Searching

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 98
J. Kane | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 27 2013 11:02 AM

You know, I love Logos.  I've used it for years, have a large library - large investment.

What is so disappointing is how often it's easier to search for something in google than in Logos.

I'm thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong... or maybe it's the Logos programmers because they're not Bible teachers.

Just now I went to Bible facts... I want a graphic on the 12 tribes.  I found it in seconds on google on the net, but in Logos "12 tribes" or "tribes of Israel" doesn't even come up in Bible Facts.

I find this a recurring problem... I don't recall it in the People, Places modules that were in 2.0 - 4.0 versions.

Anyone have some thoughts?

Posts 9800
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 27 2013 11:24 AM

I must confess that I have sometimes gone to Google to do a search rather than use Logos because it was faster. I do wish that it was easier but what I have to remind myself is that the power of doing Logos searching far outweighs a simple Google search. I am continually learning how to do better searches in Logos but it is a learning curve. Here is a wiki that I have found quite helpful - http://wiki.logos.com/Detailed_Search_Help 

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 27919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 27 2013 11:28 AM

J. Kane:
What is so disappointing is how often it's easier to search for something in google than in Logos.

That's a common theme and i do agree that the twelve tribes should be indexed in Facts and that Searching in general could be easier. But do you not find the Search Helps to be useful?

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 593
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 27 2013 11:32 AM

J. Kane:
it's easier to search for something in google than in Logos.

You are talking about searching images, but your post touches on the larger topic of global searching in Logos, and that has been discussed before on the forum, such as here:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/17889/134535.aspx#134535

I agree with you--you don't have to put much thought into Google searching--just search and most of the time, what you are looking for magically appears at the top. In Logos, you have to have a level of familiarity with your library to have a good command of it.

That said, hopefully one day Logos searching will be more like google searching.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS