Size of Resources

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19
Adam Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 1 2013 6:25 AM

Hey all - 

I was wondering if there is any way to compress the size of the resources on my hard drive. My library is currently sitting at 19.2 gb and just continues to grow with updates. Is there any way to shrink that down?

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 6:54 AM

If you have resources you do not need or use (e.g. Resources in languages you cannot read) you can hide those.

http://wiki.logos.com/Hiding_Books

Posts 29046
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 8:15 AM

Fred gave you a link to hide books... But I'd warn against it. You should think about increasing your HD space. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 26400
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 3:07 PM

Adam Turner:
I was wondering if there is any way to compress the size of the resources on my hard drive.

Disk compression used to be a popular way to get additional space on the hard drive (when they were small and expensive) and that's the only feasible method as your resource files can't be compressed i.e. compress everything else on your drive!

In reality you have two choices:

• get a larger drive; or
  • hide resources you won't be using

A larger drive is inevitable. If you hide resources and then decide you want to use them it can be hard work to unhide them and then you will want a larger driveBig Smile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 3:21 PM

Does hiding resources that have a reverse interlinear, conserve a lot of disk space? I don't have the NIV, but I have base-packages with reverse interlinears, does the NIV11 reverse interlinear take up space on my drive, and if it does is there a file that can safely delete?

Some resources have a whole lot of large images, so hiding such resources would clear a lot of disk space, supposing You don't want to use them.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 5:18 PM

Unix:

Does hiding resources that have a reverse interlinear, conserve a lot of disk space? I don't have the NIV, but I have base-packages with reverse interlinears, does the NIV11 reverse interlinear take up space on my drive, and if it does is there a file that can safely delete?

Some resources have a whole lot of large images, so hiding such resources would clear a lot of disk space, supposing You don't want to use them.

I don't know how much space the resources you do not use or want (though they came with a base package) uses on your hard drive. However hiding them does free up the comensurate amount of space. Deleting a resource would not work because everytime you started logos it would want to download that resource. Hiding it has the same effect but logos knows you do not want the hidden resource. If you decide that you do want it later, you can unhide it and restart logos. When you restart it will download the file that was hidden.

Personally I have no hidden resources because larger drives (not including SSD) are fairly cheap.

Posts 26400
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 6:29 PM

Unix:
Does hiding resources that have a reverse interlinear, conserve a lot of disk space?

The reverse interlinear (RVI) datasets for the 10x English Bibles (ESV, NKJV, NASB, etc) take up 1.1 GB. Each bible is about 20 MB.

However, you can't hide the RVI files and I'm not sure that hiding the bible will remove the corresponding datasets. If you then try to delete them manually, I suspect they will be re-downloaded. Try hiding a bible and see what happens - the datasets are *.lbsrvi with suggestive names like NRSVOT, NRSVNT, LEBNT, etc

Further space will be saved if you rebuild the resource indexes as they will then not include data for the hidden files.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19140
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 7:15 PM

If you're that close to the edge that hiding a few resources or rebuilding indexes is necessary in order to keep running Logos, then I would strongly suggest it's time to expand your hard disk storage space. Otherwise, you'll be constantly chasing after more space trying to squeeze out a little bit here and there. Next time you get a new library update, you'll be up against the wall again. It frankly isn't worth the time you'll spend deleting stuff and managing your free space. And your performance will suffer too, because the disk will get fragmented, and you'll need to defrag it more often.

I always try to maintain at least 25% of my disk free, and when I get fuller than that, I clear up some of the easy stuff (cached Internet files and such), but after that stops working to keep me below 75% full, I know it's time to upgrade.

Disk space is so cheap these days (under 10 cents a gigabyte; you can get a 1 terabyte drive [that's 1000 gigabytes!] for as little as $65, or a 250 GB drive for about $30). So add a second drive and your troubles will be over.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 9:49 PM
Rosie Perera:

If you're that close to the edge that hiding a few resources or rebuilding indexes is necessary in order to keep running Logos, then I would strongly suggest it's time to expand your hard disk storage space.…

Disk space is so cheap these days (under 10 cents a gigabyte; you can get a 1 terabyte drive [that's 1000 gigabytes!] for as little as $65, or a 250 GB drive for about $30). So add a second drive and your troubles will be over.

I agree with Rosie (and others). I would recommend a HD TWICE the size of the files on it. This will allow easier defraging of the files (Here I'm thinking of non-Logos files) and indexing of your resources (Logos) thus speeding up operations.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS