Best Christian Book of All Time

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 24 2013 3:26 AM

Logos, you should make sure you carry all the 64 books that went into the bracket for this tournament:

http://blog.emergingscholars.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Best-Christian-Book-of-All-Time.pdf

They are missing a whole bunch of great books, namely. Mere Christianity; Chronicles of Narnia; Lord of the Rings; Basic Christianity; The Cross of Christ; Complete Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins; Seven Storey Mountain; Ragamuffin Gospel; Celebration of Discipline; Sit, Walk, Stand; Silence; Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor; Mind of the Maker; A Long Obedience in the Same Direction; The Divine Conspiracy; The Christian Mind; The Brother Karamazov; The Power and the Glory; Les Miserables; Jane Eyre; Waiting for God; Pilgrim at Tinker Creek; Gilead.

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 3:43 AM

Les Misérables? Lord of the Rings? Jane Eyre? Paradise Lost? Clearly this selection is a bit broad, and more appropriate perhaps for a Vyrso treatment.

Some favs of mine are not even in the starting block, e.g. The Practice of the Presence of God / Pratique de la présence de Dieu

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 4:10 AM

Lee:
Some favs of mine are not even in the starting block, e.g. The Practice of the Presence of God / Pratique de la présence de Dieu

Look again. It even made it to the third round. And it already is in Logos.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 4:14 AM

I see it now, in the fine print. Thanks.

I see it in Logos too! $9.95 for a short public domain work ... will wait for a sale.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 4:24 AM

Check your price for the lowest Verbum package. You'd get so much more for your money (including the whole ECF if you don't have them).

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 4:31 AM

Rosie Perera:

Logos, you should make sure you carry all the 64 books that went into the bracket for this tournament:

http://blog.emergingscholars.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Best-Christian-Book-of-All-Time.pdf

My suggestion from multiple threads has been that Logos ought to buy one or two dozen copies of Take and Read: Spiritual Reading: An Annotated List, put them into the hands of all the product managers, and tell them to start getting the rights to the books recommended in it. I don't think they sell even half of them. It's embarrassing.

Then, of course, they should also publish the book itself and give it away for free. It ought to pay for itself several times over in increased sales.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 4:32 AM

Lee:
Les Misérables? Lord of the Rings? Jane Eyre? Paradise Lost? Clearly this selection is a bit broad, and more appropriate perhaps for a Vyrso treatment.

Logos already sells Paradise Lost:

http://www.logos.com/product/329/paradise-lost

And none of the others is any different in genre from what's available in the Harvard Classics Fiction collection.

Yes, perhaps these sorts of things could be done in Vyrso. But the Logos editions are much nicer. Cleaner crisper text, easier to read. And of course if it's a scholarly edition with footnotes that refer to other stuff in my Logos library, I'd want those links hooked up.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 4:35 AM

Lee:
Some favs of mine are not even in the starting block

What isn't in the starting block, though, is Thérèse of Lisieux. And that is really embarrassing.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 5:00 AM

fgh:
What isn't in the starting block, though, is Thérèse of Lisieux. And that is really embarrassing.

Logos already sells Thérèse of Lisieux's Story of a Soul.

The main point I was trying to make with that post was here are a whole bunch of other great books that Logos doesn't sell yet, and they should. I didn't mean to start a whole critique about the quality of that starting set of 64 books as a way of choosing the best Christian book of all time. It's not the list I would have chosen. Purpose-Driven Life? Puh-lease! And I wouldn't have included Jane Eyre, great classic though it is. (Not surprising that those didn't make it past the first round.) But I won't quibble with Augustine's Confessions as the all-time winner. That seems fair.

Anyway, I reiterate: my main point was to give a bunch of suggestions to Logos for books they should get.

Posts 1812
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 5:41 AM

Rosie Perera:

That is a bracket that I would LOVE to see for March Madness...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 12:32 PM

Rosie Perera:
The main point I was trying to make with that post was here are a whole bunch of other great books that Logos doesn't sell yet, and they should.

I know, and I agree. I was just trying to widen the list a bit. I would imagine virtually all of 'your' missing books are on Peterson's lists as well.

Isn't he from Regent, by the way? I would have expected you to support my suggestion.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5320
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 12:46 PM

This is one of the most pathetic lists I've ever seen. Yeah, just my opinion, but "WOW!" some of the stuff on this is laughable.  Roll Eyes

If this is best that Christianity has to offer, Christianity is in a heap of trouble.

Hmm

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 9580
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 1:36 PM

David Paul:

This is one of the most pathetic lists I've ever seen. Yeah, just my opinion, but "WOW!" some of the stuff on this is laughable.  Roll Eyes

If this is best that Christianity has to offer, Christianity is in a heap of trouble.

Hmm

I'm certainly not saying I like everything on the list but in light of your comments I'd be interested in seeing your list.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 5320
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 1:42 PM

Don't have one and don't see any point in trying to create one...but if I were asked to produce a list of titles for Bible students, it would include primarily language resources and historical resources.

For the sake of explanation, the reason theology would hardly rank on my list is because prophecy undercuts most theology.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 2248
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 1:57 PM

Wouldn't some of that be best put under Noet?  I was thinking that Noet was eventually going to start adding more and more serious secular literature, and works like LOTR, even though it has Christian themes, would be great there.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 2:17 PM

Seriously? The Chronicles of Narnia beat out Pilgrim's Progress the best selling book of all time?

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 2:51 PM

Kent:

Seriously? The Chronicles of Narnia beat out Pilgrim's Progress the best selling book of all time?

The competition wasn't for "best selling" but "best." PP has probably outsold Narnia since it's been around much longer. But current voters are probably more likely to pick Narnia over PP because of familiarity. One could argue that Pilgrim's Progress has had a more significant impact in its 335 years, or that it's better literature (maybe), but it's probably not as beloved nowadays as The Chronicles of Narnia.

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 2:55 PM

I would vote (I know no one really cares) for PP still today. It is one resource I continually return to.

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 6:26 PM

Kent:

I would vote (I know no one really cares) for PP still today. It is one resource I continually return to.

I've read it and loved it and would read it again and again. But I would do so with Narnia as well. It's a toss-up which one I would vote for as my preferred book between the two.

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 6:34 PM

Rosie Perera:
...beloved nowadays as The Chronicles of Narnia.

...for Aslan!!!  Smile

I love the movies too.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS