On Forums neglecting work

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 10 2013 11:52 AM

You know you love a product when you spend an inordinate amount of time with it and neglect the needful things. I spend too much time reading the forums and need to better organize my time. So please no more controversial post in the forums as they draw me like a moth to a flame (everybody loves a little drama).

Any thoughts? Maybe controversial ones?

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 12:33 PM

I know what you mean.  I don't think you'll get very many disagreements.  It's amazing how that works.

Stick out tongue

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 12:36 PM

Kent:

You know you love a product when you spend an inordinate amount of time with it and neglect the needful things. I spend too much time reading the forums and need to better organize my time. So please no more controversial post in the forums as they draw me like a moth to a flame (everybody loves a little drama).

Oh, come on.  Surely you can think of something controversial to write about yourself.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 12:41 PM

Gotcha!

I bet you are here checking for responses to your thread. Stick out tongue

Get back to work!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1085
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 1:01 PM

Ditto, brother. Even using the forums to distract from writing at the moment.

Here's a thought to discuss: Logos should open up their eBook spec so that others can make compatible software and/or content to interact with the Logos platform[, and if they don't, they're not acting like a Christian company / ministry / giving me what I want]. Wink

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 1:15 PM

William Gabriel:
Logos should open up their eBook spec so that others can make compatible software and/or content to interact with the Logos platform[, and if they don't, they're not acting like a Christian company / ministry / giving me what I want].

Didn't they call that PBB? Hmm

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 1:17 PM

William Gabriel:
 if they don't, they're not acting like a Christian company / ministry / giving me what I want]. Wink

I know you're joking, but I'll give you this anyway.

20 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to him with her sons, and kneeling before him, she asked a favor of him. 21 And he said to her, "What do you want?" She said to him, "Declare that these two sons of mine will sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom." 22 But Jesus answered, "You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?" They said to him, "We are able." 23 He said to them, "You will indeed drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and at my left, this is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father."

Mt 20.20-23

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1085
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 1:26 PM

Jack Caviness:

William Gabriel:
Logos should open up their eBook spec so that others can make compatible software and/or content to interact with the Logos platform[, and if they don't, they're not acting like a Christian company / ministry / giving me what I want].

Didn't they call that PBB? Hmm

That's a crippled, poor man's version of what I'm asking for. We can get some content into Logos that way, sure, but it's not as richly featured as their format. Didn't it used to be that they published their Libronix format so that other publishers could sell Logos content?

The other half of that is that I'd love to be able to programmatically access my Logos books for use outside their system. The #1 app for that would be backup. If Logos ever goes away, I can be sure that the content I purchased is still available to me. I don't have to worry about when my last "offline" Logos computer bites the dust.

And then taking it all to the next level (I didn't make this request in my first attempt to fuel controversial discussion), it would be really neat if I could write my own modules to use within Logos. If I've got an idea for Guides and Tools that I wouldn't expect Logos to ever make, it would be nifty to make my own. People might even be able to sell plugins. Logos could get into the buyout business.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 2:22 PM

William Gabriel:

Didn't it used to be that they published their Libronix format so that other publishers could sell Logos content?

Yes. And the quality of resources from third parties varied widely. Logos had to reclaim control to ensure uniform standards.

William Gabriel:
it would be really neat if I could write my own modules to use within Logos. If I've got an idea for Guides and Tools that I wouldn't expect Logos to ever make, it would be nifty to make my own.

Go right ahead. Just don't expect Logos to do it for you.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1085
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 2:39 PM

Super Tramp:

William Gabriel:

Didn't it used to be that they published their Libronix format so that other publishers could sell Logos content?

Yes. And the quality of resources from third parties varied widely. Logos had to reclaim control to ensure uniform standards.

Yeah, that's life. We still have a wide range of quality coming from Logos. Their average is very high, but across all eBook publishers you'll see a wide range of quality. I would bet that the biggest reasons Logos switched to a closed model was because it was "easier" (don't have to support a bunch of crazy forum users who can't get their books working right) and more profitable. Maintaining quality would be one noble cause, but I highly doubt it was their only or even their biggest.

Super Tramp:

William Gabriel:
it would be really neat if I could write my own modules to use within Logos. If I've got an idea for Guides and Tools that I wouldn't expect Logos to ever make, it would be nifty to make my own.

Go right ahead. Just don't expect Logos to do it for you.

Can't; everything's closed. Can't access the content because it's all locked down. Can't access Logos directly unless I want to hack the runtime. Not that motivated for the time being, but I'd probably try my hand at some modules if there was an API.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 3:22 PM

Kent:

... I spend too much time reading the forums and need to better organize my time. ...

Thankful for Logos visual filter highlighting.  In Ephesians 4:17 to 5:2, noticed 11 verbs in the imperative mood along with four infinitives that have a commanding context plus several participles.

Thankfully have different computer accounts for work and pleasure use.  When working, these forums are out of sight so can focus on getting work tasks done.  Thankful for a work software tool to track tasks and progress, which includes prioritization so can intently focus on task(s).  If one task has a step that takes many minutes, can switch to another task and periodically check long running task.

Thankful for coffee at work so biological breaks include prayer time.

For organizing time, wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Staying_Focused that was a follow-up to a forum reply => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/21371/160952.aspx#160952

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 3:24 PM

William Gabriel:
I'd probably try my hand at some modules if there was an API

There is some minimal API functionality: see wiki API

i've written a few apps which used these API calls (QuickLinks, mFavs [obsolete after PB's tools added], L4-Bibliography2).

But as i said, its minimal. i haven't seen them add any functionality to it in 3 years. You can't actually access individual resources directly. You can access Bible passages in a round-about method in which they use the current Copy Bible Verse settings. i was also hoping for access to the UI's tabs and floating windows, but that never materialized. You are right in that it would be great if they provided some mechanism for allowing users to write modules which occupied a tab/panel and we had access to UI elements. That would be fun! But we would also need much more access to areas of their code.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 3:36 PM

William Gabriel:
... but I'd probably try my hand at some modules if there was an API.

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/How_to_Use_the_COM_API and => http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_COM_API

Logos has a code blog => http://code.logos.com/

Logos is looking for Software and Operations Developers => http://www.logos.com/about/careers

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 5:22 PM

George Somsel:
Oh, come on.  Surely you can think of something controversial to write about yourself.

Yes I think I could.

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 5:23 PM

William Gabriel:

Ditto, brother. Even using the forums to distract from writing at the moment.

Here's a thought to discuss: Logos should open up their eBook spec so that others can make compatible software and/or content to interact with the Logos platform[, and if they don't, they're not acting like a Christian company / ministry / giving me what I want]. Wink

William, It sounds as if your making the Linux argument.

Posts 9627
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 5:30 PM

Kent:
You know you love a product when you spend an inordinate amount of time with it and neglect the needful things. I spend too much time reading the forums and need to better organize my time.

It makes me wonder how much productivity is lost because of the forums. But sometimes a bit of fun intermixed with learning is more valuable than pure productivity. Big Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1085
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 6:17 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

William Gabriel:
... but I'd probably try my hand at some modules if there was an API.

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/How_to_Use_the_COM_API and => http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_COM_API

Logos has a code blog => http://code.logos.com/

Logos is looking for Software and Operations Developers => http://www.logos.com/about/careers

Keep Smiling Smile

Thanks for the links.

I think it would be really fun to work for Logos, but at the moment feel called to town I live in. 75% of the residence in this town and the nearby towns don't attend church at all. There's mission work to be done, and I love the flock I currently shepherd as well as the tent-making job I have.

I would never rule out the possibility of God calling me to Bellingham (or anywhere), but for now I sense that I'm where God wants me.

May I ask, ks4j, where do you work?

Posts 1085
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 6:23 PM

Kent:

William, It sounds as if your making the Linux argument.

A little bit. That philosophy has worked its way into quite a bit of software. Every major browser has a plugin system (does IE? I haven't checked).

I appreciate Linux, benefit from it quite a bit at work, but I'm certainly not wholly devoted to it.

Posts 1085
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 6:24 PM

Bruce Dunning:

It makes me wonder how much productivity is lost because of the forums. But sometimes a bit of fun intermixed with learning is more valuable than pure productivity. Big Smile

hope that it's as much productivity as has been gained by how helpful y'all are. I'm way more effective at using Logos than I would have been on my own. Thank you all for the help, patience and community you've given.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 9:14 PM

William Gabriel:
May I ask, ks4j, where do you work?

On 18 & 19 Nov 2013, Camp Logos 2 is scheduled in the Denver area => http://www.mpseminars.com/index.php/camp-logos/camp-logos-2/camp-2-schedule/camp-logos-2-denver-co/  Planning to work an hour or two each day before attending Camp Logos 2 so can help other Logos users.

Note: Logos development office in Phoenix (~850 miles) is closer than Logos headquarters in Bellingham (~ 1,430 miles).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS