FYI NJB Sale.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 7 2013 5:08 PM

The New Jerusalem Bible: Reader's Edition (NJB)     

It's on sale $9 is not a huge savings since it is regularly priced at $10… but for anyone holding out on this important translation, Logos has given a price break on it.

-Dan

PS:I thought it was a massive sale since I am such an long term user and I remember when it was about $40 but having already started the postI thought I would share it.

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2013 5:36 PM

Dan,

Logos only has the Reader's Edition. Anything to note there? Is there a different (print) edition that would be better to have?

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2013 6:20 PM

The readers edition has minimal notes, and shortened introductions… From the preface it explains it this way. "The Reader's Edition of the New Jerusalem Bible is based on the much larger Regular Edition first published in 1985. While the biblical text remains unchanged, the notes and introductory material have been pared to make the volume more accessible and manageable." The Reader's Edition notes often contain simply a verse reference (especially in the NT when it quotes the OT). Logos like every computer version I have seen has the reader' edition and does't contain the wonderful notes of the Regular edition.

-Dan

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 6:37 AM

Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 7:15 AM

Dan ... I wonder why 'skip the notes'?

When I was copying my new NABRE to all my Libronix platforms, I noticed the file size was fairly large. I tried to think of another with more than cross-refs / short mss diffs. I couldn't think of any. Of course NAB also includes the apocrypha.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 7:33 PM

Denise:
I wonder why 'skip the notes'?

Historically JB and NJB have had text only versions so one can have the BIble text without the heft of the larger book (this was not achieved with the first edition of the New Jerusalem Readers edition which had fewer pages for sure but it was a low quality paper and actually was larger and heavier than the Regular edition. My guess is when people decided to digitize it they looked at the two editions and said it's a lot less work to do the readers edition. I would gladly pay an upgrade charge to get full notes but not sure there are enough interested, for two reasons… While it is often regarded as the best study Bible in some circles, there may not be a market for it, also the 3rd edition is being worked on with note levels that are unlike any other study Bible. I have seen a sample of Psalm 1, it has roughly 7 pages on it alone. Unfortunately they have reverted to LORD for the tetragram, rather than the transliteration Yahweh, I believe this is done to comply with new directives from the vatican to ensure Jewish sensibilities are not accidentally harmed (I find this funny since i have read some Jewish scholars who always use Yahweh to render the tetragram in english).

-Dan

Here is a brief look at the notes in the JB NJB on Heb. 1:1-4

http://www.bible-researcher.com/new-jerusalem-bible.html

and  here is an extensive introduction and review 

The New Jerusalem Bible - Protestants for the Common Good

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 8:53 PM

Wow. That's very interesting. I guess what attracted me to New Jerome and now NAB  / NJB is that they're willing to put more on the table and trust the reader. Kind of the opposite of what I would have thought.

Reading the second article above, the comparison to the Oxford Annotated is definitely apt.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 9:30 PM

Denise:
they're willing to put more on the table and trust the reader.

And that is how a strong faith is built in my mind… You are given the facts  (historical setting theological insight, etc) but are left to draw your own conclusions mostly. The reason scripture speaks to us 2000 years and more later is not because there is one answer but because there can be many valid interpretations and the Holy Spirit still speaks new and wonderful things through them. I think a lot of it is like Isa 7:14, truthfully Isaiah likely predicted the very natural birth as a sign to the king, but that in no way denies the truth that sees it as a Prophecy of the Christ in Luke and Matthew. It is important in my mind to understand how it was first understood, but that is the most solid stepping stone for me as to what God is speaking to me in a passage. While reading scripture, we all must be Samuels  responding to God's call, "Speak, for your servant is listening". At least this is what I believe.

-Dan

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS