Avoid international shipping by downloading???

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 18 2009 5:32 PM
  • It has been mentioned several times how unavoidably high shipping costs push great sale prices out of reach for international buyers. (Example: Day 3 of the 12 Days of Logos Sale was the nifty cups with shipping higher than the merchandise.)
  • There are still a few titles available by CD or DVD only. (Example: Commentary on the Psalms by E. W. Hengstenberg in Pre-Pub.) This creates an unusually high cost for international buyers. One user in South America said the tariffs on the physical CD shipment are extremely high in addition to the postage costs.
  • Logos 4.0 can synchronize these resources over the Internet, thereby saving international buyers the tariffs & postage of physical shipments. The only problem is under the current system, a user must buy, ship, and enter the codes that accompany the CD/DVD.

Is there any way the codes can be entered or resource unlocked by customer service without a physical shipment occurring? Once this capability exists I believe many will take advantage of this money saving option.

It is just a thought.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 19576
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 6:02 PM

Yes, yes! Please!!! +1 Yes

I live in Canada, just a little over an hour away from Logos's headquarters in Bellingham, but it's an international shipment to get mail here. It's more expensive and I have to wait longer. Plus I have to pay duties on things like software coming into Canada. I have avoided ordering any of the products that come only on CD for this reason. Here are the ones I'd particularly like to see in downloadable form:

• Stuttgart Electronic Study Bible (SESB), Version 3.0 (52 Vols.)
  • Collegeville Catholic Reference Library: Full Edition, Version 3
  • The Writings of the New Testament (Luke Timothy Johnson)
  • Luther's Works
  • The Bible Speaks Today New Testament (22 vols.)
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics (Wallace, Zondervan) 
Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 6:17 PM

Rosie Perera:

Yes, yes! Please!!! +1 Yes

I live in Canada, just a little over an hour away from Logos's headquarters in Bellingham, but it's an international shipment to get mail here. It's more expensive and I have to wait longer. Plus I have to pay duties on things like software coming into Canada. I have avoided ordering any of the products that come only on CD for this reason. Here are the ones I'd particularly like to see in downloadable form:

• Stuttgart Electronic Study Bible (SESB), Version 3.0 (52 Vols.)
  • Collegeville Catholic Reference Library: Full Edition, Version 3
  • The Writings of the New Testament (Luke Timothy Johnson)
  • Luther's Works
  • The Bible Speaks Today New Testament (22 vols.)
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics (Wallace, Zondervan) 

If you live so close to Logos, why not take a little trip to Bellingham and pick it up?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 19576
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 6:31 PM

George Somsel:

If you live so close to Logos, why not take a little trip to Bellingham and pick it up?

I'd still have to pay duty coming across the border, and there are limits on the value of goods you're allowed to take across the border, depending on how long you've been out of Canada. For less 24 hours, you can't bring in anything duty free (unless you buy it at the duty free shop). If I spend one night so that I'm gone for 24 hours, the limit is $50 duty free. After 48 hours, the limit is $400. After a stay of one week, the limit goes up to the max of $750. I might spend more than that on Logos software!  If I'm not going to descend on Bob and friends to spend the night, I'd have to either wait until I'm going down to Seattle anyway to visit friends, or stay in a hotel. It hardly makes it worth the drive (with fuel costs the way they are) to save money on the import duty. So I'll gripe a little and pay the shipping and duty charges if I really want something now. Otherwise I'll hold off and hope they'll make them downloadable one of these days. For some reason downloadable products are not subject to the same duty regulations. It's just because the Canadian tax folks haven't caught up with the e-commerce age for digital intangibles like software, e-books, and music. But I'm sure they will eventually. I'm going to try to buy up all the Logos products I want before they do!

Posts 49
Steven Leavitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 7:03 PM

I live about an hour away from Logos headquarters as well. Yesterday I wanted to buy the IVP Reference Collection that was on sale. I had that in my shopping cart ready to pay for it; however, I found out that to ship the cd to Canada, it will cost me about $21 USD. I don't understand why it cost so much. So for now, I am just going to wait until it becomes downloadable. It seems that it is just a matter of time until everything becomes downloadable because of Logos 4.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2009 7:24 PM

I was wondering if this is a workaround:

1) Purchase is made through Logos Sales (Dave Kaplan is good.)
2) Customer service opens the physical CD and enters the serial number & activation code into the customer's account
3) Logos Version 4 automatically downloads the resources.
4) Physical CD is destroyed

The only problems with this scenario are; Customer Service has extra work, and possibly this goes against a license agreement somewhere. If these are not insurmountable downloads could begin Monday! (Oh yeah, the Version 3 resources may not be made available as downloads for a while, if ever.)

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 12:56 AM

I think part of the issue is working out stuff with Logos publishing partners. I'd like to add to the list:

• Galaxie Theological Journals (particularly volume 12)
  • Tyndale Commentaries (currently in prepub)

Posts 31
Matt Rees | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 12:20 PM

+1

I turned down the IVP reference collection this week for that very reason.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 7:43 PM

Perhaps the most unfortunate thing is that there is no way it actually costs anything close to $20 to economically ship a CD from USA to Canada via USPS.   Actual postage cost is at most $3.83 plus taxes and the cost of a padded envelope.  At least that is the amount on almost all of the postage imprints used to ship software packages to me from USA via USPS  [a few are lower] (third party LLS package not just a CD in a paper CD sleeve inside a card CD envelope as those cost only $1.00 to $1.20 depending on how many paper flyers are added.)  They may take a week or two to get here but $20 is not by any means an economic way to ship a 3rd party software package from US to Canada.  Nelson seem to want the same large amount of money to do international shipments of their packages too.

Would be nice if all these 3rd party packages could be shipped as CD only without the additional packaging. BUT, unlike Logos, many of the 3rd party vendors print their license codes on the packaging box rather than on a printed label attached to the CD sleeve.

Logos CD shipping charge for their own CDs seems to be $3, which is reasonable given $1 covers the postage and the rest covers the CD itself, the protective card envelope and labor involved in handling individual orders including the invoice paperwork to get smoothly through postal customs and individual address labels.

While the longer term future may be obvious, we are not there yet.  Outside North America, in many of the countries with slow postal service and high customs tarif barriers, it is either not possible or extremely expensive to get any internet connection beyond slow and expensive dial-up (ask anyone who travels a lot); fine for text only books, but ones with extensive illustrations ..........

Posts 71
Romulo de Amorim Correa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 9:07 AM

+ 1.

I´m from Brazi and I the same problem with taxes and etc if I buy any internacional software in a CD. 

I just purchased, finally, The Essential IVP Reference Collection 3.0. But, to avoid the extras costs, I had to ask a friend who is in USA right now to bring it to me. The problem is he wil come back to Brazil only n March 2010!

If only I could download it right now to my logos 4.....

Does anybody tried to pray for the International buyers??? :)))))

Romulo Corrêa

Brasília - Brazil

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 2:20 PM

I am currently in Russia, but my office in the US received the WBC disk and I already called Logos to unlock the commentary.  Logos4 is busy downloading the resource(s) but I also have L3.  on logos' FTP page there are files WBC01.lbxlls-WBC02...

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/

Can anyone that has WBC already installed confirm that these are indeed the right files.  they are roughly 3-5MB apiece.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 2:27 PM

Yes. These are the Word Biblical Commentaries files. Great stuff, congratulation Smile

P.S. It looks we all need to open an office in the US to avoid the international postage Stick out tongue

Bohuslav

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 8:43 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Yes. These are the Word Biblical Commentaries files. Great stuff, congratulation Smile

P.S. It looks we all need to open an office in the US to avoid the international postage Stick out tongue

I don't know if licensing issues would be a roadblock but I have wondered if it is possible I could assist foreign buyers as a "forwarding agent." Maybe I could receive the physical CD and e-mail codes so registration and downloads can take place without shipping the CDs outside of the United States. I guess I can ask Logos directly....

BobP, Dan the Man, Phil... is this possible? Is it a bad idea?

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 4:49 AM

everything  downloaded fine in both L4 and L3. (I guess, I could have waited and downloaded in L4 first and then just pointed L3 to the L4 Resource folder, but I did not want to wait.  Actually, this is not right either - I started the download and went to bed.  Everything was done and working when I returned.

Too bad Logos explicitly sent me to Nelson and even gave me 2 phone numbers to contact people in order to download the resources instead to pointing to their own website or better yet, providing a script to download WBC into L3 automatically.  I really don't know why.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS