Squares in the text

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 20 2013 6:19 PM

Hi everybody!

This question was probably answered at some time on the forums, but I am unable to make a search that delivers results. So I'm asking y'all.

For some reason, the text in some of my books (namely, at the moment Survey of OT Introduction) is not rendering correctly. I am getting squares. Case in point:

I am seeing them everywhere, footnotes, etc. This example is on p-52 of Survey of Old Testament Introduction.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 20 2013 6:43 PM

Peace, Kendall!             *smile*                                I'm getting the same "square" you are; so it appears that there is a flaw in our mutual resourse, eh???

I submitted a typo report     ..............    perhaps you'd like to also?!            *smile*

Maybe one of these days -- just for the fun of it -- we on these forums could engender say -- perhaps! -- a hundred typo reports and really catch Logos attention !          *smile*                                 Oh, well!         I imagine they have quite enough to do .............

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1717
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 20 2013 7:55 PM

This usually means the font you're using is missing a Unicode character. (We tried to ensure necessary coverage for most books in the default fonts, but a few things may have slipped through.) 

I copied the text out and tried viewing it in Arial Unicode MS, but didn't get anything sensible. I think this could just be an error, and suggest using the "report typo" feature to report it. (I'm not at my desk, and can't easily find out what character this is.)

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 20 2013 8:08 PM

Peace, Bob!             *smile*                        Wow!                              Absolutely great to hear from you!              We realise, Bob, that you folks have a lot "on your plate," so go now and be with your family -- and Thanks Indeed for "dropping by"..................     Truly appreciated!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 20 2013 9:05 PM
Bob Pritchett:

This usually means the font you're using is missing a Unicode character. (We tried to ensure necessary coverage for most books in the default fonts, but a few things may have slipped through.) 

I copied the text out and tried viewing it in Arial Unicode MS, but didn't get anything sensible. I think this could just be an error, and suggest using the "report typo" feature to report it. (I'm not at my desk, and can't easily find out what character this is.)

My guess is that it is an apostrophe of some sort to transliterate the aleph in Hebrew—perhaps U02BC.

UPDATE: My copy shows a blank in that position.

Double update: I use KadmosU as my default resource font. If I change it to Times New Roman (which KadmosU very much resembles), I also get the square.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 20 2013 9:45 PM

Thanks for answering my question y'all! Especially surprised to see Bob  being so kind as to pitch in. I will report such errors as type-o's in the future, then.

I bet it is a backwards apostrophe to represent עAyin or something.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 20 2013 10:06 PM
Kendall Sholtess:

Thanks for answering my question y'all! Especially surprised to see Bob  being so kind as to pitch in. I will report such errors as type-o's in the future, then.

I bet it is a backwards apostrophe to represent עAyin or something.

My guess still is that it is an apostrophe to represent an ALEPH, not AYIN (note that Archer states "by the Greek preposition syn, “with,” governing the accusative case". One reason I don't like transliterations—you need to sometimes guess what the original was.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 20 2013 10:10 PM

Oh yeah, you're right George. The little square had hypnotized me into not paying attention to what Dr. Archer was saying.

Posts 361
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 21 2013 4:44 AM

This may not help you. But the resource was originally written for Charis SIL truetype font.

The SQUARE in the text is looking for Keystroke ALT+0127. Which is not assigned.

Here is how your paragraph should read ....

Page 41

Stephen Miller

Sydney Australia

Posts 9015
LogosEmployee

This appears to be a systemic error throughout the resource, so I've reported it. There's no need to report each instance as a typo.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS