Day 12 of Christmas Special

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3841
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 4:00 PM

Philip Spitzer:
I've been working on it all day, but every time I go to test it out lighting strikes my house and takes out my computer. I'm on my 3rd one now!

They say that if you are well grounded, lightening causes less damage - are you? Wink

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 4:01 PM

Rosie Perera:

Iit's not "referency" enough for me to use as a "look stuff up in Logos with it" kind of text.

It's very referency. It will pop up in your commentary report on Passage Guide. So it's referency by verse but not by topic

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 4:18 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Philip Spitzer:
I've been working on it all day, but every time I go to test it out lighting strikes my house and takes out my computer. I'm on my 3rd one now!

They say that if you are well grounded, lightening causes less damage - are you? Wink

Blessings,

Floyd

Apparently God has a way of circumventing the norm. And now my hair won't go back to normal. Does anybody have a hair brush?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 4:49 PM

Philip Spitzer:

Floyd Johnson:

Philip Spitzer:

Blessings,

Floyd

Apparently God has a way of circumventing the norm. And now my hair won't go back to normal. Does anybody have a hair brush?

I've got a friend who uses some goop to straighten her hair.  I could have her email you some, but don't forget to keep those prayer wheels turning.  If need be put a fan on them.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 33283
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 5:08 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Yeah, it was something like that, that got the reformation started.

I haven't a clue what you are talking about. The only relationship I've heard of that even vaguely relates is Martin Luther constantly being behind in his Breviary. Please enlighten me.  Thanks.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3841
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 5:16 PM

MJ. Smith:

Floyd Johnson:
Yeah, it was something like that, that got the reformation started.

I haven't a clue what you are talking about. The only relationship I've heard of that even vaguely relates is Martin Luther constantly being behind in his Breviary. Please enlighten me.  Thanks.

My reference was to the selling of indulgences - certainly, as was pointed out, not the only cause of the reformation, but one of the issues which precipitated it.  I saw a parallel between the selling of indulgences and Philip's comment on spending money on prayer.  I was trying to be funny - did not work.  But that is not the first time sense of humor differed from everyone else's. Wink

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 5:44 PM

Floyd Johnson:
 I was trying to be funny - did not work.  But that is not the first time sense of humor differed from everyone else's. Wink

Uh oh,   Now you've gone and done it Floyd!

Much as I agree with Luther I would have partied with Erasmus.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3841
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:02 PM

Though I have posted several times in this thread, I finally found today's Christmas Special - Looks interesting, but having updated to LOGOS Gold, it is out of my price range.  Thank you Logos for all the great offers this holiday.

Blessings,

Floyd                                                        

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 42
JM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:07 PM

Stephen Thorp:
I purchased "The Kingdom of Priests" which looks like a great over view of OT history (which even refers to Bimson's early date for the Exodus which most scholars now favour) so all in all I'M HAPPY & CONTENT with what was  offered. Thanks Logos for a great Christmas sale. 

How is "The Kingdom of Priests"?  How is this book different from other history of Israel books?  Would you recommend this resource to an SS teacher as a good background resource for teaching the OT?  Or is it more for the scholar?

Posts 19280
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:15 PM

Philip Spitzer:

Rosie Perera:
Prayer is something I find very much at odds with the technological side of my life and it's kind of my life's work to figure out how to pray well and spend more time in prayer

If you'd like I could generate a macro to take over some of your more routine praying. :-)

Smile Hee hee. A couple of years ago, I wrote an article about the tension between technology and the spiritual life. It's called Loving Technology, Loving God. (Probably relevant to a lot of us here.) In it I recommended that people take a technology sabbath periodically. One smart alec replied "Should I schedule that in my Palm Pilot?"

Posts 33283
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:15 PM

Floyd Johnson:
I saw a parallel between the selling of indulgences and Philip's comment on spending money on prayer.

Ah, yes, it is funny when I see the context.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 12:34 PM

JonelyMoy:
How is "The Kingdom of Priests"?  How is this book different from other history of Israel books?  Would you recommend this resource to an SS teacher as a good background resource for teaching the OT?  Or is it more for the scholar?

Hi, I really like this book - in truth I think it comes between your two suggestions! It would certainly give your SS teacher a good grasp of each period, but it's also an excellent launching pad for any scholar who wants to have an immediate reminder of the context and basic issues before going on perhaps to deeper study. I recommend it!

Ps, But then I've always found  'Noddy' books to be a good way into tackling the heavier works - and 'Kingdom of Priests' isn't really a Noddy book!

Posts 42
JM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 10:10 PM

Stephen Thorp:

Hi, I really like this book - in truth I think it comes between your two suggestions! It would certainly give your SS teacher a good grasp of each period, but it's also an excellent launching pad for any scholar who wants to have an immediate reminder of the context and basic issues before going on perhaps to deeper study. I recommend it!

Ps, But then I've always found  'Noddy' books to be a good way into tackling the heavier works - and 'Kingdom of Priests' isn't really a Noddy book!

And I thought I was doing a great job resisting this resource until you had open your mouth!  Super Angry  But thanks.  Big Smile  I really appreciate your comments because I was dreading that I might have missed out on a good deal on a great resource.

BTW, what do you mean by "Noddy"?  As in dunce or fool? 

Posts 33283
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 11:20 PM

Nancy A. Almodovar:
someone with logos who doesn't understand what started the reformation.

We have already had a Logos employee "admit" to not being a Bible reader. Given the location and focus of Logos, I suspect they have employees who are not Christian. I certainly hope that is true. Logos, as a Christian company, should bend over backwards to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - giving to Caesar that which is Caesar's. Yes, there are positions within the company that require a very serious understanding of Scripture, of Church history, of denominational publishers etc.

And, I must also mention, that your understanding of what started the Reformation is not what is normally mentioned in courses/books on Western Civiilization, History of Ideas, or standard Church History/History of Theology etc. I think that reading Pelikan who was suggested as a good addition to the Logos library or even Harnack would help round out your summary.

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 1:23 AM

JonelyMoy:
BTW, what do you mean by "Noddy"?  As in dunce or fool? 

Ha! Ha! Sort of! Noddy was the famous creation of children's author Enid Blyton who lived at the turn of the century. and remembered fondly here in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enid_Blyton

It's a children's story featuring two marvellous characters called Noddy & Big Ears.

But the point is, not to despise simple books as a way into heavier ones. Happy Christmas!

Posts 42
JM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 4:55 AM

Stephen Thorp:
Ha! Ha! Sort of! Noddy was the famous creation of children's author Enid Blyton who lived at the turn of the century. and remembered fondly here in the UK.

Thanks.  I was going to ask if it was a  UK thing but was afraid of appearing Noddy.  (You actually made me look it up...Good thing I have my Logos 4 Concise Oxford Dictionary.  Nyuk.  Stick out tongue)

Posts 19280
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 5:09 AM

Just wanted to make sure everyone who has contributed to this thread knows that Logos has extended the 12 Days of Logos special through the end of the year. So if you didn't get that great deal on the day you missed, all the coupons are now valid until Dec 31. But you have to type them in manually on the purchase page. See http://www.12daysoflogos.com/ for more info.

Blessed Christmas, everyone!

Posts 3841
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 6:32 AM

Rosie Perera:
So if you didn't get that great deal on the day you missed, ...

... and can now afford them.  I purchased two or three of them, but, as noted earlier, had to forgo some because of the expense.  Don't spend more than you can afford - which is the real temptation for me (and I am sure, others).

But thanks for the reminder Rosie.

Blessings to all,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 10:58 AM

Floyd Johnson:
 Don't spend more than you can afford

Isn't that a heretical thought? Thinking like that can collapse the international economy. Big Smile Seriously, that is good advice that is very difficult to follow when all the sales prices start flying around.

Posts 128
Terry Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 2:50 PM

Back in the old days logos had real sales at Christmas time. More than once they allowed customers to purchase downloads at 50% off! A decent deal for sure. But in the last 2-3 years they've given next to nothing (in my opinion). This years 12 offerings are a farce!! Perhaps they need to hire a marketing person or two to explain what a sale really is... offering customers something they want (not what you want to sell) at a decent price.

Terry Cook

sDg

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS