Day 12 of Christmas Special

Page 1 of 4 (66 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 20 2009 3:42 AM

Exposition of Prayer?  For me this is a big dud.  It's just as well.  No money.

Posts 48
GS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 4:14 AM

Ditto ... I was selfishly looking for something that might push me over the edge .... this isn't it!

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 4:29 AM

I don't mean to be critical but I was also hoping for something a bit better for the final day...I even let day 11 pass by thinking day 12 would be something worth the wait!

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 5:00 AM

Sometimes I just don't understand Logos. Thousands of people credit card in hand ready to spend big bucks and pluuuuuuuuuuh Hmm

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 5:18 AM

Yeah. Prayer. Who wants to spend money on that? :-)

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 5:34 AM

Wow, I thought it was just me. All of the specials that were of interest to me (i.e. WBC, Anchor, New Testament use of the Old Testament) were already in my Logos or physical library. Words cannot express how quickly my excitement regarding the Christmas Specials dissipated.  As each day passed, I just kept thinking, "There will be something for me tomorrow, " but now that the 12 days have passed, I realize that isn't the case. I would have even been thrilled with the opportunity to get some type of "special" discount on the Proctor Logos 4 Manuals so I can learn how to use the software at a deeper level than what is provided in the free videos. 

Please forgive my very negative tone. We're snowed in today in Delaware and the Governor declared a State of Emergency. So, there are no church services today. The Sunday before Christmas is always so special for me and our church service is a major part of my excitement. Being from Michigan, I'm use to the snow so I've never experienced the cancellation of a service. So, I was looking for a Christmas Special from Logos that could make me smile on this cold, snowy morning. I'm just bummed. 

Have a blessed Christmas!

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 3780
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 5:50 AM

Philip Spitzer:
Yeah. Prayer. Who wants to spend money on that? :-)

Yeah, it was something like that, that got the reformation started.  

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 5:54 AM

Floyd Johnson:
Yeah, it was something like that, that got the reformation started.  

Maybe if the book was from someone who would tell me how to get a good financial return from prayer I would consider it an investment, but the author seems to be more focused on what the Bible has to say about prayer. I don't know. Doesn't seem very profitable to me.

I'm sure the prayer/reformation parallel was just a fluke.

Posts 3780
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 6:05 AM

Philip Spitzer:

Yeah - but a good one.  At least I liked it.  Smile

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1691
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 6:44 AM

Okay, was somebody praying for this resource?    Stick out tongue

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 6:48 AM

Hhmm...  I was kind of excited when I saw this, but now I wonder.  Are the negative comments because you own it and don't like it, or are you "just not interested?" 

I too was a little disappointed in the Christmas specials, but not because of Logos' choices.  I think they did a great job on what they selected and they were great deals.  I just own the Bible Study Library, but I have made a lot of additional purchases and I own six of the twelve that were offered.  That's not their fault, so I'm not griping.  I really wanted the Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, but couldn't cough up the cash right now.  That really bums me. 

Anyway, thanks Logos for some great deals.  You did good!

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 6:57 AM

On one hand I was disappointed too, but on the other hand aren't we blessed to have so many resources that these deals did not appeal to us.

I have over 3000 resources, when I look back over time I am reminded at what a great blessing that really is, and how many believers in the past were happy to just have a copy of the scriptures.

I just hope that all of our blessings do not get in the way, of our relationship with Christ!  And yet, I admit, I am egarly looking forward to more resources to further round out the library that God has blessed me with!

Your brother in Christ,

Jim

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:08 AM

Well everybody,

Angel There are 17 more hours on this special. I think we all ought to go PRAY about it.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:16 AM

Tom Geswein:

Hhmm...  I was kind of excited when I saw this, but now I wonder.  Are the negative comments because you own it and don't like it, or are you "just not interested?" 

Please ignore the naysayers, this is an excellent work on prayer. There is a great summary from 2 years ago on the blog:

The Lifework of Dr. Jim Rosscup

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:24 AM

Paul Golder:
Please ignore the naysayers, this is an excellent work on prayer. There is a great summary from 2 years ago on the bolg:

I was thinking about purchasing this one. If there is one area that is killing the church today and holding back revival its our weak prayer life. I love the idea of coming to a prayer in the Bible and knowing I have an exhaustive commentary on that prayer. Do you own this title? Could you give a word on its strengths and weaknesses?

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:29 AM

Philip Spitzer:
I was thinking about purchasing this one. If there is one area that is killing the church today and holding back revival its our weak prayer life. I love the idea of coming to a prayer in the Bible and knowing I have an exhaustive commentary on that prayer. Do you own this title? Could you give a word on its strengths and weaknesses?

Sadly I don't own it, and won't be able to afford it this time around, but I do know of Dr. Rosscup, and if ever there was a man to write with authority on Biblical prayer, he is the one.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 88
Nancy A. Almodovar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:30 AM

for shame...someone with logos who doesn't understand what started the reformation.  Most recent "revivals" were begun with prayer...most die out within the first generation of it occuring or within a few short years.  What began the Reformation was not prayer, per se (I'm sure there were those crying out to God to reform the Church) it was, rather proper exegesis of the Scriptures...something Logos avails us to with its program.  It was the recovering of the doctrines of the Church, the Doctrines of Grace:

Justification by faith alone (not maintained by our obedience or works but rather by God who elected some to salvation and leaves the rest in their sins)

Scripture Alone (not where we don't use other resources just that they are only held as far as they hold to the Scriptures)

Christ Alone (no need for saints, popes, or in today's realm televangelists of any sort, water from the holy land, special oils, candles, etc.)

By Grace Alone (which leaves the deciding of who will be saved to God for salvation and eternal life are gifts of God, not something we can attain by our decisions, prayers {see the council of orange for praying a prayer of salvation being anathema} or walking down some aisle but rather by the Sovereign Decision of God in election)

Soli Deo Gloria:  All to the Glory of God Alone.  no glory goes to any human for being smarter, or more open to the Spirit's wooing.  Rather Salvation is first and last the Choice of our Sovereign God and He gets the Glory.

THAT my dear friend, and God's Providential Direction, started the Reformation.

nancy

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:39 AM

Nancy A. Almodovar:
THAT my dear friend, and God's Providential Direction, started the Reformation.

Of course you are absolutely right that commitment to scripture was central to the reformation. However I believe a simple prayer of humility was central to a proper commitment to scripture.

Posts 339
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 8:04 AM

Floyd Johnson:

Philip Spitzer:

Yeah - but a good one.  At least I liked it.

I agree Floyd, but Phil, what resources do you think Luther had to buy, or the rest used? I'm sure that none of the reformers would have dished out that much, when they had the Bible handy. Sometimes I think we forget that what we really need is a Bible, and a quiet place to seek the Lord.

I would love to get this resource, but in the past month I've paid more to Logos then my weekly giving (shame on me). One of the first resources in my Logos was Bounds on Prayer (and it was free), and after an upgrade a few days ago I now have all 3 books of his on prayer. So, I would love to have this resource, and I think it is a great one, but unfortunately it is too far out of reach for myself. Sometimes I have to question all of the activity I see with the resources to be had on this site... none of it is actually bad, but it has the possibility to cause some to extend themselves beyond what God has given them.

This is no reflection on Logos, they are only the ones who provide the resources, and to be sure in the last 12 days there have been enough for anyone's budget, but possibly they could have provided something similar as on the fist day, so that all could have enjoyed the closing day.

Very thankful for the 3 resources I was albe to purchase, Merry Christmas Logos! It's not your fault that your customers can't afford everything, or look down on your offerings when only some can afford them, but I'm sure you will forgive us for not being perfect yet.

Just my thoughts...

Posts 44
Steven Leavitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 8:14 AM

I for one am quite sadden to the negative responses against this item. I would love to learn about prayer. I have listened to sermons from many churches and if there is one thing that is lacking in the church today, dare I say it, it is prayer and faith.

I don't mean to start any arguments or anything like that. I am a student and am trying hard to stay obedient to God's word. One thing that I am learning recently is being content with what has been given to us. We should be humbled that we have even received God's word in our own language.

I am curious. What kind of response would have been given if on day 12 Logos decided to sell (for free even) an English Bible? Unfortunately, many churches already have thrown the bible out of their lives, and it saddens me that the trend is growing.

Page 1 of 4 (66 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS