Indexing - What Will This do to the Life of SSD's?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 258
Gerald P. Swetsky | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 25 2013 8:56 PM

It seems that my computers seems to spend their life indexing whenever Logos is open.  Well, that's okay for my laptop.  Its drive system is fully mechanical and it's mostly used on Wednesdays and Sundays.

However, my sooper dooper "gamer's envy" desktop is hybrid right now and will hopefully soon be 100% SSD.  Right now my 60 gb SSD C: drive is just Windows 7 OS stuff with the remainder on a 500 gb mechanical drive.

Since SSD's have limited write cycles, does anyone have any idea how long say a 500 gb SSD is good for if it's running Logos daily?  I keep hoping that SSD technology improves to the point where the write cycle problem is overcome.

In the meantime, I have been assuming that the index file isn't being written to my SSD - Logos is installed on the mechanical drive.

Gerry

Posts 64
Larry Quinlan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 1:09 AM

I've been using Logos 5 on a 256 GB SSD for about 6 months now. Logos is one of the reasons that I wanted the SSD. It's not exactly a fast application on the Mac... cough, cough... 

A couple of points:

1. Indexing. Is it Logos or your computer (e.g. Spotlight on the Mac) that is indexing all of the time. Logos shouldn't index ALL of the time (mine doesn't) and if it does then you should probably check into the reason why. (A subject for another post.) If it's your system software (maybe for its search capabilities) indexing data in the background then I don't know why it would do so any more frequently with Logos running than not.

2. Useful lifetime of an SSD. With technology like "over-provisioning", "wear leveling", "garbage collection", and "data buffering and caching", SSDs are set up to achieve a lengthy useful lifetime. I'd bet that even with all of the indexing going on you'd get better than 5 years out of one. Just my guess...

Check out the following links for more information: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2038511/the-care-and-feeding-of-ssds-what-makes-these-speedy-drives-hum.html http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/solid-state-drive-faq-us.pdf Best regards, Larry
Posts 27986
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 1:32 AM

You can write many gigabytes daily to the drive without affecting its life expectancy, which is now greater than that of HDD's. So you could perform a complete re-index every day if you wished, and a drive of 500 GB will last longer than a 250 GB drive, both having the same amount of data. See http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html.

Get a drive (e.g. Intel) with a Toolbox that lists SMART details as you can monitor its health and life expectancy. Also, get one with a 5 yr guarantee as the quality of NAND will be much better.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 258
Gerald P. Swetsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 3:21 AM

Thanks, Dave, that's the type of info I was looking for.

Gerry

Posts 258
Gerald P. Swetsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 1:30 PM

Larry Quinlan:

1. Indexing. Is it Logos or your computer (e.g. Spotlight on the Mac) that is indexing all of the time. Logos shouldn't index ALL of the time (mine doesn't) and if it does then you should probably check into the reason why. (A subject for another post.) If it's your system software (maybe for its search capabilities) indexing data in the background then I don't know why it would do so any more frequently with Logos running than not.

Forgive me for being taken so literally.  After Logos reports it has finished downloading several hundred megabytes of resources, which it seems to do every other day, it reports it must now index all the data, a process which it admits, may take several hours.  If your computer is performing otherwise, I would suggest one of us has a problem. :)

Gerry

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS