Read on one device and pick up at exact same place on another

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 16
Donald E. Stidwell | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 30 2013 11:34 AM

Okay, I've tired finding an answer to this question and not having any success. I would like to be able to pick up my reading place on my mobile device and have that reading place also be the same place where I pick up when I return to my computers. So far as I've seen, it works fine between computers. When I read on my Windows machine and then go to my Mac, the Mac picks up where I stopped reading in Windows. Perfect. But what I'd really like is for my mobile devices (an Android phone and iOS device - iPod Touch 5th Gen) to also pick up where I left off reading on my computers. Is this possible or am I missing something?

For example - right now on my HTC One, I'm reading 1 Samuel 15. But when I open Logos on my iPod Touch, I'm at 1 Samuel 14. And on both of my computers, I'm at 1 Samuel 13. Since I last read on my HTC One which is further along, I'd like to have my computers and iPod also open to 1 Sam. 15. 

Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posts 29731
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2013 1:08 PM

I can't give any help with android... On the iOS apps, if you leave the resource in question open in either pane (hidden or not), it will always stay put, just as it will do in a saved layout on the desktop. The trick is to open a different book before you close the app. When you reopen the app, then open the resource from the library, it should open to the last used location across all devices. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 16
Donald E. Stidwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2013 5:05 PM

Thanks, Alabama. That seems to work on Android as well at least as going to the last read on the computer. I guess there's no way to get the computer to pick up last read from the mobile device. But at least it's halfway there! Smile

Posts 29731
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2013 5:24 PM

Donald E. Stidwell:
I guess there's no way to get the computer to pick up last read from the mobile device.

Actually, it is the same in reverse. Try this:

1. Close the desktop app.
  2. Open a book to any page you would like on mobile. 
  3. Make sure to allow the mobile app time to sync to the servers.
  4. Open the desktop app… but make sure to open to a blank layout OR the homepage.
  5. From the library, open the resource. It should open to where you left off on mobile.

This doesn't work when you open to a layout with the resource already open. This is because Logos misnamed (in my opinion) what they call "layouts." A layout is really a project snapshot. Everything is left exactly in place in a layout as you left it. This is desired and expected behavior when you think of layouts as a project snapshot. If you are working on two sermons at the same time, you would want to have Project A (i.e. Sunday Morning sermon) keep your bible, books and resources exactly where you left them when you stopped working on that project. Likewise, you would want Project B (i.e. Sunday Night sermon) to do the same. Now imagine other projects, such as:

1. Wedding 1
  2. Wedding 2
  3. Funeral
  4. Sunday 2 (next week)
  5. Sunday 3 (two weeks)
  6. Seminary class 1
  7. Seminary class 2

As you can see, there is great benefit to having project snapshots (or "layouts" as Logos calls them). You wouldn't want you Bible to keep changing places based upon your devotional reading. You might have a favorite general commentary, or bible dictionary. You would want those to stay in place too. 

Logos needs to do a much better job of communication about how these things work. They also need to work out the ability to have resources sync location between desktop and mobile more readily. If I were designing the system, I would have one default project snapshot (perhaps called "mobile") which syncs between desktop and mobile. Another option would be to have a place within the mobile app to switch which project snapshot resources should sync with.

Posts 16
Donald E. Stidwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2013 5:50 PM

Thank you so much, again. I'd never have figured this out on my own. One issue is that I have Logos open to the last layout rather than the home page or blank layout on start. Doing what you suggested works perfectly. I do have saved layouts - I mainly use them for e-books that I'm reading which I tend to read only on the computer. Bible texts and commentaries I read equally on mobile and computer and I guess I'm the rare person that actually uses every platform Logos has an app for! 

I agree that Logos needs to better explain how this works. I've been beating myself upside the head trying to figure this out for ages! Your explanation was easy, simple and works. Again, a million thanks, and God bless!

Posts 29731
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2013 5:59 PM

My pleasure. Glad to help. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS