Copy citation feature in wrong format

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 24
Jason Harris | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 13 2013 2:02 AM

I have "Copy citations" set to "yes" and "Citation style" set to "MLA."

So I go to a book and look at the "Resource information" section where the citation shows as set to MLA and looks like this:

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. Wheaton: Standard Bible Society, 2001.

If I then copy a passage and paste it to MS Word 2010, the citation looks like this:

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton: Standard Bible Society, 2001) Mt 13:19–23.

I'm not sure either of these is proper MLA, but I know they can't both be.

The problem is consistent across a range of books. Logos is installed on a PC, Windows 7. The problem exists/persists across Logos 4, 5, and 5.1 (upgraded step by step over the last week). The problem is consistent across other citation formats.

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

Posts 44
Bob Fuller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 6:36 AM
I don't use MLA, but could the first entry be bibliographic and the second a footnote?
Posts 24
Jason Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 6:59 AM

I was under the impression that the only difference in such a case would be the specific page number/passage being cited. Am I mistaken?

Posts 44
Bob Fuller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 11:25 AM
As I said I do not use MLA, but there are generally several differences between a footnote and a bibliography - periods for parentheses, order, punctuation for publisher information. Check what you are actually asking for in each instance. I do know that your first form looks suspiciously like a bibliography entry, and the second like a footnote.
Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 11:39 AM

MLA has undergone a recent revision, so the citation format would need to be updated, especially:

:
In general, a work formatted for reading on an electronic device like Kindle, Nook, and iPad is covered by 5.7.18. Begin the entry in the works-cited list like the entry for a comparable printed work and end it with a designation of the medium of publication. The medium is the type of electronic file, such as Kindle file, Nook file, EPUB file, or PDF file. If you cannot identify the file type, use Digital file.

Personally, I find the new MLA format quite tedious. Some house-styles allow for a modified format, essentially older versions of MLA.

Until Logos has the updated MLA, you should go through the citations manually.

Posts 24
Jason Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 8:03 PM

@Bob Fuller, Thanks for the help with that. I didn't realise footnotes were treated differently to bibliography references in any format... live and learn. =)

@Lee, Yeah, I found the new MLA odd as well. I use APA6 for my academic work. Will have to go to manually correcting for now. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS