Bug: Egypt tagged incorrectly in Biblical Places

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 21 2009 2:33 PM

Call up Egypt in Biblical Places and you'll get dictionary articles for the mythological sea dragon Rahab - but nothing on Egypt!

While I'm at in a topic search on Egypt returns Egypt (Person) from Anchor, when there are a whole bunch of more relevant topics in that dictionary.

Posts 956
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 4:07 PM

Mark:

There are a couple of different issues here, but you're right that we're missing some connections we ought to have (like the connection from Egypt as a region to Egypt topics). Anchor doesn't seem to have an article on the land of Egypt or the Egyptian people as a whole (if you look at Egyptians in Biblical People you'll find some other dictionaries that do). Rahab is a legitimate connection, since that's sometimes used as the (metaphorical) name for the nation of Egypt (e.g. Is 30:7). But on the whole this data clearly doesn't go far enough: we'll take a look and improve it.

One area where we still have a lot of work to do is the relationships between topics that are different but connection: for example, Egypt (the geopolitical entity), the Egyptian people, the Egyptian language or religion, etc. We want to capture these relationships, but that's challenging when something is not the same but related (at varying degrees of "closeness"). You can find some of these now in the completions for "Egyptian " (putting a space will include multi-word topics): but of course it would be better if you didn't have to have that level of knowledge to find what you're looking for. 

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 4:14 PM

Thanks Sean. I appreciate Anchor is a problem here, not having a topic on Egypt.

But the issue in Biblical Places is that BP Egypt the place seems to have several topics linked to it: the place, Ham, and Rahab (the latter used symbolically). When the topics are generated, they're generated from Rahab, not from Egypt. This is a bug, or bad tagging. If you do a search for Egypt, you'll see that several resources have topics tagged as Egypt, and these should obviously show in BP ahead of those Rahab articles.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 4:36 PM

Sean,

What happened to your Logos Icon? You're obviously logged in under a different account....

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 4:45 PM

Damian McGrath:

Sean,

What happened to your Logos Icon? You're obviously logged in under a different account....

Schizophrenia! At one point we set up another (internal) account for me, but most of my forum posts have been with my "civilian" identity. Here i'm back to my (external) self.

Posts 32535
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 4:46 PM

Sean Boisen:
We want to capture these relationships, but that's challenging when something is not the same but related (at varying degrees of "closeness").

Challenging? yes, but also the FUN part! There are so many fun toys trying to address this type of problem Try this link http://www.visuwords.com/?word=Egypt

for an absolutely wonderful, playful and serious take on the issue.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 4:50 PM

Mark Barnes:
If you do a search for Egypt, you'll see that several resources have topics tagged as Egypt, and these should obviously show in BP ahead of those Rahab articles.

Yes, we don't actually have any plain vanilla topic for Egypt (the national entity), but we should, and therefore we're also missing the link from "Egypt" (the Biblical Place) to the topic "Egypt" (among other things). There are actually several data bugs conflated here.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 4:52 PM

Sean Boisen:

Schizophrenia! At one point we set up another (internal) account for me, but most of my forum posts have been with my "civilian" identity. Here i'm back to my (external) self.

That's better. I like being able to put a smiling face to the name - says I who use a cartoon character.

BTW. Schizophrenia is a perception disorder - it is often confused in common parlance with Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder).... 

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 4:52 PM

MJ. Smith:

Challenging? yes, but also the FUN part! There are so many fun toys trying to address this type of problem Try this link http://www.visuwords.com/?word=Egypt

for an absolutely wonderful, playful and serious take on the issue.

And believe it or not, the WordNet database (which the site you referenced uses for its visual display) is on our roadmap (though quite a ways down the road) for extending our new-style topics. There's a subset of this information that overlaps with Biblical terminology and usage. We still have a lot of work to do ...

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 4:53 PM

Damian McGrath:
BTW. Schizophrenia is a perception disorder - it is often confused in common parlance with Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder).... 

Both of me stand corrected Smile

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 4:56 PM

Sean Boisen:
Both of me stand corrected

LOL.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS