Look Up Search

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 29
Steve A. Boyd | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 6 2013 8:13 PM

When I have a bible open (any bible) and double click on the word to do a search of that word. Instead of opening a bible dictionary, it always opens a bible commentary. 

However, if I try the same thing with any of the books in my library...it opens my bible dictionary with no problem...

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong...

Posts 24951
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 9:39 PM

I can't figure it out either. A commentary is indexed by bible references, not words and bibles are usually prioritized higher than commentaries!

What commentary is opened? What word / reference is chosen? What is your version of Logos and operating system? Provide a screenshot.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 29
Steve A. Boyd | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2013 6:21 AM

I am running Mac OS10 10.8.5 and I have Logos 5 / Gold.

If I open any bible and do a "Look Up Search", my Pulpit Commentary opens. However, if I just open any book from my library and do the same search, it opens the dictionary...as it should. I don't know if my screenshot is coming through or not...

file://localhost/Users/saboyd/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202013-10-07%20at%209.15.26%20AM.png

Posts 29
Steve A. Boyd | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2013 6:26 AM

If I open any bible and do a "Look Up Search", my Pulpit Commentary opens. However, if I just open any book from my library and do the same search, it opens the dictionary...as it should. I don't know if my screenshot is coming through or not...

file://localhost/Users/saboyd/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202013-10-07%20at%209.15.26%20AM.pngscreen shot

Posts 24951
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2013 3:41 PM

Steve A. Boyd:

What version of Logos?

Steve A. Boyd:
If I open any bible and do a "Look Up Search", my Pulpit Commentary opens.

Opens to what? I can't see your screenshot, so try it according to the wiki http://wiki.logos.com/Screenshot.

I can't reproduce the issue in Windows using "Look up" in the right-click context menu (and I have that commentary). Have you linked anything to/with the Pulpit? How is it Prioritized? Have you modified its Series?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 10554
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2013 4:18 PM

Dave Hooton:
I can't reproduce the issue in Windows using "Look up" in the right-click context menu (and I have that commentary).

Also cannot verify this in L5 Mac. Right-click lookup opened my highest priority English dictionary.

Posts 29
Steve A. Boyd | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2013 4:32 PM

Okay...here's the strange part (to me at least).

I have my ESV Bible opened to Acts 18:1

When I double click on most words, the bible dictionary opens just fine.

However, while I click on the word "Corinth" (verse 1) it opens Pulpit Commentary (to the index on that word)

When I click on the word "Sabbath" (verse 4) it also opens up Pulpit Commentary (to the index on that word)

Any advice?

Posts 10554
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2013 4:38 PM

Logos 5.2 Beta 1 on Mac OS 10.8.5

Interesting: Mine opened the HCSB Concordance of the Apologetics Study Bible on both double-click and right-click lookup.

Double-Clicking various words in those verses produced varied—often surprising—results. Sometimes it opened the Apologetics SB, other times it was ISBE, or the Concise Oxford English Dictionary. For Priscilla it opened the Dictionary of the Later New Testament.

Appears that Logos has some serious tagging/linkage problems here.

This is not isolated to the ESV, as I received the same incorrect results from the NASB

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2013 7:52 PM

Steve A. Boyd:

Any advice?

Advanced prioritization can specify Bible type:

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Prioritizing#Advanced_Prioritization

Personally found some Bibles and Commentary Series have English headword indexing so now have two advanced prioritization for those resources so English headwords for Dictionary (e.g. NCV) and Topical Finder (e.g. NLT) appear after other resources with English headword indexing.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2013 8:30 PM

I was getting very strange results too! Double-clicking on many words opened the Dictionary/Concordance in the Bible Study Helps of the God's Word translation. (Incidentally, there is some coding issue there because it is all blank but Logos does 'see' any dates that are listed and connects them to the Timeline.)

Turns out that it is indeed a prioritizing issue. In my priority list, that was apparently the first English word Dictionary. I moved up a preferred dictionary ahead of that translation and now things are fine.

Posts 8020
LogosEmployee

Steve A. Boyd:

When I click on the word "Sabbath" (verse 4) it also opens up Pulpit Commentary (to the index on that word)

Any advice?

I can reproduce a similar problem.

This is a side-effect of The Pulpit Commentary resources having both Bible and English headword indexes. When a resource is prioritized, by default it takes priority for all indexes that it contains. As KS4J showed earlier, you can use advanced prioritization to limit it to Bible (which will fix this problem). You can also move your Bible dictionaries higher up in the priority list.

I agree that it's certainly not obvious that prioritizing a Bible commentary series (e.g., Pulpit Commentary, UBS Handbooks, possibly some others) will also take over English headwords, so I've filed a case to review the design in this area.

Posts 24951
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2013 9:11 PM

I can verify that God's Word & Pulpit Commentary (the Index) will give results for a word look up, but only if you Prioritize them higher than dictionaries. To avoid this your Prioritize list should look like:-

• bibles  --> exclude God's Word or use advanced prioritization to restrict it to Bible index.
  • bible dictionaries --> English words e.g. type:encyclopedia
  • lexicons --> original language words
  • commentaries

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 10554
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 8 2013 3:29 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):
When a resource is prioritized, by default it takes priority for all indexes that it contains. As KS4J showed earlier, you can use advanced prioritization to limit it to Bible (which will fix this problem). You can also move your Bible dictionaries higher up in the priority list.

Changing prioritization fixed most of the problems. Do not understand some of the initial returns, however, as HCSB has never been in my priority list. Also, while ISBE has an entry for Priscilla, it is indexed under Prisca.

Posts 29
Steve A. Boyd | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 8 2013 12:59 PM

Maybe I should have said this with my original post...

The way I discovered this problem is that I was following Morris Proctor on my recently purchased Camp Logos 5 DVD set. When we got to this point on the DVD, he was getting the bible dictionaries to come up and I was getting the Pulpit Commentary Index on the same scripture. 

As far as the prioritization of resources; I set them up exactly like Morris Proctor suggested... This leads me to think there may be a bug...don't know.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS