Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 12:11 PM

Randy Lane:

Yes! I'm in!

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 9533
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 12:30 PM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm in too and hope that Logos will publish more of his works in the future.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 12:35 PM

Fantastic! I'm in.

Posts 1339
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 2:11 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm in too and hope that Logos will publish more of his works in the future.

Yes Yes!

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 2:13 PM

Yes

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 3:38 PM

This is a very good sign. I hope it's a harbinger of more Stott to come.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 4:21 PM

I'm in!        Of course!                 *smile*                                                                                  Psalm 29:11

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 8:11 PM

Thank you for bringing to my attention the author and this book. I'm also in!

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 1:08 AM

Wow - already "Under Development"! That was very quick. Yes

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 1:14 AM

Paul-C:

Wow - already "Under Development"! That was very quick. Yes

May be my order was the last drop... Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 1:18 AM

I guess I have no brain then.

I pre-ordered it.

Incidentally, I was thinking that as we become more international, we have to watch the way we use language. For many people for whom English is a second language "no-brainer" makes no sense.

I hope this is an encouragement to all of us to use more standard English, and less idioms in an international context.

By the way, no offense intended. I am just reflecting a little. Thanks for your time!

Posts 10813
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 3:19 AM

Of course, I pre-ordered the book.

However, Kendall's additional remark intrigued me.

Kendall Sholtess:
I hope this is an encouragement to all of us to use more standard English

What, exactly, is "standard English"? Isn't that open to interpretation? Some might consider British English to be strange while others would consider American (US) English to be a corruption of language. Those of us from the Southeastern US think everyone else talks funny Big Smile

That being said, I understand you concern, but these idioms are sometimes educational and often entertaining.

Posts 11525
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 3:37 AM

Kendall Sholtess:

Incidentally, I was thinking that as we become more international, we have to watch the way we use language. For many people for whom English is a second language "no-brainer" makes no sense.

I hope this is an encouragement to all of us to use more standard English, and less idioms in an international context.

This international user and ESL speaker reassures you: "no brainer" is a very wide-spread idiom that has already attained near-loanword-status in other languages (you might even encounter it in a round of 'German-language' bullshit buzzword bingo...;-).

So, thanks for your empathy, but - unless prior posts indicate only a limited command of English in a thread - I don't think international users need to be protected from idioms and non-standard language. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1081
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 3:56 AM

On board also.

Hopefully our eagerness to take up this book might be an incentive for Logos to produce a "Works of John Stott" if they can get publisher agreements. Hopefully with dynamic pricing of course to allow for our purchase of single books like this!

Kendall Sholtess:

Actually you do have point. I have friends from developing countries who have spoken English from being a toddler, who did not understand that different countries have their own versions of English and were initially hurt by my comments that their usage of English was different from mine - not worse but just different.

Just remember that their are differences between USA and UK. In the USA you walk in church wearing pants. In the UK your put trousers on over your pants or you will probably get asked to leave!
In the UK the I walk on the pavement while in the USA I understand that if I walk on the pavement I am liable to get run over and told to go onto the sidewalk!

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 4:08 AM

NB.Mick:
So, thanks for your empathy, but - unless prior posts indicate only a limited command of English in a thread - I don't think international users need to be protected from idioms and non-standard language. 

Agreed. Yes

P.S. In the years of being present on Logos forums (and previous newsgroups) I have learned quite a number of interesting words (idioms).

Bohuslav

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 5:16 AM
Jack Caviness:

Of course, I pre-ordered the book.

However, Kendall's additional remark intrigued me.

Kendall Sholtess:
I hope this is an encouragement to all of us to use more standard English

What, exactly, is "standard English"? Isn't that open to interpretation? Some might consider British English to be strange while others would consider American (US) English to be a corruption of language. Those of us from the Southeastern US think everyone else talks funny Big Smile

That being said, I understand you concern, but these idioms are sometimes educational and often entertaining.

After all, the Apostle Paul strictly used "standard" non-idiomatic Greek and King David strictly wrote in "standard" non-idiomatic Hebrew, so we should follow their examples.
Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 6:48 AM

Bohuslav, thanks for chiming in.

I withdraw my concern!

Incidentally, Bohuslav, are you Bohemian? And does the "bohu" part of your name mean "God?" If it does, would it be the glory of God?

By the way, Randy. It wasn't meant as criticism. I probably had my "Chinese" glasses on when I saw this. You guys are right about their not being a standard English. I misspoke about that.

Indeed, it is a no-brainer! I am so happy to see Stott in the lineup. Thanks for pointing it out!

Posts 1803
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 6:55 AM

Jack Caviness:

I understand you concern, but these idioms are sometimes educational and often entertaining.

Yes

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 7:03 AM

Incidentally, I just used several idioms in my last post. Surprise

I can't speak without idioms. Indifferent

Thanks for laughing at me so that I can have an opportunity to laugh at myself! Big Smile

Peace Out!Cool

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS