Collections

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 99
Greg B | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:39 AM

When creating a new collection with a long list, is there any way to:

1.) have the cursor return to the spot where the last item was dragged from? (Instead of returning to the top of the list each time)

2.) Is there a way to drag multiple items? (e.g. 3or 4 books that are next to each other in the list)

Greg

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:46 AM

I don't have an answer, but I share your concern on both counts.  It gets very time consuming when creating a large collection...

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 19270
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:54 AM

GregoryBednarchik:

1.) have the cursor return to the spot where the last item was dragged from? (Instead of returning to the top of the list each time)

2.) Is there a way to drag multiple items? (e.g. 3or 4 books that are next to each other in the list)

Greg

The best way to create a collection is not to drag multiple items into it, but make up a rule that will catch all the items you want to have in your collection. This is much more flexible and is dynamic, in that if you add any more books to your library in the future that should be in that collection, you won't have to remember to drag them in. They will match the criteria of the rule, so they'll show up in the collection automatically.

Read more about collections here, and watch these excellent videos (created by an advanced Logos user, Pastor Mark Barnes) on prioritizing resources and making collections here and here and here and here.

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:55 AM

The answer is 'no' on both counts. But remember that collections are normally supposed to be dynamic, so you shouldn't need to drop individual resources for most of your collections. There's a video tutorial linked in my signature that explains more if you're interested.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 8:33 AM

Don't forget that you can use tagging to create an "ala carte" collection of books, such as favorites.  Then just use the mytag:<tagname> in your collection criteria.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 11:21 AM

Rosie Perera:

GregoryBednarchik:

Greg

The best way to create a collection is not to drag multiple items into it, but make up a rule that will catch all the items you want to have in your collection. This is much more flexible and is dynamic, in that if you add any more books to your library in the future that should be in that collection, you won't have to remember to drag them in. They will match the criteria of the rule, so they'll show up in the collection automatically.

Read more about collections here, and watch these excellent videos (created by an advanced Logos user, Pastor Mark Barnes) on prioritizing resources and making collections here and here and here and here.

Remember that your rule may catch more than you really want.  If that happens you can drag them over to the "- these resources" side.  This happened when I created a collection of my Anchor Bible Commentaries and had to remove the Anchor Bible Dictionary.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 11:57 AM

George Somsel:

Remember that your rule may catch more than you really want.  If that happens you can drag them over to the "- these resources" side.  This happened when I created a collection of my Anchor Bible Commentaries and had to remove the Anchor Bible Dictionary.

It's best to try an avoid this if you can because it's a sign that your string isn't accurate, and new resources could end up getting in there that shouldn't. You should be able to create Anchor Bible commentaries by just using series:"WhateverTheSeriesIs". (I don't have Anchor to test, sorry.)

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 12:44 PM

The syntax (if that's what they are called?) strings to define a collection are very confusing to me.  On top of that, it is next to impossible (without a realllly long syntax string) to get ALL the book I want and to NOT include ANY that I do not want.

I have ended up having to manually add EVERY book one at a time.  It takes "forever" especially because it ALWAYS defaults back to the top of the "list".

I agree it should just stay where I last added a book from and not default.  This has caused me to spend a GREAT deal of time on creating my collections. 

I know that the purpose of creating a "dynamic" collection is so that any new resources I might get will automatically be put in there, but as I mentioned before, it is just to complicated for me to use effectively and even if I get the "syntax string(s)" corrrect it still does NOT guarantee anything.

If (when) I get new resources, I'll know what they are and I'll just have to manually do it myself, for now. Sad

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 1:20 PM

Jeremiah Daniel Morris:

The syntax (if that's what they are called?) strings to define a collection are very confusing to me.  On top of that, it is next to impossible (without a realllly long syntax string) to get ALL the book I want and to NOT include ANY that I do not want.

I have ended up having to manually add EVERY book one at a time.  It takes "forever" especially because it ALWAYS defaults back to the top of the "list".

I agree it should just stay where I last added a book from and not default.  This has caused me to spend a GREAT deal of time on creating my collections. 

I know that the purpose of creating a "dynamic" collection is so that any new resources I might get will automatically be put in there, but as I mentioned before, it is just to complicated for me to use effectively and even if I get the "syntax string(s)" corrrect it still does NOT guarantee anything.

If (when) I get new resources, I'll know what they are and I'll just have to manually do it myself, for now. Sad

Forgive me, but I think you're being a bit defeatist here. If I didn't know better I'd say you were stuck in the Logos 3 way of doing things and weren't willing to invest a little time in learning the better way of Logos 4 Stick out tongue There are a few search strings which are tricky (Johannine and Petrine Epistles, for example), but most others are relatively straightforward. Have you watched my video (see my sig) or looked at the examples at the bottom of the wiki? Or tell us what you're trying to do, and we'll come up with something.

Having said all that, if you're adding/subtracting resources, drag them from the library. It's list doesn't reset back to the top every time you do it.

Posts 26944
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 2:08 PM

Jeremiah Daniel Morris:

We have inherited some inconsistent/inaccurate resource metadata from L3 days and before, and this affects our attempts to define truly dynamic collections - the greater part of a definition tends to be negative (what not to include). The best way currently is set "My Tags" as this provides a concise "search" string like

mytag:lexicon lang:Greek

Logos is setting up a system to correct metadata and ensure it is easily maintained.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 134
Esther Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 7:33 PM

Rosie Perera:

GregoryBednarchik:

Greg

Blah!  I watch the videos, and it makes me want more books, and more books and more books!

SurpriseStick out tongueBig Smile

Great videos!

Too bad I don't have and can't afford and couldn't justify having all those lovely resources.  Mere Sunday School teachers should not lust over books only pastors and professors would really use...

True confession over.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Esther

Posts 197
Valerie Pobog | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 8:10 PM

LOL! Awesome. You expressed my thoughts as well. I find that I am trying to add books and work the program and not actually reading the books! What's that about?! Wrong mindset. Confused

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 8:15 PM

EstherJones:
Too bad I don't have and can't afford and couldn't justify having all those lovely resources.  Mere Sunday School teachers should not lust over books only pastors and professors would really use...

ON WHAT Esther, do you base that statement? 

I checked and it says nothing about non-pastors and professors lusting over books for them.  As a matter of fact, lusting after more and more and more books is one of my favorite pet sins!

And as I recall, when setting up rules for collections, can't you say author: MacArthur, title: concordia com, and it will pull all MacArthurs and Concordia commentaries but no dictionaries or whatever else?

Posts 19270
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 8:23 PM

EstherJones:

Would that more Sunday School teachers could have access to such resources and teach in more depth!

Dan Sheppard:

And as I recall, when setting up rules for collections, can't you say author: MacArthur, title: concordia com, and it will pull all MacArthurs and Concordia commentaries but no dictionaries or whatever else?

Don't include a space after the colon; otherwise that rule will not do what you expect. It will ignore the "author:" and "title:" tags and merely find all books that mention MacArthur and concordia and com.  So the correct syntax would be author:MacArthur, title:concordia com

Posts 22
Peter Jonas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 8:36 PM

Mark

Your video is excellent and really helps the viewer understand the rationale of dynamic collections.  But Some of the long strings of rules and commands fly by a little fast. Is it possible for you to post somewhere some of your basic rule sequences for bible dictionaries, lexicons, etc. ?

Thanks

Peter Jonas

Posts 19270
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 8:48 PM

PeterJonas:

Is it possible for you to post somewhere some of your basic rule sequences for bible dictionaries, lexicons, etc. ?

Peter, there's a whole bunch of example collection rules on the Logos Wiki at the bottom of the Collections page.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 6:38 AM

Mark Barnes:

Forgive me, but I think you're being a bit defeatist here. If I didn't know better I'd say you were stuck in the Logos 3 way of doing things and weren't willing to invest a little time in learning the better way of Logos 4 Stick out tongue There are a few search strings which are tricky (Johannine and Petrine Epistles, for example), but most others are relatively straightforward. Have you watched my video (see my sig) or looked at the examples at the bottom of the wiki? Or tell us what you're trying to do, and we'll come up with something.

Having said all that, if you're adding/subtracting resources, drag them from the library. It's list doesn't reset back to the top every time you do it.

Of course I have seen ALL (unless you have added one recently to your "preparing a sermon" series) of your WONDERFUL videos!

I should probably go back and look at your video concerning collections again.  I had seen it and tried, but was not having satisfactory results (due to the long complicated syntax strings).  At this point, I have pretty much completed most of my important collections, so I do not want to go back and do it all over. 

Thank you for your candid response (seriously appreciated, something I need to be reminded of often), I naturally lean towards being a pessimist (working on it, my personal Grace allotment is over for the year Indifferent )

As suggested by another, I should prob. look into using the "mytag:" feature also.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 6:47 AM

Jeremiah Daniel Morris:
my personal Grace allotment is over for the year

Cheer up and hang in there -- only 11 more days to go !  Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2852
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 7:19 AM

Is there a way one can simply download all the collection Mark Barns has created for himself or other users as in V3. Really with a large Library, this creating collection is becoming a pain.

Mark if you are reading this, PLEASE can you also post your various command entries you use to create collections? Like the "type:journal" to create journal entries. Thanks

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 7:34 AM

Another suggestion about collections (Logos is thinking...here we go again - they're never happy).  Whenever I click on Tools-->Collections, it always opens up to the first Collection in my list aphabetically.  It would be nice if it would remember the last collection you had selected, so you don't have to reselect it if you are accessing that collection a lot.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS