Link Set on Resource Panel Menu

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 107
Irving Salzman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 14 2013 8:07 AM

One of the Link Set options on the Resource Panel Menu is "Follow."  I would be very grateful if someone could explain what this option does.  I could not find anything in the online Help that explains it.  Thanks much.

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 8:19 AM

Irving Salzman:
One of the Link Set options on the Resource Panel Menu is "Follow."  I would be very grateful if someone could explain what this option does.  I could not find anything in the online Help that explains it.  Thanks much.

Follow means that it will follow whatever the current active resource is. It's different from the other linkset options in two ways:

1. It will follow any resource, not just the resource with a matching linkset.
  2. It will only 'follow', it won't 'lead' - other linksets work in both directions, but this one only works in one direction.
Posts 107
Irving Salzman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 8:27 AM

Thanks, Mark.  One thing that I notice is that certain resources don't seem to offer the "Follow" option.  Would this observation be correct?  And why would that be?

Posts 1513
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 8:35 AM

This has been implemented?! 

I don't see it in any of my Bibles, but I'd expect that to be one of the primary things to be "followed."

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 8:39 AM

Irving Salzman:
Thanks, Mark.  One thing that I notice is that certain resources don't seem to offer the "Follow" option.  Would this observation be correct?  And why would that be?

That's correct. As far as I know, only Text Comparison, Cited By, Power Lookup and Explorer can be set to follow. "Follow" is an expensive operation (which is a polite way of saying it can slow down Logos a lot), so I guess the programmers thought it better to limit it to those tools which would most benefit from it.

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 8:40 AM

Ben:
I don't see it in any of my Bibles, but I'd expect that to be one of the primary things to be "followed."

It's not in Bibles. But its absence doesn't mean that Bibles can't be followed (as you put it). They just can't follow.

Posts 107
Irving Salzman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 8:54 AM

Thanks again, Mark.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS