Bug: descriptive title

Within your post include:-

Description
describe your problem

Steps to reproduce

1. Load Logos
  2. Click layouts
  3. Delete on right pane
  4. If it's the last instance of a saved layout, the layout is gone forever, as far as I can tell.

Actual Result
Saved layout is gone. If you have 9 instances on the right, it appears you can delete 8 of them with no bad consequences. But that ninth one. What I don't know is if I delete the newest one, that will cause an older one to be retained with the named layout saved.
Expected Result
It should refuse to delete the saved instance with the last version.

System Specs
Laptop i5 8GM 500G HD

Comments
While is does appear that old snapshots, etc., do fall off the end, it is useful to get rid of old unused ones in order to more easily find them on the right. And fewer items seems to translate into faster loading.

I hope this isn't a duplicate- I did a bunch of searching and while I found reports of this, I didn't find an actual bug report.

Posts 10313
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 26 2013 3:29 PM

Nelson ... bad news.  Your issue is a duplicate. Technically not a duplicate ... more than a duplicate.  

But it's refreshing to see yet another report.

You're probably wondering why after so many years?  It has to do with the Logos UI rule of letting the user make a big mistake so they'll learn.  Kind of like a road department with no warning signs.

Posts 37
Nelson R. Pardee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 26 2013 3:40 PM

I could see reports of this but couldn't really tell if there was a bug report. (Which leads me to another frustration in wanting better tools to search the forum.)
Anyway, I understand design philosophy- I spent 36 years in IT, including writing code- and this definitely wasn't my philosophy! 
Thanks for responding quickly! Makes me hopeful someone will respond to my question about managing the dozens of layouts I have.Smile

Posts 25100
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 26 2013 11:44 PM

Nelson R. Pardee:
Saved layout is gone. If you have 9 instances on the right, it appears you can delete 8 of them with no bad consequences. But that ninth one.

It's quite logical that deleting all the named layouts will remove the layout name from the left panel. But I think there should be a confirmation dialogue before removing the last instance.

Nelson R. Pardee:
What I don't know is if I delete the newest one, that will cause an older one to be retained with the named layout saved.

It doesn't affect the layout on screen. When you restart Logos there is no impact if you open the Most Recent layout in Settings (the At startup option), because current layout is saved as "application closed" when you exit. However, if you start with the named layout option then you will get the most recent layout of that name.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 37
Nelson R. Pardee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 27 2013 2:17 PM

Definitely agree with the need for some kind of dialog before the last instance being deleted.

I think there's some confusion on the second one: suppose I have 5 instances of a saved layout I'll call "MyOldLayout", and I am in another layout altogether I'll call "MyCurrentLayout". If I delete the most recent instance of MyOldLayout in the right pane- wondering if that will delete the saved instance of MyOldLayout? So I decided to test it, and the answer is, it still keeps the ones you don't delete. But you better not delete the most recent instance in the right pane if you wanted to keep the most recent instance. So if you have instances of MyOld Layout from yesterday, and 2 days ago, 10 days ago, 15, and 25, and you delete yesterday's in the right pane- when you choose MyOldLayout in the left pane, you'll get the version from 2 days ago. Moral: be very careful which ones you delete.

Posts 25100
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 27 2013 3:48 PM

Nelson R. Pardee:
I think there's some confusion on the second one:

I assumed you were deleting the most recent version of your active/current layout. But the effect of then clicking the layout name in the left pane is the same as you describe.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS