Whining: After 4yrs is the Logos Homepage Hopeless?

Page 1 of 3 (60 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 59 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 11 2013 4:27 PM

It just seems like the homepage could be sooooo useful. If controlable. A daily BWS?? Daily PG? 

Or maps or even BLANK? But this?? Nothing is selected but 2 pages! What is it that they're thinking?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 4:34 PM

Denise, I think you are right it could be much more involving. However I have someone I know who uses Logos and loves opening up that Home Page to see what he has in his Library. So it is not hopeless.

One day you will discover you can open to a saved layout and avoid the Home Page blues. I won't tell you how. Wink

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 4:58 PM

Denise, I agree with you.

When it first came out I thought "what an awesome feature," but quickly realized that it was designed mostly for advertizing:

my homepage features 36 "articles" most of which are useless to me (over 63%)

• one of which - "get started with Logos" - I was using Logos for over 10 years and attended both Logos training camps with M Proctor
  • 21 "advertisements" for various resources/bundles
  • Logos has recently updated to version xxx (Release notes are informative, but I can access this information from About Logos page)

What IS useful to me (not in any particular order)

• see what resources were recently updated
  • Verse of the Day
  • Book of the Day (random book from my Library for serendipitous discovery)
  • Daily Devotional
  • pictures, photos, maps, timelines, other visuals from my resources

So it appears that 2/3 of MY homepage is programmed for Logos' sake, which drowns useful to me content. I RESENT this. Needless to say, today was the first time in over a year that I looked at Homepage (solely because of Denise's post). As it stands right now it is useless.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 5:02 PM

Mark Smith:
I have someone I know who uses Logos and loves opening up that Home Page

Mark Smith:
you can open to a saved layout and avoid the Home Page blues

Mark, the point is not that it could be avoided. The point is: how to make it USEFUL to the customer.

Question: do you personally use it, ever? Why or why not? What could change your mind?

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 5:15 PM

toughski:
Mark, the point is not that it could be avoided. The point is: how to make it USEFUL to the customer.

If you read my post you saw that I agreed with Denise, and I was speaking tongue in cheek about avoiding the Home Page.

I rarely use it as It really isn't much besides eye-candy to me. But as I said in its current configuration I know at least one person who really likes it.

For me, I don't need the 'help' the home page gives me. I come to Logos with a task in mind, not needing to be pointed in some direction. Nevertheless having some other features that pull people into using Logos (rather than just browsing the Home Page) does sound valuable.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 6:02 PM

Mark Smith:

Denise, I think you are right it could be much more involving. However I have someone I know who uses Logos and loves opening up that Home Page to see what he has in his Library. So it is not hopeless.

One day you will discover you can open to a saved layout and avoid the Home Page blues. I won't tell you how. Wink

Peace!          *smile*           Actually, I DO open to a saved layout; and likely I will keep on doing so "for the duration."

However, I have everything checked on my HomePage and go over there to visit at least once every day:  

I really appreciate my Home Page!                *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9797
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 6:49 PM

Denise, you have a point. I seldom go to the Homepage for the very reasons you mention. It would be great if there was a way to control the type of content.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 7:29 PM

I open the Home Page once in a blue moon--usually following a massive download/indexing to try to figure out "what happened?!?"

I happened to do that today after a huge download yesterday, and just happened to see the "free" prepub offer for the ESV Audio

...so even though I am not a fan of all the advertising--especially because it NEVER is in the context of me as an individual customer whose purchase history Logos should know all about--it just so happened to benefit me today.

Posts 1511
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 8:09 PM

Why my homepage became   sooo slow. I rarely open because I have no patience to wait. Logos works fast, no problems but homepage is dead slow For both win, and Mac 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 10887
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 4:52 AM

Denise

Basically, I agree with you. The Home Page has the potential to be very useful, but in its present format, it is just irritating. 

You already know all that. What I wanted to point out was that the "Getting Started" block disappears after a few days. Think it took three for me during the beta cycle—We complained then also Geeked

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 5:01 AM

(me being funny)

Silly Denise, everyone knows that the HomePage is just a silly sales tool for Logos.  I especially dislike that the devotional materials there are so small even on a giant screen - gasp.

Enjoyed your spot on post.  Keep em coming. 

Posts 2255
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 5:24 AM

I agree with Denise.  I only use the homepage to find out what resources just downloaded.  It could be useful, but in its present form, it has no use for me.

Some ideas:

1.  Homepage could show the books I have recently opened and have been reading (This could be useful on a tablet device as well as a pc)

2.  Homepage could show books from my bookmarks in a newspaper format (this could be useful on tablet devices as well as a pc)

3.  Homepage could be a place where I am able to write notes

4.  Homepage could be a place where I am able to add link to resources that I wish to have (for whatever reason) on the homepage.

Just some ideas.

For now, the homepage is useful to me only to know what resources downloaded. I often will take those new resources and add them to my favorites folders.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 6:34 AM

toughski:

my homepage features 36 "articles" most of which are useless to me (over 63%)

• one of which - "get started with Logos" - I was using Logos for over 10 years and attended both Logos training camps with M Proctor
  • 21 "advertisements" for various resources/bundles
  • Logos has recently updated to version xxx (Release notes are informative, but I can access this information from About Logos page)

The "Get started" section will disappear shortly. The ads and the updates can be turned off.

toughski:
So it appears that 2/3 of MY homepage is programmed for Logos' sake, which drowns useful to me content. I RESENT this.

If you haven't unchecked things you don't want to see, it seems a bit unfair to blame Logos for showing them to you... Do you expect the software to read your mind?

Complaining about things that can't be removed is another matter, but that doesn't seem to be your issue.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 7:09 AM

Not to be difficult but I haven't had an option turned on for quite some time. Logos is managing the Home page. 

Personally I don't think it's just Marketing ("This IS our software and we're just loaning it to customers. Angry customers buy books! Really angry ones are OUR kind of customers!").

I think the code is bad and has been for 4 years.

But Mark's ideas are great ideas. I especially like the book mark snippets one.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 7:29 AM

Denise:
Not to be difficult but I haven't had an option turned on for quite some time.

I guess you didn't read the

fgh:
Complaining about things that can't be removed is another matter

part...

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 7:46 AM

Mark:

1.  Homepage could show the books I have recently opened and have been reading (This could be useful on a tablet device as well as a pc)

[...]

4.  Homepage could be a place where I am able to add link to resources that I wish to have (for whatever reason) on the homepage.

I love these two ideas. Something like the functionality of Chrome's start tab or the Chrome extension I use, "Incredible StartPage".

I also like the idea of tracking a list of refs every time the user does a search or passage/sermon/topic guide and post quotes from those refs. Make it more relevant to me. Ditto with Word studies. Put a word study, word of the day on the page.

But unless it is sped up considerably it is far too cumbersome to check on any regular basis. I used to use it all the time, but I've gotten tired of waiting on it all the time. I guess I'm one of the few that liked having the CP and PrePubs on there and I've purchased quite a bit from clicking through the home page, but I can't use it regularly like it is. There is no valid reason for it to be that slow. I would rather have a simple but fast rss feed on the front page than a fancy but slow page. (8-10s roughly every time it loads or resizes on a modern, fairly fast system, with a fast connection)

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:01 AM

I think what's been overlooked a bit in Denise's post is the fact that she only has two items checked to show up on her homepage (as do I) and we're still getting other stuff that we didn't ask for! I only have "Updated Resources" and "Release Notes" checked, but I still get a random Bible passage and the "Book of the Day" at the very least; sometimes far more for no apparent reason.

If users are allowed to customize the homepage, then let user actually customize it the way they want to. Otherwise, just make it clear that it's a starting point for all the latest Logos news and products. Clarity would be helpful here, I think.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:23 AM

fgh:
Complaining about things that can't be removed is another matter, but that doesn't seem to be your issue.

many moons ago when L4 came out (which was a paradigm shift in the platform) Bob compared Logos software to a luxury car (I can try and find the exact quote later). Can you imagine Rolls-Royce or even a Porsche designing a car where 66% of it "invites" the driver to buy more parts? Open the glove compartment and you see an AD for tires, start the car and the onboard computer gives you an audible sales-pitch for leather seats THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY INSTALLED. 

Actually, I have unchecked all these advertising options before. Not sure if a program update re-enabled them.

fgh:
Do you expect the software to read your mind?

Actually, I DO! This is called context awareness.If they are going to pitch me new resources, offer me what I want, based on my purchasing history at least.

• Logos should know that I have been using the software for 10+ years and not show the "Getting started" video
  • Logos should know that I have a particular resource already installed and not show nag me with the sales pitch for it
  • What's up with the identical stuff? I know these are from 2 different blogs, but how many times do you need to say something before it becomes nagging?
  • Logos should know what books I have and recommend me "you should find these books useful" or even "these resources have an opposite viewpoint" to encourage thinking
  • or "you have x out of y titles by this author - here are the missing ones ..."
  • Logos should know that I opted out of all advertisement emails, why not respect this setting and apply "no AD content" to the Homepage BY DEFAULT?

Regardless of whether a user can opt out of 66% Logos-centric Homepage content or not, this is bad by DESIGN. Logos, you should design features for customers, then they will reward you with repeat business.

I would really like to know Logos' statistics of how many users actually open Homepage for any reason other than marketing.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:57 AM

toughski ... did you enter the recent sweepstakes with the small print of accepting ads? I liked the mini ipad but said no to the ads

Posts 2682
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 11:02 AM

toughski:

What's up with the identical stuff? I know these are from 2 different blogs, but how many times do you need to say something before it becomes nagging?

I have heard marketing people say that a person needs to hear a message 7 times before he/she is willing to act. http://thewordchef.com/2011/12/your-brand-and-the-marketing-rule-of-7/

As a pastor I can't tell you how many times we have printed in the bulletin and newsletter, verbally announced from the platform, decorated a visually stunning bulletin board just to hear people say "I didn't know about that".

I agree that the homepage should allow users to filter out unwanted noise. but I have gained some great resources from some of these blogposts.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 1 of 3 (60 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS