New Mac User with extremely sloooow Logos 5

Page 2 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 6 2013 6:37 AM

alabama24:

ELA:
Must I remove Logos and re-download everything or can I force a re-indexing? 

If you are anxious, you can try the command rebuild index. I think this <may> fix your problem, but I was only recently promoted to "half techie." In other words, please don't get mad if it doesn't work and there is a simple fix instead. Smile

Ok, I'll wait if to see if there is another solution.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 7 2013 4:23 PM

ELA:
Ok, I'll wait if to see if there is another solution.

One option is email to Logos Technical Support => http://www.logos.com/contact with reference to this thread.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 11:38 AM

OK, since nobody came up with another solution I'm going to try the 'rebuild index'. (I'll report back if this works!)

Just one question: I might have made a mistake when installing Logos. Instead of going to my orderpage, I downloaded the free engine - and afterwards signed in to my account - and the computer started downloading. Could that be it?  - and will that change the procedure (just before I start the indexing)

Posts 29889
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 11:43 AM

ELA:
I might have made a mistake when installing Logos. Instead of going to my orderpage, I downloaded the free engine - and afterwards signed in to my account - and the computer started downloading. Could that be it?

Nope. When L5 first came out, they limited the free engine to those who had purchased new base packages. For that reason alone you had to go to your orders page to get the link. The proper place now to download the engine is directly from the main Logos site: http://www.logos.com/installation 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 12:43 AM

alabama24:

If you are anxious, you can try the command rebuild index. I think this <may> fix your problem, but I was only recently promoted to "half techie." In other words, please don't get mad if it doesn't work and there is a simple fix instead. Smile

Now I really don't know what to do. Logos doesn't respond to the command 'rebuild index' (I'm sure I spelled it correct. I have tried many many times and checked in 'the help' that I did it correctly)

I type the command, hit the enter-button - and nothing happens!

Posts 29889
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 4:22 AM

I just remembered that there is a possibility that your UI isn't english… Am I right? I honestly don't know if the command is different or not in that case.

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 4:29 AM

Logos has started indexing now. After the lack of response Logos crashed. I tried again and it crashed again - sending crash reports to Logos. I restarted the computer - and after restart Logos started to index. So something did happen.

Now I wait and see. I think the indexing took about 6-7 hours when I first downloaded the program. I'll report back.

alabama24:

I just remembered that there is a possibility that your UI isn't english… Am I right? I honestly don't know if the command is different or not in that case.

I have set up Logos to work in English.  

Posts 29889
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 4:35 AM

Let us know. Tongue Tied

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 9:43 AM

The computer has finished indexing. I can work the library with the line-view. It's quite quick. Searching seems to be OK too. BUT - the major problem remains. When I use the tile-view (which I prefer) in the library, I still get the spinning pizza - now for more than a minute. Then the wheel stops and the program doesn't respond to input for another minute. Or crashes on me.

Since the program seems to work besides this (but I haven't spend a lot of time with it, so there may be other things going on as well) - is there a known problem with the library tile-view on mac?

(I remember there was something going on with the library tile-view on ipad for a season)

Posts 29889
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 10:28 AM

I'm not near my computer... What is "tile view"? Showing larger book covers? If so, I've never used that view... I'll check into it when I get home. 

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 10:52 AM

alabama24:

I'm not near my computer... What is "tile view"? Showing larger book covers? If so, I've never used that view... I'll check into it when I get home. 

Yes, it's the larger book covers with all the additional information in the line: collections, tags etc (It's works very well on the pc)

Posts 29889
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 11:50 AM

I am having difficulties with "tile view" as well. I'll create a Bug thread.

EDIT: HERE is the thread. 

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 1:53 PM

Embarrassed

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that. It would have been difficult to face another installation, download and reindexing 

Posts 29889
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 2:42 PM

ELA:
It would have been difficult to face another installation, download and reindexing 

I bet! 

Out of curiosity… was this issue (slowness in "tile" view) the primary issue all along, or was there other issues? I didn't see any reference to this issue in your original post...

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 4:03 PM

No, the program was really slow in every way. It also crashed several times. The reindexing was a good thing that improved the performance. I appreciate that a lot. Thanks for all your help and time!

Posts 2868
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 10:59 AM

Jack Caviness:

Lynden Williams:
Have you tried restarting the computer?

Spoken like a true Windows user Big Smile If it does not work, reboot.

Biggest lie misconception about Mac is that you don't have to reboot. It often helps to reboot a Mac. It gets the memory creap just as well as windows.

Posts 29889
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 11:10 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Biggest lie misconception about Mac is that you don't have to reboot. It often helps to reboot a Mac. It gets the memory creap just as well as windows.

I have no experience with Windows over the past 12 years or so. On ALL of my windows computers I have ever owned, I would need to restart 2-3 times per day. You are right that Macs do need to be restarted, but I need to restart every couple of weeks. Big difference. Wink

Posts 25335
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 11:37 AM

alabama24:
I have no experience with Windows over the past 12 years or so. On ALL of my windows computers I have ever owned, I would need to restart 2-3 times per day. You are right that Macs do need to be restarted, but I need to restart every couple of weeks. Big difference. Wink

It is rare that I restart my Windows computer more than once per week - and often not for longer than that. And most of the times I stop it because I want to (I might be planning to be out for a day and decide to turn the computer off) as opposed to need to.

Just for some current perspective.

Posts 29889
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 11:40 AM

Glad to know that MSFT has made some advancements. Stick out tongue

Posts 3194
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 12:46 PM

alabama24:

I am having difficulties with "tile view" as well. I'll create a Bug thread.

EDIT: HERE is the thread. 

Please follow the thread alabama24 created for updates to this issue. 

Page 2 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS