Logos putting 'new content' on Community Pricing!

Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 50 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1721
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:32 AM

Some of you noticed that we put the next nine volumes of the Spurgeon Commentary on Community Pricing, not Pre-Pub.

I just wanted to emphasize the underlying message: Logos really does want to make Bible study content available to as many people as possible at the lowest prices we can. Community Pricing is a really useful tool for finding the shape of the price / demand curve.

(1,000 people paying $10 returns $10,000 in sales -- and so does 1 person paying $10,000. But maybe 1,000 buyers is unlikely, and 1 person paying $10,000 is also unlikely. Would 10 people pay $1,000? Would 100 pay $100? 400 pay $25? They all net $10,000, but it can be hard to know what is the lowest price that will maximize units. Community Pricing helps us discover that.)

While Spurgeon's works are in the public domain, the Spurgeon Commentary is a new editorial product that we are producing here at Logos: it is a collation, compilation, and re-organization of Spurgeon's sermons and other writing into a more familiar and easy-to-use 'verse by verse' commentary. While we aren't re-writing Spurgeon, we are doing a large amount of new editorial work.

The Spurgeon Commentary: Galatians volume was a success on Pre-Pub, but we're wondering if we could serve more people at a lower price. The nine-volume (already at 60% for just $35!) is an experiment to find out. If it works, we'll look at offering more of our original editorial products, not just older content, through Community Pricing.

-- Bob

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:47 AM

Knowing that the Spurgeon Commentary was a Logos produced product, I was surprised to see it on CP.  I thought this was cool... but now that I read your rationale, it is even cooler. Your objectives are extremely commendable!  Nice!

Posts 2143
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:48 AM

Thanks Bob, for this update and explanation on why Logos is doing this.  I look forward to seeing this as a finished product.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 9:07 AM

Bob Pritchett:
If it works, we'll look at offering more of our original editorial products, not just older content, through Community Pricing.

Yes

(It would have been very interesting to have seen what had happened if you'd put Aquinas' Commentary on the Prophet Isaiah: English and Latin (2 vols.) on prepub, and Aquinas' Commentary on the Prophet Jeremiah: English and Latin (2 vols.) on CP (or the other way around). Which would have finished first, and which would have gone cheapest?)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 9:30 AM

Bob Pritchett:
I just wanted to emphasize the underlying message: Logos really does want to make Bible study content available to as many people as possible at the lowest prices we can. Community Pricing is a really useful tool for finding the shape of the price / demand curve.

This is a great strategy Bob and is much appreciated. Thanks! I hope it is successful which will lead to more resources like this in the future.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1268
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 9:59 AM

The Spurgeon commentaries are a great idea! Instead of combing through Spurgeons sermons and other writings to find his interpretation of a given passage we can go to these resources! 

Bob Pritchett:
If it works, we'll look at offering more of our original editorial products

This is great news Bob! I'm looking forward to what this means for other authors that have much to say on the Bible, but are less accessable than a commentary. Maybe say, a similiar commentary built up from Jonathan Edwards' works.... (his Blank Bible, Notes on Scripture, and Miscellanies combined with his other writings thoughts on Scripture would be an amazing resource!).

Excited to see where the editorial projects go!

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 10:20 AM

Bob, I'd like to add my thanks too for this interesting experiment!  I hope it is a roaring success for both Logos and users, and is the start of a new trend for Logos making available a large number of its own resources in this way!

Posts 57
Don Brundige | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 10:54 AM

I believe if Spurgeon were alive he would preach against your lust for money as you rape his writings.

Posts 2775
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 11:04 AM

Don Brundige:

I believe if Spurgeon were alive he would preach against your lust for money as you rape his writings.

Hi Don;

Something is definitely going on to have caused you to be upset. Please get peace. If you have not done so already, give Logos a call to discuss the primary issue. They are reasonable and I'm very sure peace will be found.

Posts 1268
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 12:13 PM

Don Brundige:

I see nothing wrong with what Logos is doing here. Making a profit in your business so that you (and people who work for you) can live, and reorganizing Spurgeons works so that they are more useful to people (something very different than rape) are good things.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 12:30 PM

Don Brundige:

Don, there are many resources I wouldn't buy because I don't care for their approach or their subject.  If you don' like something, I suggest you might do the same rather than badmouth the company.  After all, there are those who like the offerings or they wouldn't be made.  We really don't need your venom here.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 12:41 PM

Don Brundige:

I think Spurgeon would be honoured and pleased that his writings would be made available in this format. I know I am.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 2:50 PM

Contrary to the  one malcontent, I applaud this effort and have entered my bid for the CP and the Pre-Pub. Great idea.

Posts 3068
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 4:24 PM

I am on board with this idea and have voted with my hard earned dollars. As an extension of this idea, I would much like to see the offering of Greek authors like Plato and Latin authors such as Augustine in their original languages to use along with the translated versions we have in some of our libraries.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.4

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 4:35 PM

Beloved:

I am on board with this idea and have voted with my hard earned dollars. As an extension of this idea, I would much like to see the offering of Greek authors like Plato and Latin authors such as Augustine in their original languages to use along with the translated versions we have in some of our libraries.

You mean like this?

ὦ παῖ Κλεινίου, οἶμαί σε θαυμάζειν ὅτι πρῶτος ἐραστής σου γενόμενος τῶν ἄλλων πεπαυμένων μόνος οὐκ ἀπαλλάττομαι, καὶ ὅτι οἱ μὲν ἄλλοι διʼ ὄχλου ἐγένοντό σοι διαλεγόμενοι, ἐγὼ δὲ τοσούτων ἐτῶν οὐδὲ προσεῖπον. τούτου δὲ τὸ αἴτιον γέγονεν οὐκ ἀνθρώπειον, ἀλλά τι δαιμόνιον ἐναντίωμα, οὗ σὺ τὴν δύναμιν καὶ ὕστερον πεύσῃ. νῦν δὲ [103b] ἐπειδὴ οὐκέτι ἐναντιοῦται, οὕτω προσελήλυθα· εὔελπις δʼ εἰμὶ καὶ τὸ λοιπὸν μὴ ἐναντιώσεσθαι αὐτό. σχεδὸν οὖν κατανενόηκα ἐν τούτῳ τῷ χρόνῳ σκοπούμενος ὡς πρὸς τοὺς ἐραστὰς ἔσχες· πολλῶν γὰρ γενομένων καὶ μεγαλοφρόνων οὐδεὶς ὃς οὐχ ὑπερβληθεὶς τῷ φρονήματι ὑπὸ σοῦ πέφευγεν. [104a] τὸν δὲ λόγον, ᾧ ὑπερπεφρόνηκας, ἐθέλω διελθεῖν. οὐδενὸς φῂς ἀνθρώπων ἐνδεὴς εἶναι εἰς οὐδέν· τὰ γὰρ ὑπάρχοντά σοι μεγάλα εἶναι, ὥστε μηδενὸς δεῖσθαι, ἀπὸ τοῦ σώματος ἀρξάμενα τελευτῶντα εἰς τὴν ψυχήν. οἴει γὰρ δὴ εἶναι πρῶτον μὲν κάλλιστός τε καὶ μέγιστοσ—καὶ τοῦτο μὲν δὴ παντὶ δῆλον ἰδεῖν ὅτι ουʼ ψεύδῃ—ἔπειτα νεανικωτάτου γένους ἐν τῇ σεαυτοῦ πόλει, οὔσῃ μεγίστῃ τῶν Ἑλληνίδων, καὶ [104b] ἐνταῦθα πρὸς πατρός τέ σοι φίλους καὶ συγγενεῖς πλείστους εἶναι καὶ ἀρίστους, οἳ εἴ τι δέοι ὑπηρετοῖεν ἄν σοι, τούτων δὲ τοὺς πρὸς μητρὸς οὐδὲν χείρους οὐδʼ ἐλάττους. συμπάντων δὲ ὧν εἶπον μείζω οἴει σοι δύναμιν ὑπάρχειν Περικλέα τὸν Ξανθίππου, ὃν ὁ πατὴρ ἐπίτροπον κατέλιπε σοί τε καὶ τῷ ἀδελφῷ· ὃς ουʼ μόνον ἐν τῇδε τῇ πόλει δύναται πράττειν ὅτι ἂν βούληται, ἀλλʼ ἐν πάσῃ τῇ Ἑλλάδι καὶ τῶν βαρβάρων ἐν πολλοῖς καὶ μεγάλοις γένεσιν. προσθήσω δὲ καὶ ὅτι τῶν [104c] πλουσίων· δοκεῖς δέ μοι ἐπὶ τούτῳ ἥκιστα μέγα φρονεῖν. κατὰ πάντα δὴ ταῦτα σύ τε μεγαλαυχούμενος κεκράτηκας τῶν ἐραστῶν ἐκεῖνοί τε ὑποδεέστεροι ὄντες ἐκρατήθησαν, καί σε ταῦτʼ ουʼ λέληθεν· ὅθεν δὴ εὖ οἶδα ὅτι θαυμάζεις τί διανοούμενός ποτε οὐκ ἀπαλλάττομαι τοῦ ἔρωτος, καὶ ἥντινʼ ἔχων ἐλπίδα ὑπομένω τῶν ἄλλων πεφευγότων.

From the Perseus collection.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3068
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 4:55 PM

George Somsel:
You mean like this?

Yes George,

Like that. What I had in mind, was the Dialogues which I just received from CP. I thought it would include the Greek.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.4

Posts 57
Don Brundige | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 5:28 PM

Liam,

I don't think you know what rape is. When the victim (Spurgeon) has no voice in the matter (he is dead) ...

Oh, now you are his voice? you have a say in how he wanted his writings to be used by  LOGOS to further their business?

really ? you THINK he would just want LOGOS signed up for the millions $$  based on his thoughts and writings??

Posts 57
Don Brundige | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 5:36 PM

I'm sorry George .... I didn't realize it was a venom free zone. 

Go back to your euphoria. I'll leave you to sugar emotion. peace and happiness to all ... how's that. 

I bet I've invested more in the company than you, George.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 5:37 PM

Don Brundige:

Liam,

I don't think you know what rape is. When the victim (Spurgeon) has no voice in the matter (he is dead) ...

Oh, now you are his voice? you have a say in how he wanted his writings to be used by  LOGOS to further their business?

really ? you THINK he would just want LOGOS signed up for the millions $$  based on his thoughts and writings??

But YOU apparently think you are his voice. 

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 5:38 PM

Don Brundige:

I'm sorry George .... I didn't realize it was a venom free zone. 

Go back to your euphoria. I'll leave you to sugar emotion. peace and happiness to all ... how's that. 

I bet I've invested more in the company than you, George.

Wanna bet?  Hmm

george
gfsomsel

Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS