Need laptop buying advice

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Chip Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 23 2013 7:40 PM

I'm in desperate need of a new laptop. Obviously I would want it to run my L5.  I would prefer a thin, portable ultrabookish model with no more than 14in screen. I have an ipad mini I use for mobile reading so a 2-in-1 is not that appealing.  I'm looking to spend around $750 or so.  Any suggestions or ideas?

More specifically, would I be better off to go with a 6 or 8 gb ram and a HDD hard drive, or a 4 gb ram with a SSD drive?  I'm assuming an i5 processor is pretty standard, or would an i3 get the job done?

Thanks in advance,

Chip

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2013 8:04 PM

Chip Parker:

I'm in desperate need of a new laptop. Obviously I would want it to run my L5.  I would prefer a thin, portable ultrabookish model with no more than 14in screen. I have an ipad mini I use for mobile reading so a 2-in-1 is not that appealing.  I'm looking to spend around $750 or so.  Any suggestions or ideas?

More specifically, would I be better off to go with a 6 or 8 gb ram and a HDD hard drive, or a 4 gb ram with a SSD drive?  I'm assuming an i5 processor is pretty standard, or would an i3 get the job done?

Thanks in advance,

Chip

At $750 ultrabooks with an SSD are a little out of reach. If you could swing $799, Best Buy has a great deal on a Lenovo 11.6 inch, i5, 128GB SSD with 4GB RAM called the Yoga 11s. It runs Logos fine because I tested it out. If you can go up to $999, Best Buy has the same in a 13.3 inch model called the Yoga 2 Pro.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2013 10:09 PM

Chip Parker:
Any suggestions or ideas?

Apple offers refurbished MacBook Air models => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air

Noticed June 2013 11.6" MacBook Air with 1.3 GHz i5, 4 GB Ram and 128 GB SSD for $ 849.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4
Chip Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 4:14 AM

Bill Anderson:

Chip Parker:

Thanks in advance,

Chip

At $750 ultrabooks with an SSD are a little out of reach. If you could swing $799, Best Buy has a great deal on a Lenovo 11.6 inch, i5, 128GB SSD with 4GB RAM called the Yoga 11s. It runs Logos fine because I tested it out. If you can go up to $999, Best Buy has the same in a 13.3 inch model called the Yoga 2 Pro.

Actually I am looking at the yoga. Would that be faster than say another laptop with a  6 or 8gb ram and the standard HDD drive?

Posts 4
Chip Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 4:15 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Chip Parker:
Any suggestions or ideas?

Apple offers refurbished MacBook Air models => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air

Noticed June 2013 11.6" MacBook Air with 1.3 GHz i5, 4 GB Ram and 128 GB SSD for $ 849.

Keep Smiling Smile

saw that one as well, great price

Posts 36
Nathan Madison | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 4:20 AM

for logos a database driven app the more ram the better but as far a speed regardless of brand name pay attention to which i5 or i7 processor is listed in the specs.. don't be afraid to put the sales staff to work just guard your wallet and choose the best one within your price range (budget)... 

Nathan Madison

Posts 8835
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 4:25 AM

In addition Chip I would not sacrifice having a SSD if at all possible. It has made the world of difference in performance for my laptop. Let us know what you finally choose.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1129
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 10:07 AM

Bruce Dunning:

In addition Chip I would not sacrifice having a SSD if at all possible. It has made the world of difference in performance for my laptop. Let us know what you finally choose.

Yes

Posts 4
Chip Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 11:36 AM

Thanks for all the input. I think I have settled on a Lenovo Flex14 with i7 processor 8gbs ram and a 256gb ssd for $899. Thanks again!

Posts 8835
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 1:27 PM

Chip Parker:

Thanks for all the input. I think I have settled on a Lenovo Flex14 with i7 processor 8gbs ram and a 256gb ssd for $899. Thanks again!

Good decision. Enjoy!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS