Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 22 2013 11:51 AM

Hi!  Smile

I am very close to purchasing the Verbum Capstone.  Just wondering where the Catholic/Verbum sub-forum is?  Or would it be the "Orthodox" sub-forum?  

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 6720
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2013 11:53 AM

The Orthodox is probably the closest one you will find.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2013 5:43 PM

Mr. Micawber:

Hi!  Smile

Just wondering where the Catholic/Verbum sub-forum is?  

There is no separate Verbum forum.  For the most part, we all hang out in the General and Logos 5 sub-forums.  Verbum is a tailored Logos 5.  Some of use the Verbum iOS application on our iPads and iPhones.  You may want to check out the Verbum Homepage.  There is a blog there with some helpful information.  Don't forget the Logos Catholic products page.

Is there a question about Verbum or the Capstone base package that you had?

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2013 6:08 PM

Steve:

Is there a question about Verbum or the Capstone base package that you had?

Thanks Steve!

Well, you've helped already actually.  I wasn't even aware of that Catholic products homepage.  Smile

I suppose I wanted to read the posts/threads of Verbum owners just to get a sense of what they find useful or don't.  

So the Verbum iOS app is really no different from the Logos iOS, just a matter of marketing?  And the same with the Verbum desktop?  

Thanks!

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2013 6:17 PM

Mr. Micawber:
So the Verbum iOS app is really no different from the Logos iOS, just a matter of marketing?  And the same with the Verbum desktop?  

The iOS apps are different the Logos one seems more robust. As for the desktop it seems to be mostly branding… You switch back and forth by  a command in the homepage bubble. Verbum on desktop may cause fuller integration of the fathers and catechism and deutroconical works, I am not sure of this.

-Dan

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2013 6:20 PM

Dan Francis:

The iOS apps are different the Logos one seems more robust. As for the desktop it seems to be mostly branding… You switch back and forth by  a command in the homepage bubble. Verbum on desktop may cause fuller integration of the fathers and catechism and deutroconical works, I am not sure of this.

-Dan

I see, thanks Dan!

I think I'd probably just use Logos 5 desktop and the Logos iOS then.

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2013 6:22 PM

There really ought to be a Catholic Products sub-forum. I find there's nowhere to go to post Catholic resource recommendations.

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2013 6:23 PM

Lynden Williams:

The Orthodox is probably the closest one you will find.

Thanks Lynden, that makes sense actually.  Smile

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2013 6:25 PM

Rosie Perera:

There really ought to be a Catholic Products sub-forum. I find there's nowhere to go to post Catholic resource recommendations.

Yes, I agree completely.  I'm a little lost in here!  This place seems huge, lol.  Help!  Big Smile

Well, it is a bit surprising that there's, say, an Orthodox sub-forum, but no Orthodox-styled product offering like Verbum, at least not that I know of.  

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 10:23 AM

Mr. Micawber:

The Verbum mode in Logos desktop enables the Verbum homepage feeds and pre-defined Verbum system collections (Catechism, Church Documents, Church Fathers), changes the default template for the Passage Guide, and on a first time installation, sets different default priorities for a few things--prioritizing Catholic Bibles and devotionals, and the Catholic Lectionary.

If you've already upgraded to Logos 5 before purchasing a Verbum packages, you'll need to use the command "set verbum to yes" to turn on Verbum mode.

The Verbum iOS app is fundamentally the same as the Logos iOS app, but it includes a different set of free books, different homepage feeds and has Faithlife integrated into the homepage.

Dan Francis:
The iOS apps are different the Logos one seems more robust.

The Faithlife integration is the only major additional feature in the Verbum app, so this is somewhat surprising to hear. We'd welcome reports of specific bugs and crashes.

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 10:28 AM

Mr. Micawber:
I am very close to purchasing the Verbum Capstone.

Verbum base packages are outstanding value - you won't regret getting it.

David

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 11:01 AM

Louis St. Hilaire:
The Faithlife integration is the only major additional feature in the Verbum app, so this is somewhat surprising to hear. We'd welcome reports of specific bugs and crashes.

I will download it again and take another look at it again. I admittedly only took a short look at it and was reading in the forums in was not a good replacement for Logos and took them at their word...

-Dan

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 3:37 PM

ACTUALLY I really like it,  I had thought functionality had really been compromised but in the end I like the navigation of features better than the Logos App. I also hadn't explored it much due to the desire not to download my books again. I am deleting  my logos app for Verbum only now...

-Dan

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 11:11 AM

Dan Francis:

ACTUALLY I really like it,  I had thought functionality had really been compromised but in the end I like the navigation of features better than the Logos App. I also hadn't explored it much due to the desire not to download my books again. I am deleting  my logos app for Verbum only now...

-Dan

Peace, Dan!                      Why delete?                    I have all 4 Logos apps going and use them for a multitude of purposes and projects ....    always set up for me ...     always ready, eh???                So easy to switch between apps ....

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 2:37 AM

Hello folks! 

I'm given to understand that Logos was planning to release a DVD set with 5 hours of instruction on how to get the most out of Verbum?  Has this been released?  Will this be released?  Is it necessary?  Are there other comparable instruction courses?  

Thanks ever so much!  

~ButtersSmile

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 4:11 AM

Butters:

Hello folks! 

I'm given to understand that Logos was planning to release a DVD set with 5 hours of instruction on how to get the most out of Verbum?  Has this been released?  Will this be released?  Is it necessary?  Are there other comparable instruction courses?  

Thanks ever so much!  

~ButtersSmile

You can read about the Catholic Practicum here.  I pre-ordered at the beginning of 2012.  It's been "in the works" for a while.  For some Catholic focused video segments look on the Training tab on the Verbum Blog here.   There are other training videos available.  Check the Logos Wiki - in the middle of the page there is a section on training videos, here.  These are free.  Among that list, but I'll mention specifically, long time forum member Mark Barnes has some excellent free videos here.  Logos offers a Camp Logos series.  You can see that list here.

Have fun!

Smile 

Posts 29474
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 4:11 AM

Milford Charles Murray:
Why delete?

The biggest reason to do so is for space reasons. I have several of the apps for testing purposes, but I only USE one. I'd rather have all my downloaded resources in a single app, and downloading the resources to more than one app doubles the space needed. Also, the app size itself isn't so bad (70MB or so), but if you have large note files, that is doubled, tripled, etc when you have multiple apps. This is perhaps no so bad if you have a 64 GB device… it can become a problem fairly quickly if you have a 16 GB one (like me). 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 4:33 AM

Steve:
Have fun!

Hey, thanks so much for your help Steve!  

Cheers,

~Butters Smile

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS