Looking for Dictionary of ANE Names/Constructions

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1978
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 9 2013 2:08 PM

I am reading A History of the Ancient Near East:  ca.  3000-323 BC by Marc Van De Mieroop, and in talking about Sargon of Akkad he says that he changed his name to Sharru-kin, which means "the king is legitimate."  There are many names in the book that have Sin in them, and I am curious to know what that means. 

Many names, including biblical names, have these types of extended meanings, and I was wondering if their is a resource or resources in Logos that define Ancient Near Eastern names and naming conventions.

Studies in Third Millennium Sumerian and Akkadian Personal Names by Robert A. Di Vito, is on Pre-Pub, and I am hoping that it will cover some of what I want, but is there anything else?  Maybe even something in another resource that isn't specifically about names?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1978
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 1:52 PM

Anyone?  MJ maybe?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 1:54 PM

This resource might be helpful http://www.logos.com/product/4236/dictionary-of-deities-and-demons-in-the-bible

Posts 8947
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 2:10 PM

I found a fascinating on-line database that may help -

Behind the Name

http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/ancient

It actually lists Sargon -

SARGON GENDER: Masculine USAGE: History PRONOUNCED: SAHR-gawn (English)   [key] Meaning & History From the Akkadian name Sharru-kinu meaning "true king". This was the name (or title) of the first emperor of Akkad (23rd century BC). It was also borne by the 7th-century BC Assyrian king Sargon II, who named himself after the first Sargon. Related Names OTHER LANGUAGES: Sharru-Kinu (Ancient Near Eastern)

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1978
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 2:54 PM

Philana Crouch:

This resource might be helpful http://www.logos.com/product/4236/dictionary-of-deities-and-demons-in-the-bible

I do have this one, and it is great, but it doesn't cover personal names.

Posts 1978
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 2:58 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I found a fascinating on-line database that may help -

Behind the Name

http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/ancient

It actually lists Sargon -

SARGON GENDER: Masculine USAGE: History PRONOUNCED: SAHR-gawn (English)   [key] Meaning & History From the Akkadian name Sharru-kinu meaning "true king". This was the name (or title) of the first emperor of Akkad (23rd century BC). It was also borne by the 7th-century BC Assyrian king Sargon II, who named himself after the first Sargon. Related Names OTHER LANGUAGES: Sharru-Kinu (Ancient Near Eastern)

This was very cool, and the type of thing I am looking for.  It covers some ancient personal names, but mostly only famous ones or those in mythology.  I did find some information here though!

Something like that which covers a broader category of Sumerian, Akkadian, Babylonian, Assyirian, etc... personal names is specifically what I wish I could find. 

Posts 1366
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 3:02 PM

Sin was a moon god. Most of the repeated snippets of personal names, in and out of Israel, were names of deities, e.g. the El-/-el and the J-/-iah prefixes/suffixes. DDD will cover the names of the deities, but not the personal names.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS