Search for Greek words in the Perseus Classics Collection

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9
Raymond | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 23 2013 7:09 PM

Hi,

I very much appreciate if someone could guide me towards any instruction on how to check to see whether a New Testament Greek word could also be found in the Perseus Classics Collection in order to establish its possible meaning in Classical Greek.  I remember seeing an instruction by Morris Proctor on the blog some time ago, but I can't find it.

Many thanks for your help and God bless.

Raymond Suen 

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 8:08 PM

Raymond, run a Bible Word Study on the Greek word. You can start with the English word if you want to. Right click, choose Lemma, then Bible Word Study. At the bottom of the Bible Word Study panel you'll find "Textual Searches" and a section called Classics. If you click on Classics it will run a lemma search on the word and show your hits in the classic works.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3304
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 8:29 PM

Raymond:

I remember seeing an instruction by Morris Proctor on the blog some time ago, but I can't find it.

Many thanks for your help and God bless.

Hi Raymond,

Mark's on the money. This blog is not Moe's but I think it is the reference you seek. http://blog.logos.com/2011/09/how-the-perseus-classics-collection-can-transform-your-textual-searches-in-logos/ 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2013 4:49 PM

Peace, Raymond, Mark, Beloved!

thanks for your posts!            *smile*           Beloved, thanks for the link ....  please note that Mark Barnes has a comment there that I'm sharing now (it may or may not be helpful to you, eh?) :            Actually I'm not quite sure of the value of Mark's idea for the average user ...         It gives you a whole different "count" than the Perseus Classics collection; and I'm not quite sure which of the two I want to go with ....

Mark Barnes There's a much easier way to get to an English translation of a Perseus resource. First, create a Perseus Collection by using the collection rule "publisher:perseus" (without the quotes). Make sure "Show in parallel resources" is also ticked. Then, when you're reading a Greek or Latin resource, you can click the Parallel Resources menu, and simply switch to the English translation from there. Reply · 1 · Like· September 30, 2011 at 4:18am

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9
Raymond | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2013 9:19 PM

Thank you all for your advice and God bless.

Raymond

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS