A Collection and its order within the Collection

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 11 2013 7:31 AM

Need some help with this.

I have a collection of Greek NT Bibles and I want them to be in a specific order so that when using the Text Comparison tool the base with be the one I specified as "first" in order.

Would I do this with a "Tag" setting or is there some other method?

Thanks for the help.

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2013 7:38 AM

Collections will always be in alphabetical order. You have two choices:

1. If you'll always want one particular Bible as your base text, consider renaming it so it appears first in the list.
  2. Or, specify the Bible and the collection in text comparison, like this: NIV, My Collection. It won't matter if the NIV is also in the collection. It will only show up once.
Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2013 7:45 AM

Mark Barnes:

Collections will always be in alphabetical order. You have two choices:

1. If you'll always want one particular Bible as your base text, consider renaming it so it appears first in the list.
  2. Or, specify the Bible and the collection in text comparison, like this: NIV, My Collection. It won't matter if the NIV is also in the collection. It will only show up once.

Ah! Thank You! YesCool That works nicely.

EDIT:

What if I wanted them in order of text-type family?

Posts 25595
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2013 12:54 PM

Anthony H:

Make its text type the first part of the new name e.g. CT-NA27 Interlinear, TR-Scrivener 1894 etc.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2013 3:05 PM

Dave Hooton:

Anthony H:

Make its text type the first part of the new name e.g. CT-NA27 Interlinear, TR-Scrivener 1894 etc.

Yes

It seems to default to its own order other than specifying the first (base) regardless of what I do.

Posts 25595
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 4:32 AM

Anthony H:
It seems to default to its own order other than specifying the first (base) regardless of what I do.

Sorry, but it is almost text-type (CT first then the TR).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 5:03 AM

Anthony H:

For a collection, Text Comparison shows resources in Title order.

Personally added year prefix to many Bible resource long and short titles.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9219
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 6:40 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

I really like that idea and am updating mine to show this too. Thanks.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 9:53 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I really like that idea and am updating mine to show this too. Thanks.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9219
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 11:26 AM

Thanks, that makes adding the dates even easier! What a great idea.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 4:05 PM

Screen shots of all Bible resources with year prefixes (noticed Top Bible prioritization affected some):

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9219
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 7:31 PM

Screen shots of all Bible resources with year prefixes

I just completed doing the same thing for all my Bibles. I think I did it right but simply changing the name and adding the date as a prefix. Is that right?

In addition I tried to set up my text comparison as you did but I can't seem to get it to work. I typed it exactly as your picture mentioned. I typed 2012:NA28, Greek Text Comparison

I have several questions about this.

1. Every time I type 2012:NA28 Logos automatically changes it to NA28 in the text comparison dialogue box. Do I need to do something to the short  form to make this work? If so how?
  2. Secondly once I have NA28 in the dialogue box I then put a comma and choose the collection Greek Text Comparison to add but when I do this it automatically just selects Greek Text Comparison. How do I get both to show in the box like you have done?

Posts 9219
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 7:35 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Screen shots of all Bible resources with year prefixes

I just completed doing the same thing for all my Bibles. I think I did it right but simply changing the name and adding the date as a prefix. Is that right?

In addition I tried to set up my text comparison as you did but I can't seem to get it to work. I typed it exactly as your picture mentioned. I typed 2012:NA28, Greek Text Comparison

I have several questions about this.

1. Every time I type 2012:NA28 Logos automatically changes it to NA28 in the text comparison dialogue box. Do I need to do something to the short  form to make this work? If so how?
  2. Secondly once I have NA28 in the dialogue box I then put a comma and choose the collection Greek Text Comparison to add but when I do this it automatically just selects Greek Text Comparison. How do I get both to show in the box like you have done?

Okay, I feel a bit silly. I figured out that I had to actually type the name of the collection rather than choosing it when I use a comma.

But I'm still having difficulty getting the prefix to show up in the text comparison chart.

Posts 9219
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 7:46 PM

Bruce Dunning:
But I'm still having difficulty getting the prefix to show up in the text comparison chart.

I just realized that I think I have to also edit the short form to get it to show up. Thanks for listening to me try to figure this out. Perhaps it will help someone else as well.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 18 2013 1:11 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Bruce Dunning:

I just realized that I think I have to also edit the short form to get it to show up. Thanks for listening to me try to figure this out. Perhaps it will help someone else as well.

yep.  Yes

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 19 2013 5:30 AM

Apologies Embarrassed for belated illustration of year prefixing.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9219
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 20 2013 5:40 PM

Apologies Embarrassed for belated illustration of year prefixing.

Keep Smiling Smile

Thanks. If you don't mind I have a few more questions:

1. Did you do this for all your Bibles? If not, what criteria did you use?
  2. What did you do with short titles that already had a date? e.g. NIV84 Did you do this 1984:NIV84?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 20 2013 7:05 PM

Bruce Dunning:

• Did you do this for all your Bibles? If not, what criteria did you use?

No. Tended to not add year prefix to Bible resources for a single book.  Also have not prefixed Dead Sea Scrolls and Manuscripts.

Added s#### prefix to Spanish Bibles.  For other languages, have not (yet) added year prefix.

Bruce Dunning:

• What did you do with short titles that already had a date? e.g. NIV84 Did you do this 1984:NIV84?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9219
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 20 2013 7:14 PM

Thanks for sharing more. I really am appreciating the work that I have done by following your lead to include dates as suffixes. It is especially great when I run text comparison's of collections.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 6:50 AM

Yes

Bruce Dunning:

Thanks for sharing more. I really am appreciating the work that I have done by following your lead to include dates as suffixes. It is especially great when I run text comparison's of collections.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS