Apologetics help desperately needed

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 29606
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 12 2013 11:26 PM

My future daughter-in-law is beginning a new pastorate nearby. I have discovered that she is a BibleWorks user. Please offer suggestions for me to (a) understand her position and (b) convert her to Logos.

And while you're about it, please cheer me up by placing your bid on https://www.logos.com/product/16808/english-bible-collection Why if we already had this is production, I might not need help with Logos apologetics. I would be able to point to several excellent reasons for Logos:

• Geneva Bible
  • Wycliffe Bible
  • Tyndale Bible
  • Matthew Bible
  • Coverdale Bible
  • Jewish School and Family Bible
  • The Twenty-Four Books of the Holy Scriptures
  • The Holy Bible, Containing the Old and New Testaments, in the Common Version. With Amendments of the Language
  • The Holy Bible Containing the Old and New Testaments. An Improved Edition (Based in Part on the Bible Union Version)
  • The New Dispensation: The New Testament Translated from the Greek
  • The New Testament in Modern Speech
  • The Bishops' Bible
  • Mace New Testament
  • William Whiston’s Primitive New Testament
  • Hardwood’s New Testament
  • The New Testament in an Improved Version
  • Alexander Campbell New Testament
  • J. G. Palfrey New Testament
  • Sharpe Bible
  • The New Testament of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ Revised from the Authorized Version with the Aid of Other Translations and Made Conformable to the Greek Text of J. J. Griesbach
  • The New Testament: Translated from the Original Greek
  • The New Testament of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (Common English Version)
  • Newcome's New Testament
  • Julia Smith Bible
  • Helen Spurrell Old Testament
  • The Holy Bible Containing the Old and New Testaments and the Apocrypha Translated out of the Original Tongues (English Revised Version)
  • H. T. Anderson New Testament

If your favorite isn't on this list, bid high so this package is out of the way and we can reasonably push for the next package of translations.

So maybe the subject line is misleading ... but it is true and I'll do all sorts of stunts to get this package moving.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2013 12:59 AM

MJ. Smith:

My future daughter-in-law is beginning a new pastorate nearby. I have discovered that she is a BibleWorks user. Please offer suggestions for me to (a) understand her position

Sit by her desktop or borrow her laptop and go for a spin.

MJ. Smith:

and (b) convert her to Logos.

Sorry, you'll get no help from me there!

Posts 29606
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2013 1:14 AM

Sad

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9291
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2013 3:55 AM

Lee:

MJ. Smith:

My future daughter-in-law is beginning a new pastorate nearby. I have discovered that she is a BibleWorks user. Please offer suggestions for me to (a) understand her position

Sit by her desktop or borrow her laptop and go for a spin.

Or...have her come to your laptop and see the amazing features of Logos.

MJ. Smith:
And while you're about it, please cheer me up by placing your bid on https://www.logos.com/product/16808/english-bible-collection Why if we already had this is production, I might not need help with Logos apologetics. I would be able to point to several excellent reasons for Logos:

MJ, you are on a mission to push this tonight. Let's see if all your creative methods pay off with more bids. Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2363
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2013 4:44 AM

MJ,

I am assuming your future daughter-in-law is proficient in the original languages to get full use out of BW. If so, Logos can supplement BW in many ways with Logos Library and integration into the software; provide access to commentaries and the vast library of books; provide this access on mobile devises or online; free software and many free resources... 

Convert, maybe not, but she can definitely built a solid, supporting digital library along side BW.

Posts 6644
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2013 6:54 AM

I have my bid in at eighty dollars. That is $2.96 per book. Where are you going to find a Bible at that cost with Logos tagging.

Thiry dollar bidders, move your bid up please.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 28559
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2013 7:32 AM

MJ. Smith:
Apologetics help desperately needed

Sometimes you just have to face it straight on and say "I'm Sorry." Wink

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 60
Dave M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2013 8:26 AM

Sorry for your bibliophilic depression. We will prayerfully consider the English Bible Collection. Seems like a good deal at $30.

Posts 7498
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2013 9:58 AM

MJ. Smith:

...but it is true and I'll do all sorts of stunts to get this package moving.

Would you roll over and play dead if I pretend I'm shooting you with a fake gun? Stick out tongue Devil Angel

Alright, I'll help, but only at $30 bucks since my favorite translation (Moffatt's translation) is not included in this collection.

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2013 5:01 PM

MJ. Smith:
My future daughter-in-law is beginning a new pastorate nearby. I have discovered that she is a BibleWorks user. Please offer suggestions for me to (a) understand her position and (b) convert her to Logos.

Thread => Pastors question to me.... has an insightful discussion.

By the way, placed a bid for $ 60 on 31 Mar 2013 => https://www.logos.com/product/16808/english-bible-collection that amounts to $ 2.22 per Bible resource.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3707
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2013 6:11 PM

MJ. Smith:

MJ:

Two suggestions:

1. Phil Gons compared a couple of older versions of BibleWorks and Logos here:

http://philgons.com/2007/03/logos-vs-bibleworks-a-brief-comparison/

It may be of help.

2. Buy your future daughter-in-law a package so she can try it out.  She then can use the package that best meets her needs.  That way you don't have to convince her, the software can do it for you.  Christmas is coming. 

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2013 9:34 PM

MJ. Smith:

So maybe the subject line is misleading ... but it is true and I'll do all sorts of stunts to get this package moving.

Once a person learns Bibleworks, it would be very difficult to get them to switch. Something about typing a '.' on the command line is habit forming Big Smile

You should leave her alone on that one. You might want to inform her though that the Bible does not allow female pastors Wink

Posts 29606
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 12:19 AM

John:
You might want to inform her though that the Bible does not allow female pastors Wink

And open up the question of the 5 solas? That could take up all the family dinners for a decade!

Posts 6644
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 3:23 AM

Let her watch you use Logos and answer her questions.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 1688
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 5:52 AM

MJ. Smith:

John:
You might want to inform her though that the Bible does not allow female pastors Wink

And open up the question of the 5 solas? That could take up all the family dinners for a decade!

I can think of much worse dinner discussion....  Actually, it should be easy to clarify that both sides agree with most of those solas.  But there are slightly different definitions of Grace which, while means that both sides agree to "grace alone" do cause some disagreement.  And then there is Faith Alone....

Back to converting your daughter-in-law to Logos.  The best way I know of is to demo it with a decent library.  While the exegetical guides will likely not impress BW users that much, all that a passage guide can pull up, and the cited by tool can impress.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 3707
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 7:01 AM

MJ. Smith:

One other thought that I have not seen addressed here.  Does it really matter that she is not using LOGOS?  She is getting into the word - that is far more important.  There are far too many people out there whose only Bible reading is the Sunday morning church service.  Let's celebrate her love of and desire to be in God's word.  May we all follow her example.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 7:11 AM

MJ. Smith:

Methinks the lady was speaking tongue firmly in cheek. Smile

Posts 103
Roger G Black | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 2:52 PM

Amen to that. It is wonderful to see any youth (whatever age) picking up and reading paper copies or even more shocking is to see them on some type of 

electronic device and actually find out it is God's Word....instead of some game.  Truthfully it is nice for either...

BlueBird 

Rog {BlueBird} Cool

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS