No Brainer prepub - Stott's Cross of Christ

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 3:25 PM

Kendall Sholtess:
 Incidentally, Bohuslav, are you Bohemian? And does the "bohu" part of your name mean "God?" If it does, would it be the glory of God?

No, I am not Bohemian, I am Silesian. Czech Republic is made of Bohemia, Moravia and part of Silesia. The other part is in Poland.

Yes, my name is Slavic. Many Slavic names are with the -slav ending which means glory. There are names meaning glory to all kind of things like glory to sword, glory to the ruler etc. My name translates literarly "(to) God - glory". Not too popular name these days.

Bohuslav

Posts 7867
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 6:22 PM

Rosie Perera:

This is a very good sign. I hope it's a harbinger of more Stott to come.

Yes indeed! John Stott Collection well.......................................................at least in Spanish ;-)

DAL

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 11:38 PM

My Mother's maiden name is Ratzlaff, which comes from Ratislav. I think it originates in Czech.

Anyway, can't wait for Stott to come through!

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2013 12:29 AM

Kendall Sholtess:
 Incidentally, Bohuslav ... does the "bohu" part of your name mean "God?"

I might have thought the "bohu" part meant void/empty, as in "tohu v'bohu" (transliterated Hebrew for "formless and void") in Gen 1:2. Wink

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2013 5:12 AM

Kendall Sholtess:
My Mother's maiden name is Ratzlaff, which comes from Ratislav. I think it originates in Czech.

Actually it was the name of our famous ruler of Great Moravia in 9th century who invited the Apostles to the Slavic people to his empire. By the ministry of Cyril and Methodius Old Church Slavonic became the fourth liturgical language officially recognized by Rome, after the "Pilat's languages" from the cross, Hebrew, Greek and Latin. His name Rostislav means "let the glory multiplies"

Rosie Perera:

Kendall Sholtess:
 Incidentally, Bohuslav ... does the "bohu" part of your name mean "God?"

I might have thought the "bohu" part meant void/empty, as in "tohu v'bohu" (transliterated Hebrew for "formless and void") in Gen 1:2Wink

...as you see Rosie, even void is not empty with God ...it's no brainer John Stott would agree with that. Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 930
LogosEmployee

Rosie Perera:

I'm definitely working on more Stott.  I posted notice of this book in the Anglican forum when it was first posted.  If (when) more are posted I will put up a notice in general as well.

Director, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 10814
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2013 1:53 PM

Ben Amundgaard:
I'm definitely working on more Stott.

Party!!!

Ben Amundgaard:
 If (when) more are posted I will put up a notice in general as well.

Please do.

Posts 9534
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2013 2:23 PM

Ben Amundgaard:
I'm definitely working on more Stott.

Great news! Looking forward to it.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2013 2:58 PM
Ben Amundgaard:

Rosie Perera:

I'm definitely working on more Stott.  I posted notice of this book in the Anglican forum when it was first posted.  If (when) more are posted I will put up a notice in general as well.

This is for sure the best item to start with. The BST commentaries certainly give us a good dose of his expository material - I'm not sure if they are available individually; if not that might generate a lot of interest. Next on my list of Stott books is Between Two Worlds, followed closely by The Incomparable Christ.
Posts 2691
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2013 6:47 PM

Thanks, I always like Stott and I don't have this one.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS