New Mac User with extremely sloooow Logos 5

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 5 2013 11:25 AM

I just bought a Macair. My only reason for shifting to mac was to be able to use Logos 5 - and have a quick machine. From the forums I understand that this machine should be really good and very quick.

It's a new macair 1.7. But at the moment I feel terribly frustrated. Whenever I want to open a resource I have a rainbow spinning wheel for about 35 seconds before it shows the list of resources. The wheel starts right after typing the first letter of the resource  The computer has downloaded everything and it has finished indexing long time ago. 

I have restarted Logos several times - and every time it's starts signing in - can I stop this?

Posts 6728
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 11:29 AM

Do not have a Mac, but it seems as if something else is going on. Even though you say it has finished indexing, it sounds like indexing to me. What happens when you open your library, are all of your resources showing up? What about a search? If either of the two are not giving the desired results, make sure the 2-4 hour index has finished. http://www.logos.com/installation

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 11:51 AM

Yes, it has definetely finished indexing. I downloaded Logos 3 days ago (24 GB). It was indexing for about 5 hours also 3 days ago and the program has been open since with open internet acces. All my notes are here (also extremely slow to show up). And everything seems OK - apart from the speed. It did download a couple of new books (vyrso) that I bought yesterday - and indexed for about 10 minutes.

Posts 6728
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 11:53 AM

Have you tried restarting the computer? Someone resolved a problem by rebooting.

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 12:19 PM

Thank you, yes I have. The computer has rebooted several times. This doesn't solve the problem. 

Posts 6728
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 12:21 PM

Follow the steps in the wiki and enable diagnostic logging and upload your logs.

http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Posts 175
Orpheus Heyward | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 12:24 PM

I also just bought the new MacBook air. It is working extremely well. I suspect that something is going on with the program. I would suggest getting in touch with the company to see if there is something happening that you are unaware of. Logos seems to be working a lot faster than it has on previous machines. There is very little lag time moving between layouts and opening resources. I would say it is not your MacBook air.

Posts 1574
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 12:24 PM

That's very unusual. I have a 2011 Air, 4Gb 128, and Logos is quite snappy. The 2013 models have even faster CPU, RAM, and SSD, so something unusual is clearly amiss. I assume you haven't done any odd partitioning, or running it under Bootcamp or anything like that? Standard install? If so, there's always the nuclear option of complete uninstall and reinstall...

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 12:52 PM

No, I didn't do anything unusual. Logos and Calibre, pages and keynotes are the only programmes I have installed so far

It's seems a few others have problems with a new version. Could that be the problem?

Posts 29893
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 1:37 PM

ELA:
Whenever I want to open a resource I have a rainbow spinning wheel for about 35 seconds before it shows the list of resources. The wheel starts right after typing the first letter of the resource  The computer has downloaded everything and it has finished indexing long time ago. 

It might help Logos to look at your logs. Please follow the link in my signature line to enable and post logs. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10845
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 2:22 PM

Lynden Williams:
Have you tried restarting the computer?

Spoken like a true Windows user Big Smile If it does not work, reboot.

Lynden Williams:
Someone resolved a problem by rebooting.

Sometimes Logos requires us to think like Windows users and restart Crying. Lynden's advice is good, but I can't stop myself from making a small jab Embarrassed

Additionally, Bama gave very good advice. Logs will be vital in analyzing your problem. Instructions for Mac logging are also in my signature.

Posts 6728
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 2:40 PM

Jack Caviness:

Lynden Williams:
Have you tried restarting the computer?

Spoken like a true Windows user Big Smile If it does not work, reboot.

Lynden Williams:
Someone resolved a problem by rebooting.

Sometimes Logos requires us to think like Windows users and restart Crying. Lynden's advice is good, but I can't stop myself from making a small jab Embarrassed

Additionally, Bama gave very good advice. Logs will be vital in analyzing your problem. Instructions for Mac logging are also in my signature.

Hey Jack. I know a die hard apple user, who says that with the departure of Steve, Apple will lose its edge. So don't feel bad. Have you purchased your antivirus software as yet? Smile

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 2:51 PM

Launch "Activity Monitor" and change it so that it monitors all processes. Then sort by CPU / RAM usage to see if any background program is hogging your hardware.

I also bought a 2013 MBA. My battery wasn't lasting anywhere near what it should. On doing the above, I noticed my Carbonite back up software was continuously using 100-150% of my CPU. I deleted the software and everything went back to normal. I wonder if something similar is happening in your case causing the spinning pizza?

Posts 2565
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 2:54 PM

ELA,

The default layout for Logos has everything expanded in all the tools rather than collapsed. If you enter into the go box something like Romans, there is a lot to populate. I suggest two things: first go to the passage guide and exegetical guide right click and collapse all. Then I suggest never enter an entry in the GO box on the home page larger than the suggested pericope. Once the tool sections are collapsed they will stay that way the next time you open them. Just click on the arrow to expand one section at a time.

If this fixes your problem, let us know. Perhaps Logos should default with everything collapsed.

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 3:06 PM

Logos just downloaded a prepub and and indexed after that. When I used searching the library again Logos crashed and did send a report to Logos. 

I re-opened. I tried another view in the library and it worked better. It seems that the tile view has something to do with the problem. 

Here are the log.8080.LogosLogs.ela.20130705-234139.zip

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 3:13 PM

Paul-C:

Launch "Activity Monitor" and change it so that it monitors all processes. Then sort by CPU / RAM usage to see if any background program is hogging your hardware.

I also bought a 2013 MBA. My battery wasn't lasting anywhere near what it should. On doing the above, I noticed my Carbonite back up software was continuously using 100-150% of my CPU. I deleted the software and everything went back to normal. I wonder if something similar is happening in your case causing the spinning pizza?

No Logos was using 38% of the CPU - I have installed very few programs so far and they're are closed.

Posts 29893
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 3:21 PM

ELA - Hopefully your logs will be helpful. I don't understand what I am seeing, but when I filter for "error," there is a ton there. Most of it relates to either "WebServiceClient" or "LibraryCatalog." 

Have you tried working offline (not a permanent solution, but just to test for the problem)? I don't know if that would help or not. I am tempted to say that something went wrong with your index, and that you might need to rebuild your index. Did you close your laptop at all while you were indexing?

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 3:28 PM

No I didn't close it. I think it took about 5 hours to index. I'll try working off-line tomorrow. It's past midnight in Scandinavia right now Sleep

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 6 2013 2:53 AM

alabama24:

ELA - Hopefully your logs will be helpful. I don't understand what I am seeing, but when I filter for "error," there is a ton there. Most of it relates to either "WebServiceClient" or "LibraryCatalog." 

Have you tried working offline (not a permanent solution, but just to test for the problem)? I don't know if that would help or not. I am tempted to say that something went wrong with your index, and that you might need to rebuild your index. Did you close your laptop at all while you were indexing?

I have tried working offline now. The problem remains. Hopefully it's the installation that went wrong. Must I remove Logos and re-download everything or can I force a re-indexing? 

Also - can I get rid of the "signing in" everytime I open Logos- Logos on my pc doesn't do that?

Thank you for all the answers. I appreciate the involvement in my troubles!

Posts 29893
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 6 2013 6:07 AM

ELA:
Also - can I get rid of the "signing in" everytime I open Logos- Logos on my pc doesn't do that?

Do you just mean the box with wheel that says "signing in" when the app is opening? If so, the answer is no. If you are getting the sign in box (where you can actually change your credentials), then there is an installation problem somewhere.

ELA:
Must I remove Logos and re-download everything or can I force a re-indexing? 

If you are anxious, you can try the command rebuild index. I think this <may> fix your problem, but I was only recently promoted to "half techie." In other words, please don't get mad if it doesn't work and there is a simple fix instead. Smile

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS