Help finding same phrase in the Greek or Hebrew

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13
Michel D. Mahler | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 20 2013 7:18 AM

I am trying to find out how to use Logos to search to find every instance in which a particular phrase appears in the Greek or Hebrew (I cannot read or speak either). Is there a simple way a simple guy like myself can search for a phrase in the original languages so that I could make the point, "The exact same phrase is used in (Book, chapter, verse)" in order to give depth to the meaning and/or use of the phrase?

Or do I simply have to search for the phrase in English and compare each verse visually to see if the same phrase is used?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Posts 29918
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 7:34 AM

I don't know if I can be of much help... but it might be instructive if you could give us an example of a phrase you would be looking for. In that way, when someone explains to you how to go about it, you could see the steps they took.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 9:00 AM

John 11:21 and 11:32 have the same phrase spoken:

Who spoke in John 11:39 ?

Identical Greek words for the spoken phrases in John 11:21 and 11:32 differ by μου (of me) placement.  Greek words have different spellings to reflect grammatical usage so can arrange word(s) for emphasis.

In English, what could the phrase "What a bear !" mean ?

• Watching a bear in a zoo or outdoor setting ?
  • Market prices are rapidly falling ?
  • How was the test ?
  • A large, hairy man ?
  • Skeleton in a museum (dead zoo) ?
  • Paddington's Guide to London ?
  • ? ? ?

A phrase has meaning(s) within sentence(s), paragraph(s), etc.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13
Michel D. Mahler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 11:00 AM

For example, if I were looking at the phrase in 2 Cor. 6:14 at the phrase "ginomai may" translated "Do not be" (NKJV), are there any other instances in the Bible where a command is given using the phrase "ginomai may" preceding it?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 11:32 AM

Michel D. Mahler:

For example, if I were looking at the phrase in 2 Cor. 6:14 at the phrase "ginomai may" translated "Do not be" (NKJV), are there any other instances in the Bible where a command is given using the phrase "ginomai may" preceding?

At some point you are going to need access to the Greek.  That may be through Nestle-Aland or through an unmentionable.  I originally did this as a morphological search, but then changed it to a bible search to make it easier for you to accomplish.

(([field bible, content] μη) BEFORE 1 WORDS ([field bible, content] <lemma = lbs/el/γίνομαι>))

This will give you results in Nestle-Aland, the LXX and some English versions.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 27236
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 4:18 PM

Michel D. Mahler:

For example, if I were looking at the phrase in 2 Cor. 6:14 at the phrase "ginomai may" translated "Do not be" (NKJV), are there any other instances in the Bible where a command is given using the phrase "ginomai may" preceding it?

With access to a Greek bible you would select the two words, right click and then choose Search this resource, giving a search on "Μὴ γίνεσθε" (with quotes), giving other instances of that command.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 4:58 PM

Dave Hooton:

Michel D. Mahler:

With access to a Greek bible you would select the two words, right click and then choose Search this resource, giving a search on "Μὴ γίνεσθε" (with quotes), giving other instances of that command.

The problem is that such a search only finds the exact quote.  It will not find γινομαι in anything other than than the present 2nd pl impv.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 6:04 PM

Without some ability in the language, it might be difficult.

In your example, I'd search for "Do not be" in the English NKJV, and double-check with a reverse interlinear.

If all you need is to look up specific terms, doing a search with Strong Numbers might help.

Personally, I'd encourage you to pick up some language, and also learn about the possible pitfalls of drawing wrong conclusions from the original languages.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 6:27 PM

George Somsel:
The problem is that such a search only finds the exact quote.  It will not find γινομαι in anything other than than the present 2nd pl impv.

Morph search for:

@BN BEFORE 1 WORD lemma:γίνομαι@V??M

finds some negative imperative moods.  Changing morph search to:

@BN BEFORE 2 WORDS lemma:γίνομαι@V??M

includes Ephesians 5:7 while Romans 3:4 has a negated optative use of γινομαι that can be seen in NA28:

Wiki => http://wiki.logos.com/Extended_Tips_for_Highlighting_and_Visual_Filters#Examples_of_visual_filters includes link to thread => Visual Filter for what to do and not do

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27236
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 9:36 PM

George Somsel:

The request was for "any other instances in the Bible where a command is given using the phrase" in 2 Cor 6:14. The 5 results from that Greek phrase are more pertinent than the 22 others from the lemma search.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 10:21 PM

Dave Hooton:

George Somsel:

The request was for "any other instances in the Bible where a command is given using the phrase" in 2 Cor 6:14. The 5 results from that Greek phrase are more pertinent than the 22 others from the lemma search.

Perhaps.  That depends on how committed he is to the exact form of his question.

george
gfsomsel

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS