Account for sale

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19
John | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 24 2013 8:25 AM

Hi All:

I am exhausted with trying to use logos software. Just too steep a learning curve for me. Can anyone tell me how/where to put my collection up for sale?

(I am not wishing to be illegal in the mention. I presume I have the right to sell my copy and hope for a known safe environment to do so.)

John

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 8:36 AM

Peace, John!            *smile*

It would be great if somehow you "found your way" on this great program; however, I guess I must admit that perhaps there are some lovely people who don't find Logos 5 helpful!                 I'd love to encourage you to start all over again and to use these forums for help and support and encouragement...       

Many of us would love to be of assistance to you ...    indeed!

If still you feel you need to sell, MVP Brother Thomas has a website that others have used, since selling Logos Resources on these forums is against the Forum Guidelines ...

The website is http://www.stilltruth.com/

BTW, please ....    of possible interest to others  ....               what is your Logos Base?

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 8:43 AM

This illustrates 1 of 2 reasons I don't recommend Logos to anyone (though I use it daily and like it). (1) Too steep a learning curve. and (2) Too steep a pricing curve.

Imagine the market if both of those got some attention from the Bellingham strategists.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 8:49 AM

Blessings, Denise!                         Honestly, I don't understand!              *smile*

If you use Logos Bible Software Daily       .................                              and                ..........     if you like it,  ....    (which I most certainly and emphatically do, also!!!!)          ............         then why, please, the two negative reasons for your not recommending Logos to others ...

I do grant you that there is a learning curve   ..............                 but, there's a learning curve to lots of things in life, eh???

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 9:08 AM

Now Milford. You've had a long fruitful life and an exciting future ahead of you with 'you know who'. No names, but how many people do you know that you'd recommend Logos5 (in your daily life; not internet). Most of my friends I'd probably suggest eSword or Olivetree. Easy on the learning; easy on the wallet. Even our pastor I don't suggest because he's busily trying to increase attendance and is scrimping so the missionaries can get more support.

Posts 9578
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 10:05 AM

Denise:

Now Milford. You've had a long fruitful life and an exciting future ahead of you with 'you know who'. No names, but how many people do you know that you'd recommend Logos5 (in your daily life; not internet). Most of my friends I'd probably suggest eSword or Olivetree. Easy on the learning; easy on the wallet. Even our pastor I don't suggest because he's busily trying to increase attendance and is scrimping so the missionaries can get more support.

I recommend Logos to everyone I know that has an interest in seriously studying the Bible. It is a not inexpensive but it is the best.

I don't understand your comment about your pastor. At a bare minimum he should be interested in learning how to save time in his study of the Word which should allow him more time to work on less important issues like increasing attendance.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 10:18 AM

Denise:
(1) Too steep a learning curve.

Yep. Another good reason for Logos to focus on human factors / usability engineering / HCI and to provide the "Missing Manual" as part of the software.  Having to pay hundreds of dollars to learn how to use the software could drive new customers to other product offerings.

David

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 10:39 AM

Now, Bruce. Surely you didn't mean to imply 'he should be interested in learning how to save time in his study of the Word which should allow him more time to work on less important issues like increasing attendance' as if only an expensive computer software could achieve that goal?  Especially since he has a competing software product for which he happily (and significantly) bests me on pricing.

Posts 9578
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 11:09 AM

Denise:

Now, Bruce. Surely you didn't mean to imply 'he should be interested in learning how to save time in his study of the Word which should allow him more time to work on less important issues like increasing attendance' as if only an expensive computer software could achieve that goal?  Especially since he has a competing software product for which he happily (and significantly) bests me on pricing.

Now Denise, you forgot to mention he already has good Bible software he is using. I got the impression from your post that he wasn't using any software so yes I was implying that he would save time if he used Logos. I get you point that Logos is not for everyone but to me it is the best.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 11:33 AM

Now Bruce. You've dug yourself in further (accidentally no doubt). Absent computer software, our pastor would not achieve either of your two points? 

Actually I read his sermons (he posts them for about 5,000 readers each Sunday), and try to imagine from whense he's getting some of the points.  Surely not from the WOG (some suggesting authored and made understandable by the Spirit of God)?

Please don't be offended. I understand what you're saying.

Posts 9578
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 11:59 AM

I'm not offended Denise and I hope you are not offended either. I too think I understand what you are saying so I guess we both understand now.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 12:41 PM

Denise:

Blessings, Denise!                              I truly appreciate so very much your great humour in so many of your posts!         Thank you so very kindly -- and Thank God for your Esprit de Corps and joyous abandon!  It often pleases me!                  *smile*

My life is truly fruitful on a daily basis indeed and I live in the present trusting God for the future.  In my congregation I'm constantly sharing my Logos' Experience and am trying to encourage my fellow members who like the digital world to get involved in Logos.

I'm disappointed that most of them aren't even willing to try to study the Word digitally although that would free them more than they could possibly imagine.   I've often invited them to come into my own home and to let me demonstrate but have only had about 7 or 8 to take me up on it in the four years I've been in my present home.        I will most definitely keep on trying, and for those willing to take a chance and to make a sincere effort, I believe they will be truly enriched by the experience.

Like you said, there are other programs like e-sword and Olive Tree and great programs like http://www.theword.net/ that are also good and perhaps cheaper - depending upon what one desires.

These are great programs also.         To each his own.      But, my main point ...    it is not necessary to "knock Logos" for their software.  I guess I'm an unrepentant Logos fan; however, people do have the right to vote with their wallet -- using Logos or not using it according to their desires...                   Logos Bible Software is NOT easy to operate; but, it is most certainly worth the effort ...             so I will keep on trying to get members of my congregation to use it and to "plug in" to the FaithLife Private Group that I've started.    

We'll see what happens!           *smile*                     It IS exciting!  Our next project, starting in August, is a digital congregational newsletter delivered in .pdf by e-mail with a few "hard copies" printed for those without e-mail to pick up at Sunday Worship.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 2:40 PM

I've been recommending L5 to 5 different persons in 4 different Churches up until now when the Revised English Bible is shipping. One of these persons I didn't update about the Revised English Bible because I think he was too interested in an old commentary set (I had told him that a newer one is coming and he is considering waiting for the newer.) Most of these people were just looking for a way to start reading the Bible in English more and didn't need anything else. The software is freeware which is a great way to tell about it.

Starter is lousy. Only $59.99 - Logos 3.0 Bible Study Library (includes NIV84 and TNIV) is a little better and I've seen sogol many times posting on community.logos.com.
Bronze is cheap and works temporarily but is perhaps not among the best options. It has the best balance of functionality. I recommend to complement with New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible (5 vols.) and to try manage with the Baker Encyclopedia until NIDB ships.

Biblical Languages is somewhat good.

Silver is so-so, it has many more great titles than Bronze.

Gold has UBS Translator's Handbook so it's good for those who want to compare English Bible versions. What adds uncertainty is simply the size of this base-package, personally I would have no use for most of it.

I wouldn't recommend the higher base-packages to anyone. Platinum is really not good value and has too many titles but has an Anabaptist/Mennonite commentary set. Diamond and Portfolio are worthless.

None of the Verbum base-packages are good, but perhaps they will evolve years from now, so at a much later point I might recommend a new base-package. But I definitely don't recommend starting now.

So the main problem are all the base-package. I really hope they will be remade.

I'm also an Accordance user. Although I have much less there. I often mention it too, but it doesn't suit as well those who only need 2-3 Bibles of which one in Swedish.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 3:12 PM

Stilltruth is OK for that. Which Library do You have?
The registration link to Stilltruth is hidden at the bottom of the blog:

JohnR:
I am exhausted with trying to use logos software. Just too steep a learning curve for me. Can anyone tell me how/where to put my collection up for sale?

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 3:30 PM

Unix:
Diamond and Portfolio are worthless.

Of course that is just an opinion. My Portfolio includes the complete contents of each subordinate package. So if there is any value to be found in any package my Portfolio package can at least match the benefits or exceed them. 

I am very happy with Portfolio.

As for learning curves; anything worthwhile takes a little effort. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 19
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 8:10 AM

HI guys thanks for your patience with the inquiry and your thoughtful replies.

I hadn't mentioned my library on account of not wanting to "sell" it here. As a couple have asked, I will advise that I have the Scholar's Library.

It is not currently marketed by logos. It sits just below Gold (per Logos recommended upgrade suggestions).

I am not clear on exactly how it compares to Silver.

Truth be told, I started thinking (dreaming) of times with my Lord through the Logos lens with the first edition of Logos YEARS ago. Next came an upgrade to Libronix X (I think) and then "the cloud" (current) Logos solution. In all the years, the actual function of my time with Logos has been in fighting installs or user interface. I remember even buying a Dead Sea Scrolls add-on once, that made it through install and then was lost to a computer upgrade until they have once again become lost scrolls.

Through the years I have spent well over $1300, but the real issue is the TIME. Wow, the hours I have spent with the program rather than my Lord is sinful. How many know it isn't the software sinning? It is my fault that I have allowed the software to add fuel to my already lame will towards devotion to study. Ever buy a book to know Him more only to have it sit, unread, on the shelf.

How many times have I found myself in a place of centeredness to really get serious with God's Word, only to find myself looking at a software screen, wondering how to get at anything, leading to the promise of a forum, leading to a video, leading to the promise of a seminar. Landing on 40 hours of software study. Oh, if only I lived where those seminars were... if only... if only.

Clearly Logos must be great for so many to get so much out of it. For others, maybe us who have just a little time each day to be with God, at least for me, it hasn't proven to be so good. I so love the enlightenment that can come with study. I explode with joy when a Greek "pop-up" brings revelation. That is, when and if I can get to the Word (in Greek or otherwise). I think for me, it is time to read paper and just listen for His voice, give up the idea of a notated-bible-in-the-cloud for my kids and just sit simply with the Holy Spirit in my time in the word. 

Be great if I could have all the rest. I just can't seem to get there. Anyone else ever been here. I bet they are not on this forum to find this post...

(thanks for the suggested venues for selling the library)

Peace

John

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 8:23 AM

Gee, John. We're waiting at StillTruth to see your entry.  fgh nailed me when I missed the perfect resource on sale at StillTruth.

More seriously, a VERY nice discussion. Thank you.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 10:58 AM

Peace, John!             *smile*                   Very beautiful words indeed!             Thank you so very kindly for sharing your "heart" -- your Faith -- your Hopes and Dreams!

May Jesus and the Holy Spirit of God enrich your every moment in closeness and Devotion to Him and to His Ecclesia!              *smile*

Also, may you find a good way to sell your Logos Resources.  There is real "value" there!          *smile*

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2013 4:26 PM

JohnR:
... I so love the enlightenment that can come with study. I explode with joy when a Greek "pop-up" brings revelation. That is, when and if I can get to the Word (in Greek or otherwise).

Thankful for visual filter highlighting that combines hundreds of search results to show range of verbal expression in Greek, English, and Spanish.

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Extended_Tips_for_Highlighting_and_Visual_Filters#Examples_of_visual_filters plus Thankful for Logos enabling the free sharing of highlighting palettes and visual filters.

JohnR:
Anyone else ever been here.

For a number of years after purchasing Series X Scholar's Library.  Thankful for Logos 4 alpha pre-releases on Mac so slowly learned Logos 4 features as they were exposed for use on Mac.  Irony: after learning Logos 4, now can use Libronix 3 and Series X.  Thankful for many new features in Logos 5; lessons learned in Logos 4 are usable in Logos 5.  Thankful for Logos 5 search having many examples.

Thankful for many friendly forum discussions: have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn.  Thankful for a wiki page => http://wiki.logos.com/Getting_Started_with_Logos that resulted from a discussion.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS