Perseus Collection & Passage Guide

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 21
Ellis I. Washington | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 11 2013 7:25 AM

Since downloading the Perseus collection, it wreaks havoc with creating a passage list especially when adding a reference to 1 Cor 13:4-13, or 1 Jn 4:11-12. It bogs down the computer so that it takes almost 5 mins  for the reference to even populate the field after typing.

Is there a fix?

Posts 10691
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 7:28 AM

Ellis I. Washington:

Since downloading the Perseus collection, it wreaks havoc with creating a passage list especially when adding a reference to 1 Cor 13:4-13, or 1 Jn 4:11-12. It bogs down the computer so that it takes almost 5 mins  for the reference to even populate the field after typing.

Is there a fix?

has indexing finished? Normally those resources shouldn't be in the way, but indexing 1000s of resources will slow down the system very much.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 21
Ellis I. Washington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 7:31 AM

This happens when indexing is not happening. It's more related to books with numbers in front, which causes similar books from the Perseus collection to pop into the window even while attempting to enter the reference.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 8:43 AM

Ellis I. Washington:
This happens when indexing is not happening. It's more related to books with numbers in front, which causes similar books from the Perseus collection to pop into the window even while attempting to enter the reference.

This shouldn't cause the slow down that you're describing (mine populates immediately, even with Perseus). Can you let us know more about your computer and version of Logos?

Posts 21
Ellis I. Washington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 2:38 PM

I'm running Logos 5.1a SR-1 on a iMac version 10.7.5 w 2.66 GHz Intel Core Duo and 4 GB memory.

I've encountered this on my MacBook Pro as well.

My apologies to NB.Mick, I believe it WAS indexing at first the last time this occurred but I subsequently paused indexing which didn't seem to help much.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 2:54 PM

Ellis I. Washington:
My apologies to NB.Mick, I believe it WAS indexing at first the last time this occurred but I subsequently paused indexing which didn't seem to help much.

Let's wait for indexing to finish, and see what the speed is then. I don't know what impact a half-completed index would have on this issue. I'll also bow out and let the Mac experts take over. Perhaps one could confirm whether there is any slowdown for them?

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 4:07 PM

Mark Barnes:
I don't know what impact a half-completed index would have on this issue.

Depends on when exactly the pausing is done, I would think. The first part (the actual indexing) mainly uses the CPU, so pausing then ought to give a substantial performance improvement, but the second part (the merging of the new index with the existing one) uses all the RAM it can get hold of, and doesn't release it until it's done, so pausing then will still leave you with a very sluggish machine.

Indexing rule number 1: never let the indexing start unless you a) don't need the computer in the near future, or b) have plenty of free RAM, or c) have computer specs that allows you to forget about a) and b).

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 6588
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 4:09 PM

Thanks for the advice fgh.

Lynden Williams Communi

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS