More Journals - More Journals - More Journals!

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 742
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 26 2013 11:22 AM

The Journals are THE best thing in Logos - i.e. almost impossible to get hold of elsewhere or really expensive to subscribe to directly

Please explore adding

Catholic Biblical Quarterly

Interpretation: A Journal of Bible and Theology.

Journal of Oriental and African Studies

just more journals ......

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 26 2013 11:35 AM

+ 1 from me.  I love searching my library for a subject then finding a surprise article on the subject I'm interested in.

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 26 2013 11:42 AM

Good news! As a result of a recent partnership with the American Schools of Oriental Research (ASOR), we'll be making nearly 20 years worth of their journals available in Logos:

• The Biblical Archaeologist and Near Eastern Archaeology, 1992–2011 (20 vols.)
  • Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research, 1992–2011 (78 vols.) 
  • Journal of Cuneiform Studies, 1991–2011 (19 vols.)

These will be posted over the next couple of weeks.

Posts 9828
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 26 2013 12:33 PM

That is great news.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 2 2014 11:09 AM

Kevin A Lewis:

Please explore adding

Catholic Biblical Quarterly

Interpretation: A Journal of Bible and Theology.

Journal of Oriental and African Studies

Yes to all!

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 2 2014 11:12 AM

Michael Grigoni:

On it. Access to journals are one of the things I miss most after graduating Columbia University as an ungraduate. Lexis-Nexus and Jstor in particular were my go to databases. But, having more journals in Logos will be a MOST welcome development. Let's continue on this trend ad infinitum!

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 2 2014 9:16 PM

Kevin A Lewis:

PBI's Biblica is free on the web. It ought to be relatively cheap and easy to get. Especially since Logos already has a relationship with PBI.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 10:47 AM

Yes please!  Also suggest:

Everything we are losing from Galaxie Journals, plus...

• Master Seminary Journals
  • Expository Times
  • New Testament Studies
  • Mission Studies

Agree. Journals, journals, journals! 

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 7:20 AM

Glad to learn the journals are getting more attention. I lost a good amount of interest due to what appeared to me to be a lot of less interesting journals being added. I have enough BibSac and that type of journals to last a life-time. I prefer journals like Trinity and Westminster and would enjoy anything that is in-depth from a Catholic viewpoint. If I see such a thing happening I could consider ordering newer additions. Without looking I think I have the entire series 1-15 and I have read many articles which I have found helpful.

Ergatees

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 7:28 AM

Ergatees:
I prefer journals like Trinity and Westminster and would enjoy anything that is in-depth from a Catholic viewpoint.

I couldn't agree more!

Posts 579
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2014 11:59 AM

Michael Grigoni:

Good news! As a result of a recent partnership with the American Schools of Oriental Research (ASOR), we'll be making nearly 20 years worth of their journals available in Logos:

These will be posted over the next couple of weeks.

Now all we need is for more people to preorder them.

I would LOVE more journals that discuss Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek languages more in depth. Since I desire to do in depth research and publish scholarly books (and perhaps more) the more books, dictionaries, lexicons, and ESPECIALLY Journals on the ANE, Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Persians, Akkadians, and other cultures that might have had an influence on Hebrew and Hebrew thought would be highly useful. So would be Journals on Church History, on Islam, Textual Criticism, Archaeology and more would be useful and helpful. As I read through commentaries, bible dictionaries, lexicons, and monographs, I see all sorts of scholarly Journals referenced, and so I would love to see as many of them in Logos as is TRULY possible. If I am able to work on Masters and a Doctorate in the future (as well as publish scholarly works) having highly scholarly Dictionaries, Monographs, Lexicons, and Journals in electronic format would make things MUCH easier. 1) I would be able to cut down on the amount of books I would have to pack and take with me, and 2) as I travel, I would be able to take those resources with me so I could do research anywhere and whenever I find the time. I would love to see the Journals that Logos no longer has return to Logos.

I do appreciate all those at Logos who are working hard to gain access to the resources that are out there. I'm sure it is a lot of work to work with publishers to gain the rights to sell their resources in electronic format. I appreciate the efforts of the Logos teams who work tirelessly to take care of their customers.

Posts 742
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 1 2022 9:03 AM

The latest round of the regular update of Journals is out - for instance the Master Journal Bundle 7.2 (2,490+ vols.)

Regads Kevin

Posts 1435
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 1 2022 9:23 AM

Kevin A Lewis:

The latest round of the regular update of Journals is out - for instance the Master Journal Bundle 7.2 (2,490+ vols.)

Yes!  Just this morning, I was tagging my new ones.  

Posts 5586
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 1 2022 9:53 AM

Of the dozen or so most often cited journals I find referenced in Logos and my tree library, maybe 1-2 are offered in this bloated package, and then only partially. Most of what's offered in this package I am only familiar with because it's offered in this package. Still waiting on FL to twist whatever arms need to be twisted to get Vetus Testamentum , Interpretation, and all the other major journals into Logos. I am still constantly crestfallen from references to JBL from the 50s-70s that pop up constantly in my citations. Begged for HTR and JQR, and we got only the issues up to 1923. Still need HUCA, Scottish Journal of Theology, Prooftext, Catholic Bible Quarterly, and too many others to mention (I've listed dozens before elsewhere). 

Is there any way to create a report that lists the most often cited journals (and monographs) in Logos? If there is, FL should start at the top of the list and proceed to acquire each listed resource not already in the stable. I would like to see such a list.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 1435
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 1 2022 8:12 PM

David Paul:
Of the dozen or so most often cited journals I find referenced in Logos and my tree library, maybe 1-2 are offered in this bloated package, and then only partially.

Well, I only subscribe to the 'Academic'.  Just scanning the pub-dates, there's maybe 10-12 that are of recent vintage.  They seem to die off, with some regularity.  I think 'journals' are catch-as-catch-can.

I agree on HTR ... somehow I keep running into it, but the Logos ones are pretty old.

But while checking, I found an interesting article ... 'Where's Derbe?' (Tyndale)  I always thought there was something bizaare about trips to Derbe.  Apparently Cicero had issues on it too.

Posts 381
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2022 11:29 PM

A couple years ago I started a notebook to gather journal articles I found in what I was reading that was not in the Logos Ecosystem. This is a practice you should implement.

Posts 5586
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 12 2022 4:10 AM

If you have a local public library system, you can usually get access to things like Jstor for free. Of course, it is nothing at all like having the resources in Logos with ACTIVE hyperlinks (as opposed to dead links that just serve to piss customers off year after year after year after year). Still, in a pinch, that option does offer access to many of the articles that are otherwise hard or impossible to get. Also never hurts to plug your article's name in a search engine. It's hit-or-miss, but I'm surprised how often I find an article or even a whole book available in PDF on the web.

Also, I repeat:

David Paul:
Is there any way to create a report that lists the most often cited journals (and monographs) in Logos? If there is, FL should start at the top of the list and proceed to acquire each listed resource not already in the stable. I would like to see such a list.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 3763
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 20 2022 2:31 PM

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS