Logos 5 reader hardware

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 30484
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 4 2013 5:14 AM

Dennis Audet:

Please help me understand why a reverse interlinear would require a WiFi connection.

That feature is performed on the Logos servers... Hence no WiFi = No RI. 

FWIW - the reverse interlinear function is performed differently on mobile than in L4/L5. There isn't a reverse interlinear panel... instead you select a word and press "look up." Logos then retrieves info from the servers and gives you info in a pop up box. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 30484
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 4 2013 5:33 AM

Dennis Audet:

You've lost me on # 4 - Ice Cream Sandwich?

# 5 - What is Google Play?

Andy did a good job giving you answers, but I thought I would tackle it from a different angle.

Ice Cream Sandwich — is the "code name" given to a version of Android. Apple's mobile operating system (iOS) is highly unified. 95% of users are running iOS 6, the newest version. Android is highly fractured, and there are 3 main versions being run. Only a third of Android users are using the most current version. NOTE: buying a "new" device does not guarantee that you will have the most current OS or that you will even be able to update to it. Conversely, buying a "new" iOS device from Apple WILL assure you that you will be running the newest OS & will be able to update for at least a couple of years. 

Here is an article on Android OS adoption rates: http://www.ibtimes.com/android-vs-ios-adoption-rates-jelly-bean-finally-most-popular-version-google-mobile-operating-system 

Google Play — is the closest thing to Apple's "App Store." Many Android devices are incapable of utilizing Google Play, due to the version of Android they are running. 

John and I both recommended to you the Nook HD+ device. I only did so because of your budget. Since Barnes and Noble is trying to liquidate their stock, it is a good value compared to other devices... However, I would much rather wait and save my money for an iPad. New devices will be released soon (possibly September), which will be a window to pick up a deal. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 4 2013 1:08 PM

Wikipedia has Android version history => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

For Hebrew vowel points to display correctly in Logos mobile app, need Android 4.2 or 4.3 flavor of Jelly Bean => http://community.logos.com/forums/t/62570.aspx  Note: all Apple iOS devices display vowel points correctly.

Nook HD+ comes with a customized Ice Cream Sandwich edition of Android 4.0 that can be upgraded (rooted) to run Jelly Bean 4.2 => http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57572408-251/root-your-nook-tablet-for-as-little-as-$9.99/

Business question: who sells Android hardware profitably ? => http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158867/apple-inc-ipad-is-obliterating-samsung-googles-android-in-tablet-profits , => http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-collected-95-percent-of-q1-2013-android-profits/  and => http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/10/12/amazon-makes-no-hardware-margins-on-the-kindle/

Samsung is profitable selling Android smart phones that look and feel a lot like Apple's => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc._v._Samsung_Electronics_Co.,_Ltd.

Observation: companies making a profit tend to stay in business.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2893
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 11:40 AM

Get a Google Nexus 7 tablet. The older one is under $200 and the brand new one that just came out costs a little over $200. Best Buy has the new one and may even still have the old one. If they don't and you really have to stay under $200 then go to someplace like Office Depot. They are still selling the old ones for $180.

GREAT!!!! tablet and it's not hampered by the ways that Barnes and Noble limits users to their user interface. You get the Android operating system on the Nexus 7 and Google updates it about once or twice a year. For under $200 there isn't a better option and I"ve played with them all.

Posts 159
Dennis Audet | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 2:14 PM

Kevin,

I see the Google Nexus 7 with 16 or 32 GB storage, 1 or 2 GB RAM, and with different processors.

How do I tell the new from the old model?

Seven inch seems like a good size to me.

How good is the 1280 x 800 display compared to the Nook HD+ 1920 x 1280 9 inch display which I can get for $150 (16GB) or 180 (32GB)?

I gather that Jelly Bean is the desirable OS?

Living in the Fruit of the Spirit! Big Smile

For the glory of God alone! Yes

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 3:34 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

... it's not hampered by the ways that Barnes and Noble limits users to their user interface.

The new Google Nexus tablets are pretty awesome. I think with the current pricing on the Nooks though, and the OP's very limited budget, the Nook shouldn't be ruled out so quickly. The 10" Nexus is the one with a really amazing display, but it is over OP's price range.

I was thinking that the 9" Nook might be the best choice for the money. But Kevins suggestion for a 7" Nexus is not a bad one. If you want a 7" device, it may be worth it to you to spend the extra money and go with the Nexus. The new model especially has a very good IPS display on it.

And it is correct the Android interface on the B&N Nooks has been customized and tailored to be more like an e-reader than a tablet. And originally B&N did not allow apps to be installed from any other sources besides the B&N store.

This has changed. The color Nooks now all have full access to the Google Play store. And there is also the ability to root and to completely replace the B&N interface with the standard Android interface ... although this may be beyond some users comfort level.

Also, take a look at the specs on the display. Even the 7" Nook has a better display than the old Nexus 7 (but not the new ones).

The old Nexus 7 was 216 ppi (1280 x 800). The new Nexus 7 is 323 ppi (1920 x 1200)

The 7" Nook HD is 1440×900i @ 243ppi, The 9" Nook HD+ is 1920×1280 @ 257ppi.

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 7:57 PM

Dennis Audet:

Dan

Please help me understand why a reverse interlinear would require a WiFi connection.

Thanks

It SHOULDN'T in my opinion but that is the way  Logos has it designed.

-Dan

Posts 30484
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 8:22 PM

Dan Francis:
It SHOULDN'T in my opinion but that is the way  Logos has it designed.

I think that will change in time… maybe when the next gen builds come out… or maybe the gen after that. Angel

Posts 2893
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 7:46 AM

Dennis Audet:

I see the Google Nexus 7 with 16 or 32 GB storage, 1 or 2 GB RAM, and with different processors.

How do I tell the new from the old model?

The newer one runs Android 4.3. Ask the salesperson for it. Where do you want to buy it? If you go to play.google.com they only sell the latest 7-inch model.

Dennis Audet:
How good is the 1280 x 800 display compared to the Nook HD+ 1920 x 1280 9 inch display which I can get for $150 (16GB) or 180 (32GB)?

If you look at one with that display resolution, then it is the old one. The new one has a much higher resolution than 1280x800. It is 1920x1200 and looks spectacular. The Nook looks good too.

The biggest reasons to avoid the Nook are...

1. You are forced into the Nook arena of things unless you like to hack your device. It sounds like that's not you. With a Nexus device, you get Google's Android operating system they way they designed it. You get full access to all of the apps and content from Google's store of apps called the Google Play Store. You can also access much of the Nook content by installing the Nook app. Add the Amazon Kindle app and you get Amazon content too.

2. Nook is a dying brand. Barnes and Noble just sold the hardware part of the business because they couldn't compete despite being one of the best book reading color touch screen tablets on the market. The reason they couldn't compete? See number one.

It's like going to the strip mall and looking at two stores. One will hold your hand and show you only what they think you should get made by their company. The other will do the same, but they will also let you see what other companies make and they don't really care if you buy the other company's stuff because either way, you're still buying it from them. The Nook is like the first store. You get Nook and Nook only. Buy form Nook store and only get the apps they let in, far fewer than the Google Play Store. You get a far greater set of options when you got with regular Android than when you go with Nook or Kindle Fire.

The reason the Nexus 7 is the best 7-inch tablet is they also get the latest operating system updates. That may not seem like much, but it does if you get hacked by someone who found a flaw in Android 4.1 and you can't upgrade to 4.2 or 4.3 because Samsung Acer or ASUS didn't send out the new version yet. Also, certain apps don't run on older versions of Android so you get left out there too. Finally, the newest 4.3 is much more fluid and better performing than 4.1 or 4.2.

Posts 159
Dennis Audet | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 12:20 PM

Ok Kevin,

Great comments. However, last paragraph - ASUS.

Doesn't ASUS make the Nexus 7?

I was in Best Buy looking at a Nexus 7 (1920 x 1200) running Jelly Bean 4.3 or 4.2? (salesman couldn't tell) and I am sure it said ASUS on it. Or am I mistaken. They wanted $229 (16GB) and $269 (32GB).

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 10:38 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

The biggest reasons to avoid the Nook are...

1. You are forced into the Nook arena of things unless you like to hack your device. It sounds like that's not you. With a Nexus device, you get Google's Android operating system they way they designed it. You get full access to all of the apps and content from Google's store of apps called the Google Play Store. You can also access much of the Nook content by installing the Nook app. Add the Amazon Kindle app and you get Amazon content too.

2. Nook is a dying brand. Barnes and Noble just sold the hardware part of the business because they couldn't compete despite being one of the best book reading color touch screen tablets on the market. The reason they couldn't compete? See number one.

1. This information is no longer accurate. I own a Nook HD+. After the most recent software update, It has the Google Play store built-in, and full access to everything on it. You can download and run the kindle app if you want to, just as you can with any other Android device. You can install Google Reader and read Google books. There are no limitations such as Kevin is implying and it is speculation, not fact the future upgrades to the Android OS will not be made available by B&N on the Nook. Even if B&N abandoned the Nook (not likely as it would be bad publicity), there are several companies selling cheap and easy upgrades already.

2. B&N has gotten out of the hardware manufacturing end of things, but will still continue to sell and support the Nook. They are still honoring warranties as far as I know. The reason they couldn't compete against Amazon is the same reason that nobody can compete against Amazon, and has nothing to do with the device or the software. When it comes to e-books and readers, Amazon got to market first and had a better selection and better prices.

OP, you are correct that Asus makes the Nexus tablets. This is not a negative point as Asus is one of the better manufacturers. You will not go wrong either way. The Nook is the better deal for the money here, and there is no question about it. The choice between 7 inch and 9 inch is a personal one. Some people consider 10 inches too big. 7 inches is easier to carry around, but then you lose display area. 7 inches is still too big to fit in your pocket.

Posts 159
Dennis Audet | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 10:34 AM

Lynden, et.al.,

Should I expect the Nook HD + (I believe running 4.0) to behave in a similar fashion as these demos?

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 9:36 PM

Dennis Audet:

Should I expect the Nook HD + (I believe running 4.0) to behave in a similar fashion as these demos?

Not sure what demos you have watched, but the Nook HD and HD+ run android apps in the exact same way as any other Android device. The Logos app runs fine on My Nook HD+.

The Nook Interface is laid out differently, but underneath it is still all Android. Once you run an app it runs the same.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 5:34 AM

Both me and my girlfriend prefer the 7" Nook HD and 8 GB (both of them) is certainly enough for all our needs.

I don't use it for anything else than Logos. Can split monitor if needed, and I could make the font smaller (it's currently somewhat large) to fit more on the monitor.

Battery life is great (bought from ebay), monitor is awesome (my girlfriend has somewhat poor eyesight (would barely be able to drive a car but she is thinking of driving "moped"-cars) and is born with one eye). The HD+ model is faster.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 2372
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 6:14 AM

I am pretty sure that the Nook HD+ runs on 4.2.  I would recommend the Nook HD+, as it is on sale and is a great bargain.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS