The Harvard Classics looks so cool, but...

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 44
Sam Shaw | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 22 2009 5:12 PM

They look so cool, but my dad said his college roommate bought the physical set but never read any of it. I guess greatness ≠ interesting, although I was kinda hoping it would. I'm now a little discouraged. :(

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 5:16 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE HE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

You ≠ you dad's college roommate.

Granted, it would be a waste of money to purchase and never read. So would you have the discipline to read these books on a screen? Would you want to read enough of them to justify purchasing a bundle instead of purchasing the individual books that interest you? If you answer yes, buy the set, if no, then spend your money on something you will use.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 6:00 PM

I keep thinking about getting this, not so much to sit and read, but for references, and quotes. And the pre-pub price is less than a used hardcover set.

There is a reading guide available here.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 34425
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 6:03 PM

Sam Shaw:
They look so cool, but my dad said his college roommate bought the physical set but never read any of it. I guess greatness ≠ interesting, although I was kinda hoping it would. I'm now a little discouraged.

My sister bought and read the physical set.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 6:14 PM

MJ. Smith:
My sister bought and read the physical set.

I've have read most of them over the last "undisclosed" years, and thanks to the "World Wide Web" most can be researched via Google, so having to reach for one on the shelf to get a quote isn't necessary. But having them in Logos, with the quick search, would be a benefit. It's really just a matter of justifying the cost...

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 6:43 PM

It just occurred to me that I've come upon a ironic moment in my life.

The main reason I'm thinking about this resource (as well as one of the main reasons I use Logos) is the ability to have what I need in one program, and not have to leave the software to do research or something else.

Which seems to be in direct contrast to Logos' position on turning on the spell checker in L4 “Logos has not wanted to build all the functions of a word processor, of which there are many good ones, into the Notes function.”

Posts 2550
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 7:51 PM

I would love to see enough orders move this set into production.  There are some books that I would try to read in their entirety, but I would mostly use them for references and quotes as someone else stated above.  For me it is definitely worth the cost.

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:03 PM

They do seem to have moved into production.

I signed up for these the first day or so and was surprised to see that they did not moved quickly into production. I expect to read some of these and be glad to have the rest 'in case.' Even at the new pre-pub price they are a pretty good bargain.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 44
Sam Shaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:13 PM

Kevin Becker:
Granted, it would be a waste of money to purchase and never read. So would you have the discipline to read these books on a screen?

That might be the one thing that would stop me. I'm not very disciplined, which means I should probably invest in Disciplines of a Godly Man first! And/or pray to God—yeah, that would probably work better.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:55 PM

Sam Shaw:

They look so cool, but my dad said his college roommate bought the physical set but never read any of it. I guess greatness ≠ interesting, although I was kinda hoping it would. I'm now a little discouraged. :(

There are a lot of Bibles across America that just gather dust on the shelf too. Just because your Dad's roommate had no interest in the Harvard Classics doesn't mean the content is dry, boring or worthless. Maybe they had a Magnavox Pong video console in their dorm room. They were so much cooler than reading you know.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 11:40 PM

Kevin Becker:
So would you have the discipline to read these books on a screen?

If tablet PCs and Apples continue to develop and be refined, I think reading books like this do become more and more of an option. At least that is what I am hoping!!!

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 12:07 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Kevin Becker:
So would you have the discipline to read these books on a screen?

If tablet PCs and Apples continue to develop and be refined, I think reading books like this do become more and more of an option. At least that is what I am hoping!!!

The problem that I have with reading on a PC is that I keep thinking that I should be working on something when I'm at a keyboard. Bible studies to do, emails come in, banking to get caught up on, forums to read and reply to, etc...

I wonder if a Tablet would lend itself to reading, knowing that all these distraction can still be accomplished on one?

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 12:42 PM

Paul Golder:
I wonder if a Tablet would lend itself to reading, knowing that all these distraction can still be accomplished on one?

I'm not sure how to answer this. However, the link that Bob posted recently on the Sports Illustrated Demo is a possible glimpse into the future.  http://michaelhyatt.com/2009/12/the-end-of-book-publishing-as-we-know-it.html

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 1:10 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:
I'm not sure how to answer this. However, the link that Bob posted recently on the Sports Illustrated Demo is a possible glimpse into the future.  http://michaelhyatt.com/2009/12/the-end-of-book-publishing-as-we-know-it.html

Quoting Bob "People will be reading more than ever"

I hope this is true, I miss the day when you could go to work and talk to others about what everyone read in the paper last night.

I still wonder about a machine that can do too much, keeping people form accomplishing a simple thing like reading. This I feel is where a device like the Kindle shines, all you do with it is read, no worries about an icon popping up and telling you that you have an email / call / message. Or thinking about that sermon (or anything) that needs finishing, only a few finger presses away.

There is one thing to be sure of, as Logos proves, change is coming...

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 1:17 PM

Paul Golder:
Quoting Bob "People will be reading more than ever"

I think this is on the presupposition that by removing delivery barriers, people will read more. I think they will read more, but your point is well taken, is it quality and focused reading? 

A number of my friends do not read books any more. Yet, if I look at their lifestyles, they spend hours in front of the computer. They are reading blogs, websites, etc.  Even when they do this, they are being distracted.  How many people do you know have at least six ways to receive communications? (email accounts, IM, micro blogging, social media, etc) I read an article recently that people are actually more on information overload than ever and don't know it, simply because they don't just have one email account anymore where they can gauge the amount of communications coming at them.

You are completely correct, change is coming...

Posts 2917
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 5:58 AM

The Harvard Classics and Fiction Collection (71 Vols.)   more commonly known as “The Five-Foot Shelf,”

Vol. 14: Don Quixote, Part 1, Cervantes

The First Part of the Delightful History of the Most Ingenious Knight, Don Quixote of the Mancha, by Miguel de Cervantes

(Charles W. Eliot chose not to include the second part of Don Quixote in the Harvard Fiction collection)

Could we drum up some support to have LOGOS include the second part?

Also Vol. 16: The Thousand and One Nights

Benefits of the Logos Bible Software Edition (…) Whether you are a (…) seasoned pastor

Please post your sermon using quotes from vol 16

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 1:05 PM

David Ames:
The Harvard Classics and Fiction Collection (71 Vols.)  

http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/3661

There are many resources published in Logos that on the surface have no relation to the study of the Bible and the preparation and delivery of sermons.

David Ames:
Could we drum up some support to have LOGOS include the second part?

Your point is well taken. I would agree having complete, unabridged works is the ideal way to go. But when dealing with a classic collection it is of historical value to keep the set as true to the original content as possible while maintaining the namesake. Dr Elliott was trying to offer the average reader a broad education in 15 minutes a day. Other reading lists I would welcome in Logos are some of the other compilations attempting to lay claim as THE Western Canon (and they have already been discussed in other threads.) Wikipedia has several under the "Western Canon" article. MJ has also suggested an Eastern Canon (--we are not talking strictly church here.)

Logos also offers historical collections that could be beneficial to nationalist specific audiences: The Christian History Library  http://www.logos.com/products/details/3525

David Ames:
Please post your sermon using quotes from vol 16

I was ready to take up your challenge for a useful example of 1001 Arabian Nights in a sermon illustration. My example was to be "The Appointment in Samarra" and I thought it was part of Burton's retelling. It is not. We will have to settle for the benefits of a liberal education unless someone else offers their sermon ideas. Huh?

David Ames:
Benefits of the Logos Bible Software Edition (…)

I have had Harvard Classics & Fiction on Pre-Pub since 04/18/2008. If it were already in my resources, I could have searched and known immediately "The Appointment" was not one of the tales.  Surprise Parents who school their own children could use Harvard Classics to give their children a classical education that surpasses many colleges.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2010 5:40 PM

Matthew C Jones:
I have had Harvard Classics & Fiction on Pre-Pub since 04/18/2008

It looks like your wait will end at 1,421,280 minutes, on the last day of 2010Big Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 8:18 PM

Paul Golder:

Matthew C Jones:
I have had Harvard Classics & Fiction on Pre-Pub since 04/18/2008

It looks like your wait will end at 1,421,280 minutes, on the last day of 2010Big Smile

Thanks for figuring how long the wait was.   I felt every second of it.

It will be nice. I hope everyone else will consider what a good deal the Pre-Pub price is.

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 8:31 PM

Regretfully, I had to opt out...it was either put a working roof on over my computer or books in it.  Sadly, I chose the roof.

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS