A couple of VERY SPECIFIC questions

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5
Corby Amos | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:08 PM

1st - When using the ESV Reverse Interlinear Bible, one right clicks on a word; a box pops up where you can choose Lemma (for example) from the right hand choices.  On the left, are some more choices which all appear in a box that you can scroll down in to see more selections.  The bottom segment of selections are dictionaries.

How can I change which dictionaries appear (only a couple of my prioritized ones show up - the rest I don't want)?

And How can I move them up in in the white box above other things - i use them the most and don't like scrolling to get to them.

2nd - I want to know if there is a way to set up a default passage guide layout (different from saving and selecting saved named layout)?  In other words, a saved named layout opens up to the specific verses and and tabs, etc. that you had open when you saved it.

I want to be able to start a new passage guide and have it open up exactly how I want it without having to move windows, change tabs, delete things like "literary typing", delete the INFO window, delete the TEXT COMPARISON window, etc.???

3rd - I can't find any detailed info on how to make a collection.  It makes no sense that I can' right click on a book and add it to a collection.  The build collection process in tools:collections is very awkward.  There are also "collections" showing up in the passage guide that don't show up in the collections tools:collections area.  I don't want them and can find where to delete them???

Thanks,

Corby Amos

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:18 PM

The answer to your first question is "you can't", and "you can't". Sorry.

The answer to your second question I'll leave for someone else.

I've produced two video tutorials on collections that I hope you'll find helpful. Follow the link in my signature. It's a very powerful feature. The collections you can see are 'automatic' ones, that I don't think you can delete. They were built into Logos 3, too, and come with your resources.

Posts 693
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:34 PM

To make a new passage guide that is custom and has what you would like:

Click guides

Click make a new guide template

You can then choose which type of guide you want to create and simply can click the "x" to remove items from that guide.

Name the guide and it will be available from the Guides tab whenever you'd like and can be saved in your custom layouts.

Posts 693
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:37 PM

As for Collections:

Click Tools

Click Collections

Click New

Give the Collection a name

Use the "Start with" box to search for resources. (Example - Apologetics - L4 will then select resources linked with Apologetics and then you can drag the resources you want to the add column. You can use multiple searches to build the collection you like.

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 8:18 PM

CorbyAmos:
1st - When using the ESV Reverse Interlinear Bible, one right clicks on a word; a box pops up where you can choose Lemma (for example) from the right hand choices.  On the left, are some more choices which all appear in a box that you can scroll down in to see more selections.  The bottom segment of selections are dictionaries.

How can I change which dictionaries appear (only a couple of my prioritized ones show up - the rest I don't want)?

You can hide any dictionaries that you never want to see anywhere. Go to: Tools > Program Settings > Hidden Resources (then drag resources you want to hide from your library onto this section). But that might be overkill for this particular situation. I don't believe you can limit the number that show up here any other way. Might be a good thing to request on the Suggestions forum.

CorbyAmos:
And How can I move them up in in the white box above other things - i use them the most and don't like scrolling to get to them.

Odd. I don't have to scroll to see them.  Try setting your "Program Scaling" (under Tools > Program Settings) to something smaller and you'll be able to squeeze more of Logos onto your screen. If it's not very readable at that smaller size, then maybe you need to get a larger screen and set it at a higher screen resolution.

CorbyAmos:
2nd - I want to know if there is a way to set up a default passage guide layout (different from saving and selecting saved named layout)?  In other words, a saved named layout opens up to the specific verses and and tabs, etc. that you had open when you saved it.

You can create a custom guide. Read up on Passage Guides by following all the links you can under "Passage Guide Questions" on the "Tips from the Forum" page of the Logos wiki. There should be a better organization of that info but for now that's where you can find it.

CorbyAmos:
3rd - I can't find any detailed info on how to make a collection. 

I'll second Mark Barnes' recommendation for his videos. They are excellent!

CorbyAmos:
It makes no sense that I can' right click on a book and add it to a collection.

Same here. I've already requested that feature.

CorbyAmos:
There are also "collections" showing up in the passage guide that don't show up in the collections tools:collections area.  I don't want them and can find where to delete them???

I can't find any documentation about what goes in the Collections section of a passage guide, but I think it searches for any references to that passage across all books that appear in any of your collections.  I don't think that section would be particularly useful for me, because I've followed Mark's idea and created a "Not highly rated" collection which includes most of my library (1352 resources). It would only slow down the generation of the passage guide, so I don't include that section in my custom passage guide.

Hope that helps!

Posts 32949
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:43 PM

Rosie Perera:
CorbyAmos:
There are also "collections" showing up in the passage guide that don't show up in the collections tools:collections area.  I don't want them and can find where to delete them???

I can't find any documentation about what goes in the Collections section of a passage guide,

The Collections appear, I believe, only on customized guides.  You use them to specify which of your collections you wish to have it show and it shows hits only in that collection. I've used several to subdivide my commentaries and then delete the standard commentary entry from the Guide. In fact, I think someone on another thread asked for the ability to subdivide the commentaries without realizing that we already have the capability.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 2:44 AM

MJ. Smith:

The Collections appear, I believe, only on customized guides.  You use them to specify which of your collections you wish to have it show and it shows hits only in that collection. I've used several to subdivide my commentaries and then delete the standard commentary entry from the Guide. In fact, I think someone on another thread asked for the ability to subdivide the commentaries without realizing that we already have the capability.

It was I who cut down the cherry tree, asked for the ability to subdivide the commentaries. The commentaries section works entirely differently to the collections section, hence the request. The commentaries section provides links to the 'headings' where the verse is primarily discussed. The collections section searches a collection for any references to a verse, and will return multiple results per verse.

I use the collections section of a PG for things like collections of Bible Dictionaries, Systematic Theologies, Bible Background and the like.

Posts 5
Corby Amos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 5:33 AM

Mark,

Excellent tutorials!

Thanks,

Corby

Posts 5
Corby Amos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 5:38 AM

Rosie,

Thanks for the ideas...I'll try them all.

My screen is 15.6" with a very high resolution - 1300 something x 700 something if I remember correctly.

I may have more questions after I try all of everyones suggestions...that's usually how it works.

Thanks again to everybody!

Corby Amos

www.thejbomb.blogspot.com

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 9:50 AM

Mark Barnes:
It was I who cut down the cherry tree, asked for the ability to subdivide the commentaries. The commentaries section works entirely differently to the collections section, hence the request. The commentaries section provides links to the 'headings' where the verse is primarily discussed. The collections section searches a collection for any references to a verse, and will return multiple results per verse.
I have also requested this in the Mac forum and posted in the Suggestions forum.  With the number of commentaries, this is really a must have to make them more accessible.  Yes

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS