Searching

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Ronald E McMillan Jr | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 19 2013 1:28 PM

I used to own a program called Word Search, and the one feature that Word Search had that I cannot find in Logos is the ability to narrow a search that I have already run. An example would be if I ran a search for a specific verse, one that I know part of, but not all of it. Here is what I mean. Suppose I did not know the exact verse that says "For God so loved the world..." I used to be able to do a search for the word "God." Of course that would give me a huge return. But then, I could narrow my search and tell it to keep only the verses that I just found that also have the word "world" in them. That of course would eliminate many of the verses in my original search if not all but the one I was looking for. If there were still to many, I could narrow the results of my second search again by telling it to keep only the verses that have the word "love" in them; and I could keep narrowing the search until I found the verse I was looking for. Can that be done in Logos?

Other things that could be done with that same initial search would be to tell Word Search, that instead of keeping only the verses with the word "world" in them, I could tell it to discard all the verses with the word "world" in them (of course I would do that for a different reason than the first example). Any help would be appreciated.

I have the basic program with a minimal crossover.

Thank you,

Gene McMillan

Posts 462
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 1:53 PM

Ronald E McMillan Jr:

I used to own a program called Word Search, and the one feature that Word Search had that I cannot find in Logos is the ability to narrow a search that I have already run. An example would be if I ran a search for a specific verse, one that I know part of, but not all of it. Here is what I mean. Suppose I did not know the exact verse that says "For God so loved the world..." I used to be able to do a search for the word "God." Of course that would give me a huge return. But then, I could narrow my search and tell it to keep only the verses that I just found that also have the word "world" in them. That of course would eliminate many of the verses in my original search if not all but the one I was looking for. If there were still to many, I could narrow the results of my second search again by telling it to keep only the verses that have the word "love" in them; and I could keep narrowing the search until I found the verse I was looking for. Can that be done in Logos?

Other things that could be done with that same initial search would be to tell Word Search, that instead of keeping only the verses with the word "world" in them, I could tell it to discard all the verses with the word "world" in them (of course I would do that for a different reason than the first example). Any help would be appreciated.

I have the basic program with a minimal crossover.

Thank you,

Gene McMillan

This is one possibility: select bible search, match all word forms, type in words - God world love.

If the screenshots are not showing just click on the ?.  (the forum has this on going problem of not displaying images)

hope this helps.

OS X 10.14.6  |  Logos 8.8 

Posts 513
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:43 PM

Ronald E McMillan Jr:
Can that be done in Logos?

Hi Ronald, I too have WS but don't use it much, so I'm not that familiar with that search environment and behavior. In Logos, I can do a Bible search for "God", then if I chose, I can "narrow" the results by adding "AND world" (making it "God AND world"). From the user stand point, it can be seen as narrowing the search, but from the software standpoint, it is just doing a new search. 

However, I think what you are wanting to do is to take an established search result and run a new search on that.If that is the case, don't think that is possible, but somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:53 PM

Ronald,

You can try one of the following:

God AND world

or 

God WITHIN # WORDS world (choose a number)

Hope this helps.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:56 PM

Ronald E McMillan Jr:
... that I cannot find in Logos is the ability to narrow a search that I have already run.

Welcome Big Smile

Logos has option to copy search to a new panel, then search can be modified.  Screen shot shows Bible search for verses that have three words:

Second search is a copy of the first with world moved to the right and prefixed with a dash so the search finds verses with two words, which do not have world.

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Getting_Started_with_Logos#Search

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 513
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 9:38 PM

KS4J, I may be wrong, but I think what Ronald is looking for is to take out the verses with the word "world" from the first result set, which would by definition give fewer than 352 results. Your second result set has over 5,000. Perhaps he will chime back in.

Posts 24919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 9:59 PM

Ronald E McMillan Jr:
...If there were still to many, I could narrow the results of my second search again by telling it to keep only the verses that have the word "love" in them; and I could keep narrowing the search until I found the verse I was looking for. Can that be done in Logos?

As outlined above just add the relevant words to a Bible Search:-

God love world

Ronald E McMillan Jr:
Other things that could be done with that same initial search would be to tell Word Search, that instead of keeping only the verses with the word "world" in them, I could tell it to discard all the verses with the word "world" in them

Slightly different, but search for:-

God -world  (equivalent to God ANDNOT world)

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 2:06 AM

David P. Moore:
KS4J, I may be wrong, but I think what Ronald is looking for is to take out the verses with the word "world" from the first result set, which would by definition give fewer than 352 results.

Concur since zero results is fewer than 352 results:

Found fewer results in a collection of Bibles for verses that have God, love, & world, but not life so John 3:16 is not in the results.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS