 4 users, but he does not know when that will be.

(sigh) Thanks! Means I have to get the CD sent over. Sad

Posts 147
    Scott H. Clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 6:09 PM

JH:
    One nice thing about the new format is that titles and headings are now searchable. So, in addition to being able to search for "author:wallace" you can search for "heading:keyword".... that should help you narrow your searches to articles or sections dealing specifically with your topic.

Okay, I cannot get the "heading:xxxxxx" search to work for TJL v1-10.  I rebuilt the index and still no joy.  The journals are all there (have been since I installed them a week ago.)  Is this feature only for the v12 right now, or am I experiencing a problem.

Posts 2793
    J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 6:29 PM

I was under the impression that the new TJ were not yet on the Logos server for download, so I think they are only on the DVD for now.

Posts 147
    Scott H. Clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 6:37 PM

Thanks, Joe.  It's probably my own misunderstanding here.  I got the old L3 version of the TJL last week with my upgrade to L4.  When I loaded it to L3 and sync'd the licenses, L4 downloaded them and they appeared in my L3 and L4.  I was assuming I had the new L4 version of the journals in L4.  Apparently, L4 is still reading the L3 version.  I will patiently await the automatic updates for now.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 4 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS