NICOT/NICNT Sale on that A software

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 24 2013 10:20 AM

Not promoting another company's deals but the A company is offering the NIC set for 7 days for $779.99 (40% off)!!! That is an amazing deal. Maybe they are losing their shirts on this one to get more users. Don't know.

Wondering if Logos can negotiate a deal with the publisher to offer this very important set for something close? Might get some new Logos users by linking a package deal with this set.

Anyway, for those with the A software who don't have NIC, I doubt you could ever get a better deal.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 10:26 AM

OliveTree has the same deal.

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 10:57 AM

My guess is that Logos simply does not need to offer such a "Loss Leader". 

Posts 42
JOSHUA DAVIS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:01 AM

John Kight:

OliveTree has the same deal.

I tried to get Logos to either match the deal or get close to it a few months ago when they also had the NICOT/NICNT on sale, but they wouldn't budge on their price so I bought it from a competitor instead.  The tagging is not near as good Logos' software, but that is only a minor inconvenience when there was almost $600 difference in price.

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:30 AM

JOSHUA DAVIS:

I tried to get Logos to either match the deal or get close to it a few months ago when they also had the NICOT/NICNT on sale, but they wouldn't budge on their price so I bought it from a competitor instead.  The tagging is not near as good Logos' software, but that is only a minor inconvenience when there was almost $600 difference in price.

I have not used Accordance or Olive Tree, so I am relying on your description of the quality of the resources in those two eco-systems. 

Given the level of effort that Logos puts into tagging its resources, I find it completely justified that they charge more than competitors for the NICOT/NICNT.  These commentaries are not typically "sit down and read" books that can get by with minimal tagging.  If you are satisfied with the product that is great that you were able to get it for such a deal.   I think I'd be more frustrated that I spent the funds on something that simply did not work as well.  I do have certain commentaries in other programs that I haven't purchased in Logos because I so infrequently use them (i.e. Collegeville commentaries, Life Application Commentaries, NIVAC), but the NICOT/NICNT are first-line and I would be very sad if I didn't have them in Logos, regardless of cost.

Posts 10888
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 5:01 AM

Erik:
  I think I'd be more frustrated that I spent the funds on something that simply did not work as well. 

Yes

Posts 2938
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 7:32 AM

Erik:

These commentaries are not typically "sit down and read" books that can get by with minimal tagging. 

Really?  I would say that commentaries require far less tagging than most resources.  I just open a commentary to the passage I am studying, and that comes late in the study process for me, after the inductive process.

Tagging is of much more value in language tools, lexicons, theology, and historical resources, such as the Church Fathers.  For the life of me, I don't see it so important for a commentary.  But that is just me.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 7:40 AM

Michael Childs:

Erik:

These commentaries are not typically "sit down and read" books that can get by with minimal tagging. 

Really?  I would say that commentaries require far less tagging than most resources.  I just open a commentary to the passage I am studying, and that comes late in the study process for me, after the inductive process.

Commentaries are often full of cross references that need linking and non-standard verse references that need manual markup.  Plus they need Bible indexing to be able to work with passage guide.  Good commentaries probably need as much tagging as a dictionary.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 8:34 AM

If you think Logos' tagging is good, you haven't tried Accordance. They're way better in this area. Logos' advantage is the sheer amount of resources they provide that Accordance doesn't. That's the only reason I switched.

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 5:42 AM

Adam Rao:
If you think Logos' tagging is good, you haven't tried Accordance. They're way better in this area.

Some specifics would be helpful. What Accordance features are enabled by its better tagging that Logos does not have?

Donnie

Posts 10888
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 12:04 PM

Adam Rao:
If you think Logos' tagging is good, you haven't tried Accordance.

But I have tried Accordance, since its very beginning, and I have faithfully purchased every upgrade since then. Just tried it again to see what you see that I missed. Tagging is limited and not very useful. For instance, in Logos if I hover over a Scripture reference, I get a popup displaying the verse(s). In Accordance, if I hover over a reference, I get a magnifying glass that I must click to open a window to see the reference. In Logos hovering over a reference to a commentary gives me a popup showing a portion of the commentary. If I click the link, the commentary opens to the referenced spot. In Accordance, I get the trusty glass which if clicked takes me to a list of references.

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 12:28 PM

In Accordance you have to have the instant detail pane open to have hover over a defence automatically view.

-Dan

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 12:49 PM

Here are my questions:

• What gets tagged in Accordance that doesn't get tagged in Logos?
  • Generally speaking there are resources in Logos that are better tagged than others; some are really good, others are really bad (meaning some references are not tagged; or the resource contains many errors; see this thread as an example)! Is Accordance's tagging better in this sense? In other words, would the Quality Assurance process seem to be better in producing Accordance resources vs Logos?
  • As Donnie said, are there any features in Accordance that the tagging provides that are not in Logos?

Posts 10888
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 5:40 PM

Dan Francis:
In Accordance you have to have the instant detail pane open to have hover over a defence automatically view.

Thanks for the reminder, Dan. Had forgotten that annoying little window Big Smile. Still, is it good for anything besides Scripture references? Just tried hover over a reference to 1 Macc 2:64 in BDAG and received nothing (Yes, I do have a tagged LXX). All links to other works only give me a definition of the resource.

Having already said too much, I will refrain from further comment on the relative merits of these two applications. The comment about superior tagging in Accordance provoked me to babble. Each application has its own strengths and weaknesses. I personally prefer Logos.

Posts 2893
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 6:53 AM

Erik:

JOSHUA DAVIS:

I have not used Accordance or Olive Tree, so I am relying on your description of the quality of the resources in those two eco-systems. 

Given the level of effort that Logos puts into tagging its resources, I find it completely justified that they charge more than competitors for the NICOT/NICNT.  These commentaries are not typically "sit down and read" books that can get by with minimal tagging.  If you are satisfied with the product that is great that you were able to get it for such a deal.   I think I'd be more frustrated that I spent the funds on something that simply did not work as well.  I do have certain commentaries in other programs that I haven't purchased in Logos because I so infrequently use them (i.e. Collegeville commentaries, Life Application Commentaries, NIVAC), but the NICOT/NICNT are first-line and I would be very sad if I didn't have them in Logos, regardless of cost.

I've not compared this resource to the competition, but I've compared many others and Logos tagging is not that much better to take a $600 hit. Get it on the others if you like and use the others. Great resource. I bought it for much more at Logos and wish I could have gotten it on one of the other two for $600 less when I bought it.

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 6:58 AM

Sleiman:

• Generally speaking there are resources in Logos that are better tagged than others; some are really good, others are really bad (meaning some references are not tagged; or the resource contains many errors; see this thread as an example)! Is Accordance's tagging better in this sense? In other words, would the Quality Assurance process seem to be better in producing Accordance resources vs Logos? 

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. In Logos, sometimes things are tagged well; sometimes they're tagged really poorly. Accordance's tagging is always solid. The difference between the two? Logos offers way more in terms of resources – Accordance doesn't have AYB, for example, which is a huge problem, in my opinion.

My biggest beef with Logos' tagging – how about the fact that, as part of the GBS bundle, you get an untagged UBS4 even though Logos offers a tagged UBS4! That would never happen with Accordance. Logos vs. Accordance is a quantity vs. quality battle, as far as I'm concerned. I love Accordance the software. I can't stand the lack of certain resources. (Not that Logos always wins there, either. Not having Abingdon products, OTL/NTL, etc. is really, really annoying. But, I also feel pretty confident that if these resources are ever released digitally for both platforms, it'll be Logos who gets them before, or even rather than, Accordance.)

Posts 2938
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 7:23 AM

Todd Phillips:

Michael Childs:

Erik:

Commentaries are often full of cross references that need linking and non-standard verse references that need manual markup.  Plus they need Bible indexing to be able to work with passage guide.  Good commentaries probably need as much tagging as a dictionary.

I guess it would depend upon how one studies.  Of course, I would assume Bible indexing.  But I cannot agree that good commentaries, which I use, require as much tagging as a dictionary.  Nor do I agree that commentaries get that much extra tagging in Logos.  But it is that difference of opinion that makes a horse race.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 8:34 AM

I would tend to agree that extra tagging is not worth an extra $600. Perhaps it escapes notice but it seems to be that tagging is self-remunerating because it is useless unless you have also purchased the resources to which it points. I know that seeing Dead Sea Scrolls references has made me want to purchase the resource. My point is that "the extra tagging work" is not all cost; it also profits the company. It profits also at a broader level: better tagging means greater functionality which results in more customer satisfaction and loyalty and so more business. So the line that there is more tagging, therefore much higher pricing is justified is perhaps questionable.

I don't know: personally, I would like to get the set for free (and many more) and somehow that Logos staff would still make a decent living. I'm still waiting for this miracle solution.

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 8:49 AM

When I looked into Accordance I assumed it was a new Logos offering under a different name.

It sure seemed that way. I was wrong.  I just can't be bothered to have yet another resource, though my guess is there is far less advertising in Accordance.  As this is a Logos forum...I continue to wish the homepage in Logos had more lengthy devotional content rather than sales items.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 9:29 AM

JoshInRI:
I continue to wish the homepage in Logos had more lengthy devotional content rather than sales items

Perhaps this question is superfluous but are you aware that you can customize the contents of your home page (increase the devotional presence, reduce/remove the promotional stuff)?

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS