Which non-surface non-rt Tablet will run Logos 5.0 for under $600 this HOLY-day season?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 19 2013 4:51 AM

I know there are multiple strings with systems running Bay Trail and Haswell chips on here now, but anyone having any luck fitting these specs below to an affordable Windows 8.1 tablet yet?

Windows - Recommended:

•Windows 8 Pro ("RT" Not Supported)

•Intel i5 Processor (or AMD equivalent)

•6GB+ RAM

•DVD-ROM drive (only required for non-downloadable items)

•1280X1024 display

•1GB+ DirectX11 Compatible Video Card

•30GB Free Space - Internal HDD/SSD Only

(May require additional space depending on your library)

•Broadband internet connection

http://www.logos.com/support/logos5/hardware

Posts 2952
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 7:27 AM

I haven't seen anything under $600 with more than 2 GB of RAM or with a 1 GB Video Card.  In fact, I don't think even Surface Pro 2 has a Video Card.  I think it uses shared memory and the graphics that are part of the Haswell processor.  Is there any tablet with a dedicated graphics card?

I just don't believe such a thing exists in that price range.

However, lots of people are running L 5, albeit not at desktop speeds, on tablets with 2 or 4 GB RAM and without a video card.  And they are doing it on tables closer to price range you are looking for.

If you do find a tablet such as you describe for $600, you will make us all much happier.  Perhaps time will make it happen as prices always drop as the next latest and greatest comes out.

It doesn't fit your criteria, but some are trying to run Logos on the Asus Transformer Book T100T, which is under your price range, but only has 2 GB of RAM.  Personally, I wonder how the Dell Venue Pro 11 with 4 GB of RAM for $800 would run Logos 5.  I'd think not at desktop speed, but not too badly either.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2729
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 8:52 AM
This may be as close as you get. $499 on Black Friday at Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-split-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-4gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-modern-silver/1799161.p?id=1219064720472&skuId=1799161

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 9:19 AM

You might also keep an eye on Amazon Black Friday & Goldbox Deals. And on Woot (which I think is now owned by Amazon). Some great deals show up through the holidays and the lightning deals are fun. They also have emails you can sign up for. I don't know if they will have tablets, but they always have some cheap deals on desktops & laptops and a thousand other things.

Posts 55
Jeff Miles | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 9:49 AM

The recommended specs by Logos are a bit inflated in my opinion, especially on the RAM requirement. I'm not sure how they come up with those specs but I have never come close to needing what they state, and I use Logos almost daily with a dozen or more synced windows open at the same time. For example, I run Logos 5 all of the time on a machine with 4GB RAM and I cannot tell ANY difference running it on that machine as on one with 6GB+ of RAM. Another area where the recommended specs seem to be exaggerated is the claimed video card needed. 1GB+ DirectX 11? Seriously? My experience does not support that. Again, I use Logos on different machines with different video cards and cannot tell any difference in the performance. I use it on everything from basic Intel shared memory garbage video to a high-end 3D gaming card with 1GB+ of memory, and see no difference at all in screen redraw performance between the machines.

For example, I run Logos 5 on a Surface Pro 1 and it is as smooth as butter. (Specs: i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Windows Pro 8.1, Intel 4000 graphics)

One thought for you to consider: The Surface Pro 2 may be out of your price range, but there are lots of Surface Pro 1's available now for $600 and under on Craigslist and Ebay.

Posts 6005
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 10:53 AM

I have a 4-5 year old machine running win 7 pro 32bit, with 4Gb Ram, and 1Gb of video Memory.  If I had Win 7 Pro 64bit with 6GB of Ram, maybe performance would be better, but I've got no complaints with my current hardware platform. I have no issues running L5.   I think though the thing to remember is they are recommendations for optimal performance rather than minimum requirements.  In the past they have given minimum requirements and their have been complaints they have been to,low to get good performance, hence they now give recommendations for optimal performance.  The recommendations are not to say you can't run Logos 5 on less.  

pistos:

The recommended specs by Logos are a bit inflated in my opinion, especially on the RAM requirement. I'm not sure how they come up with those specs but I have never come close to needing what they state, and I use Logos almost daily with a dozen or more synced windows open at the same time. For example, I run Logos 5 all of the time on a machine with 4GB RAM and I cannot tell ANY difference running it on that machine as on one with 6GB+ of RAM. Another area where the recommended specs seem to be exaggerated is the claimed video card needed. 1GB+ DirectX 11? Seriously? My experience does not support that. Again, I use Logos on different machines with different video cards and cannot tell any difference in the performance. I use it on everything from basic Intel shared memory garbage video to a high-end 3D gaming card with 1GB+ of memory, and see no difference at all in screen redraw performance between the machines.

For example, I run Logos 5 on a Surface Pro 1 and it is as smooth as butter. (Specs: i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Windows Pro 8.1, Intel 4000 graphics)

One thought for you to consider: The Surface Pro 2 may be out of your price range, but there are lots of Surface Pro 1's available now for $600 and under on Craigslist and Ebay.

Posts 55
Jeff Miles | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 1:02 PM

Agreed. But the specs they recommend now are so high that it creates unnecessary worries for people who think they need a NASA class mainframe to run Logos.  Wink

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 7:58 PM

Dave, Michael, Randy and others...thanks again for weighing in.

I might finally buy something in the next couple of weeks.  Leaning toward the heavy and hot-in-temperature Older Surface as it may be cheaper.  I like David's possibility too.

Blessings all.

Posts 2729
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:40 AM
JoshInRI:

Dave, Michael, Randy and others...thanks again for weighing in.

I might finally buy something in the next couple of weeks.  Leaning toward the heavy and hot-in-temperature Older Surface as it may be cheaper.  I like David's possibility too.

Blessings all.

Even though you think it is hot and heavy. I offered my suggestion because of your persistence (Luke 11:8), but would prefer the first gen Surface if you can find it used somewhere. The digitizer pen and type cover make the Surface a sweet piece of technology.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS