Logos 5 for MacBook Pro

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 26
Matt Cave | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 23 2013 1:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get a MacBook pro and was wondering if the standard 8gb of ram was sufficient if I was going to run multi program's at the same time like word, safari, adobe acrobat, email?

your advice would be really appreciated

thanks

matt

Posts 2807
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 1:17 PM

Matt Cave:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get a MacBook pro and was wondering if the standard 8gb of ram was sufficient if I was going to run multi program's at the same time like word, safari, adobe acrobat, email?

Should work fine, but get as much as you can afford. I have a MBPro that's a couple of years old and it runs Logos fine most of the time. I beta test and it occasionally crashes, but stable release runs fine on it.

Posts 26
Matt Cave | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 1:51 PM

Thanks Kevin, what setup would be best do you think a MacBook Pro 13" i7 processor, 8 gb ram, 256 ssd or Mac mini with i7 , 16 gb ram, and ssd 256gb

Thanks

matt

Posts 26
tab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 1:56 PM

If you plan on going BTO MacBook Pro I would advise finding out how much RAM you want, and price it out separately so you can compare it to how much Apple is going to charge you for the same amount. Be sure you find how what kind of RAM you need as well. The process to replace the RAM doesn't void warranty, is very easy, and there are a number of tutorials online instructing how to do it. 

Posts 26
Matt Cave | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 2:03 PM

sorry did two posts by accident.Tongue Tied

Posts 26
Matt Cave | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 2:04 PM
Hi, actually I was just going to go MacBook Pro retina 13" where the ram is fixed at 8gb. Anyone else have any suggestions. Thnx
Posts 26
Matt Cave | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 3:06 PM

can anyone please help with deciding the best setup, considering the type of integrated graphics available on these two options:

what would be the best setup for running Logos 5;

MacBook Pro 13" i7 processor, 8 gb ram, 256 ssd or

Mac mini with i7 processor, 16 gb ram, and ssd 256gb

Thanks

Matt

Posts 10810
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 3:18 PM

Matt Cave:
Hi, actually I was just going to go MacBook Pro retina 13" where the ram is fixed at 8gb. Anyone else have any suggestions. Thnx

Have been a Mac addict since 1984, but personally I would not purchase that machine. The fixed RAM reminds me of the original 128k macs with no upgrade path. I have an iMac with Retina display and it is indeed sharp, but I would not sacrifice performance for it. Of course, as always YMMV

Having said all that, that machine will run L5 very well. If it will meet your needs, go for it.

Matt Cave:

what would be the best setup for running Logos 5;

MacBook Pro 13" i7 processor, 8 gb ram, 256 ssd or

Mac mini with i7 processor, 16 gb ram, and ssd 256gb

What display would you want with the mini? Personally, I would feel cramped at 13", but then I fill up a 27" iMac and a 23" secondary display Big Smile. Many Logos users have 13" MBPs and seem satisfied.

Either one would handle L5, but the mini would lack portability, wouldn't it?

Posts 29027
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 3:20 PM

Matt Cave:
can anyone please help with deciding the best setup, considering the type of integrated graphics available on these two options:

I don't know the answer to your question... My thoughts however:

1. I Love laptops... but they are not the most "bang for the buck." 
  2. If you don't need the portability, I would go with the mac mini.
  3. If I had only ONE device, it would be a MacBook
  4. If I could have TWO devices, it would be a desktop and an iPad.
  5. If I could have THREE devices, it would be a desktop / iPad /iPhone.
  6. I do have FOUR devices: desktop / iPad / iPhone / MacBook

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10810
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 3:24 PM

alabama24:
If I could have THREE devices, it would be a desktop / iPad /iPhone.

A superb combination Yes

Posts 26
Matt Cave | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 3:54 PM

Hi there, thanks for all the advice. So if you were to get an iMac 27" which one would you get - how would you spec it?

I really appreciate the advice as all my internet research is driving me nuts!!

Thanks again

Matt

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 4:08 PM

Matt Cave:

Hi everyone,

thanks

matt

I'm running an October 2011 Macbook with an i5 processor, 8gb ram, 500g SSD (Ram and SSD are aftermarket Smile ).  I normally run Logos, Safari with three or four tabs open, one of two of the iWork programs, mail, and either accordance or Bible Reader.  I'm happy with the performance of Logos and I never see memory paging.  I would think that the newer MacBooks would work well (It seems that the SSD provides the biggest performance benefit).

Posts 29027
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 4:13 PM

One of the most important things to get is an SSD drive... And the bigger the better. You should be aware too, however, that updates of these lines are imminent. Deal may be had now, some may come later. Don't be afraid of purchasing a "refurbished" model from Apple.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 4:40 PM

Matt Cave:

Hi everyone,

thanks

matt

I have a early 2009 MBP with 8gb RAM. A year ago I replaced my HD with a 500gb SSD. I frequently run Logos 5 with Word, Safari / Firefox, Adobe Acrobat, Outlook, and Evernote also running. Not having any problems whatsoever. But like others have suggested, get the most memory you can (which I beleiev is still 16gb on current MBP's).

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 4:50 PM

Jack Caviness:
Have been a Mac addict since 1984, but personally I would not purchase that machine. The fixed RAM reminds me of the original 128k macs with no upgrade path. I have an iMac with Retina display and it is indeed sharp, but I would not sacrifice performance for it. Of course, as always YMMV

Fixed ram is the way of Apples future. And I am glad, Apples prices are more reasonable now and you have quality ram… I have had in the past put my  own ram in  a machine only to have it fail… Now this is rare but by having it integrated they are able to make things smaller needing no slots. That being said because it is not upgradeable I would advise everyone to purchase the most ram they can afford to ensure they get the maximum life out of their machine.

-Dan

Posts 10810
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 4:19 AM

Matt Cave:
So if you were to get an iMac 27" which one would you get - how would you spec it?

Here is what I purchased: 

Not shown in this screenshot, for storage, I went with the 3 TB Fusion Drive.I had a pair of 2TB drives in my previous Mac Pro which I enclosed and turned into external drives for this machine—one for backup and a spare. I did not partition my main drive.

I should also note that the Lord has blessed us materially, and it took 76 years to reach this level of affluence Big Smile

Posts 10810
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 4:22 AM

Dan Francis:
I have had in the past put my  own ram in  a machine only to have it fail…

Interesting, I have always installed after-market RAM and never had a failure. Always make your purchase from reputable dealers. Most often, I have used The Chip Merchant and less often MacConnection for Kenningston Memory chips.

Posts 29027
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 4:55 AM

Jack Caviness:
I went with the 3 TB Fusion Drive.

What is performance like?

Posts 10810
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 5:02 AM

alabama24:

Jack Caviness:
I went with the 3 TB Fusion Drive.

What is performance like?

My previous machine was a 2007 Mac Pro with a pair of dual core 2.66GHz Xenon processors running on a 2TB internal drive. With the new iMac with the Fusion Drive, I experience a major speed increase. Can't say if an SSD would have been dramatically better.

The iMac only has room for one HD, or I would have installed one of those just to answer your question Wink (If you believe that, I could sell you some land in eastern NC Geeked)

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 8:59 AM

Dan Francis:
Fixed ram is the way of Apples future

With Fixed Ram and SSD I hope newer MacBooks they go the way of the latest Airs...SSD connected straight to the system bus which is significantly faster. Apples' current prices are still significantly higher that aftermarket products but no longer significantly so since you also get apple support and features (TRIM support for SSDs etc).

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS