Help With Source Material for my Essay

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 299
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 16 2013 8:48 AM

I am writing an essay for level 1 of my B.A. I work at a distance and I do not have access to hard copies or a library. My only supply of books comes from Logos or Kindle.

I am answering the question

"Some scholars claim that Paul and James have radically, even diametrically, opposing views on salvation. Explain what the problem is and assess the effectiveness of the attempts to resolve it".

Problem is that I can't seem to locate much source material beyond a few dictionaries. I only need around five sources. 

Suggestions Appreciated Smile

Posts 6730
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 8:52 AM

Have you tried New Testament Gateway. http://www.ntgateway.com/?utm_source=logos.com&utm_medium=footer&utm_content=ntgtextlink&utm_campaign=footertraffic

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 299
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 8:54 AM

Lynden Williams:

Thanks for that. I'll check it out in the morning.

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 9:11 AM

Introductions to commentaries on both James and something like Galatians or Romans would contain various amounts of discussion. Likewise commentary on James 2:14-26, Romans 4, and Galatians 3 will mention the issues.

There are reading lists on Epistle of James and Epistle to the Romans in Logos (access through the Tools menu). You can also find reading lists on topics such as justification and faith. These may lead you to resources that can help you.

I do not know of a Logos resource dealing just with this issue. Perhaps someone who has more resources than I will be able to help with that.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 418
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 9:47 AM

In Carson and Moo's Introduction to the New Testament, they reference this issue and cite Moo's Pillar New Testament Commentary on James, pages 37-48, 108-16; James Dunn, Unity and Diversity in the New Testament, 251-52; and Timo Laato, “Justification according to James: A Comparison with Paul,” TrinJ 18 (1997): 47–61

The first and last resources are available in Logos. Trinity Journal 18 is a part of the Theological Journal Library, an excellent investment, especially if you are away from a library.

Posts 73
Matthew Godwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 9:53 AM

www.biblicalstudies.org.uk can be a good source for journals...

Posts 299
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 10:08 AM

God Bless You all. I am most grateful. Gonna get started first thing in the morning.

Posts 583
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 18 2013 9:48 PM

I know I'm late to this conversation, and know you are not near a library, but here are some more citations on your topic:

Faith and Works  in Paul and James  Bibliotheca Sacra Volume 159  V 159, N 633, p 61  (2×)

and Works in Paul and James C. Ryan Jenkins C. Ryan Jenkins is Director of Sola Gratia Ministries, Montrose, California. Does James 2:14–26 (especially verse 24) contradict Romans 4…

Paul and James; Three Crucial Decades  JETS 8  V 8, N 4, p 175  (2×)

Paul and James. By Walter Schmithals. Translated by D. M. Barton. (“Studies in Biblical Theology,” No. 46.) London: S. C. M. Press, 1965. 117 pages plus bibliography and indices. 18s. (= $2.52…

The “Faith Of Abraham” Theme In Paul,   James And Hebrews: A…  JETS 20  V 20, N 3, p 201  (2×)

Faith Of Abraham” Theme In Paul, James And Hebrews: A Study In The Circumstantial Nature Of New Testament Teaching Richard N. Longenecker* The theme of the faith of Abraham is employed by…

Paul and James: Are We Justified by Faith or by Faith and…  Puritan Reformed Journal Volume 3  V 3, N 2, p 38  (2×)

Paul and James: Are We Justified by Faith or by Faith and Works?1 STEVEN J. LAWSON AND JOEL R. BEEKE Read Romans 3:21–28; James 2:14–26 We’ve got to get the doctrine of justification right for…

“Saved by Faith [Alone]” in Paul Versus “Not Saved by Faith…  Southern Baptist Journal of Theology Volume 4  V 4, N 3, p 3  (4×)

by Faith [Alone]” in Paul Versus “Not Saved by Faith Alone” in James Robert H. Stein Robert Stein is the Mildred and Ernest Hogan Professor of New Testament at The Southern Baptist

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 19 2013 4:23 AM

Sean McIntyre:
Problem is that I can't seem to locate much source material beyond a few dictionaries. I only need around five sources.

The debate is over the topic of justification, so if you search your library for that (rather than salvation), you'll probably come up with plenty that's relevant, without needing to purchase additional resources. I would run a Topic Guide on Justification, and search your Entire Library for something Paul NEAR James NEAR justification.

Posts 10850
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 19 2013 5:31 AM

Sean McIntyre:
"Some scholars claim that Paul and James have radically, even diametrically, opposing views on salvation. Explain what the problem is and assess the effectiveness of the attempts to resolve it".

This is a quick list of the resources I have found most helpful in dealing with James 2:14-26. Can send you a Word document of the complete Bibliography if you desire.

Posts 299
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2013 10:06 PM

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. It has really helped me. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS