RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 8:42 AM

Denise:
my 1690's Go game

Now where did you find that jewel?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5
Eric | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 8:44 AM

As a PC and Mac user, there are some apps that I *never* run on the Mac side. Would you drag yourself through a pool of needles? Would your slam your hand down on a hot stove? No, just don't do it. If the Mac port is bad - setup Windows bootcamp and run the Windows version - it's free if you own a recent copy of Windows.

This is how we do things in the IT world, and it's just the way it is. It is good that you brought attention to the poor stability of the Mac port. If a company is going to develop a Mac version they might as well do it right or not do it at all! Geeked

Posts 7
Andre Robitaille | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 9:12 AM

I run Logos on a 2009 Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM and a SSD, the last of those making a massive difference.  I would bet that if you're struggling with speed and crashes that you need more RAM than you have.  Logos is insanely resource heavy and slow on OS X, so throwing RAM at it should make a pretty big impact.  Your Macbook Air should be faster than my MBP if it's recent, so I would have to think there must be something else going on.

Regarding the post about running it in Bootcamp, most people don't want to boot into another OS just to use Logos, much less pay for a copy of Windows to do so.  It shouldn't be necessary, and many of us (most?) in IT do not do that.

I agree that Logos is fairly slow, a little buggy, and very laggy with menus on the Mac side, but I'm continually amazed by it.  If I just need a really quick read of a passage with light commentary, I'll jump into Olive's products because they're really fast and their iOS app is absolutely fantastic. But if I'm going to sit down and try to read/study something, Logos crushes everything else I've used.

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 9:42 AM

As the guy that started this thread, I'm delighted that the issue is getting some attention, which was my purpose in the first place.  I have a MB Air (mid 2012) 1.8ghz with 4GB of Ram and Apple's stock SSD.

However, I would just like to point out that my beef is not necessarily slow performance.  It is the fact that the program hangs up ALL the time.  I don't often use Logos on my Mac Mini (with 16GB of RAM) but it hangs up on that installation as well.

I think the point has been well-made in this thread that the program was designed for Windows, works better on Windows and has a lot of problems on OSX that are not primarily attributable to the Mac hardware configuration or OSX itself, but to the way this application was developed for Mac OS.  

For that reason, as I stated in the beginning, I am frustrated with it.  Logos has a mac product that is sub-standard, and I won't recommend it.  Bottom line. Period. Stop.  

Theological Reflection with Practical Application

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 8626
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 10:22 AM

bryan jay:
I don't often use Logos on my Mac Mini (with 16GB of RAM) but it hangs up on that installation as well.

I hear your complaint but I've never had any issues with my mini with the same configuration as yours. I'm not sure why some have issues and others do not. I should also mention that I primarily use a PC.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 7
Andre Robitaille | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 10:27 AM

I think I've had it hang once or twice, but in the couple times my wife has used it she had problems because she didn't quit it before putting the laptop to sleep (either left open the window entirely or only closed the window and didn't quit).

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 10:38 AM
Denise, if you think you're steamed, I don't know where that leaves me but at the bottom of the Stew Pot looking for the corner. I'm very disappointed having near 0 problems with Logos 5 on this ASUS. Hopefully, my day will come!!!?! :-]
Posts 9678
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 1:45 PM

Super.Tramp ... the latest SmartGo Kifu contained the historical library (though being new to iOS, it could have been there all along!). The game was Honimbo Sakugen vs Yasui Senkaku.  Surprisingly, the strategy is quite modern; absent the date, I'd put it in the 1980s.

Bootjack ... it's like going to the hospital when you're not sick. You almost have to invent something.

Posts 10331
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 1:47 PM

Denise:
I wonder if Mac people aren't aware they're supposed to be eternally beta testing when confronted with MS software.

I use MS Office to give me a hint of what I am missing by avoiding Windows Geeked

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 6:15 PM

bryan jay:

As the guy that started this thread, I'm delighted that the issue is getting some attention, which was my purpose in the first place.  I have a MB Air (mid 2012) 1.8ghz with 4GB of Ram and Apple's stock SSD.

However, I would just like to point out that my beef is not necessarily slow performance.  It is the fact that the program hangs up ALL the time.  I don't often use Logos on my Mac Mini (with 16GB of RAM) but it hangs up on that installation as well.

Question about MacBook Air usage ? Is the lid being closed (with default setting to put computer to sleep) ? Does Logos hang later after lid is opened ?

Is sleep being used on Mac Mini ? (can set System Preferences for Energy Saver so computer never sleeps)

Personally looking forward to Logos 5.2a beta => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/78218/547017.aspx#547017

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 139
David Medina | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 8:56 PM

The problem is that while I can understand your frustration the fact is that not all MAC users have the same experience. Like I said, I run Logos in a 2006 MAC Pro using regular HD 7200 rpm and runs fine. So a generalization that Logos does not work well in a MAC is overstating the issue, I think. Something do run slow but in general, I use it daily without any major issues. 

That said, Can and should be improve? Of course. And I am sure, contrary to what has been implied by some, that performance improvements are top priority for Logos people. 

Someone also mentioned that logos iPad app was useless. Again. A gross exaggeration. I run it on a iPad mini first generation as well as on a iPad 3 and it runs wonderfully. As a matter of fact, Logos iPad app is a joy to use. In the only iPad that runs slow is on my iPad first generation. 

Would I recommend Logos to a Mac user? Yes. I do all the time. It is the most complete, versatile, advance and powerful Bible study tool available in the market. 

Posts 10331
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 3:39 AM

David Medina:
The problem is that while I can understand your frustration the fact is that not all MAC users have the same experience. Like I said, I run Logos in a 2006 MAC Pro using regular HD 7200 rpm and runs fine. So a generalization that Logos does not work well in a MAC is overstating the issue, I think. Something do run slow but in general, I use it daily without any major issues.

That describes my experience with a 7 year old Mac Pro before I upgraded to a 27" iMac a few months ago. Logos performed well on both machines. I sympathize with those Mac users who have problems, but the gross exaggeration that Logos Mac is useless is way over the top.

Posts 9678
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 6:43 AM

I don't know ... seems like if GM Cadallacs had problems for a lot of purchasers (didn't say 'all' ... didn't say 'most' ... certainly more than 'some' ... us MS'ers have been watching this drama for several YEARS), I'd suspect some potential customers might want to test the waters first.

But I'd think most (not 'all') people would think after YEARS of this type of discussion (and YEARS of similar discussions about performance on the MS side), the Cadallac company might maybe dig into it a bit.

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 8:25 AM

Hi KS4J,

Sorry, I can't figure out how to put quotes in my reply, but I want to reply to your questions about usage.

Yes, I like to leave Logos open (so I don't have to wait for it to load each time I need it) when I leave the computer or close the lid.  And yes, it is often then that Logos hangs.  

I've also noticed it hanging it up when installing new updates, although not every time.

To those who mentioned "gross exaggeration" I would just like to point out that I never made any generalized statements about Logos not working on Macs in general, I simply stated that based on my experience I would not recommend Logos.  If others would recommend it, that's fine and I have no problem with that.  You let people know your experience with Logos and I'll let them know mine.  

Bryan

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 7
Andre Robitaille | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 8:33 AM

bryan jay:

Yes, I like to leave Logos open (so I don't have to wait for it to load each time I need it) when I leave the computer or close the lid.  And yes, it is often then that Logos hangs.  

Do I like that Logos hangs on sleep/wake-up?  Nope.  But that's going to cause the hang ups pretty often.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

"Then don't do that!"

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 9:17 AM

I should add also, that sometimes Logos just hangs up when I go to close it.  The computer hasn't been in sleep and there is no apparent action that I do that causes it.  I just notice that many times when I go to shut down my computer, either Logos won't close, or if I just hit "shut down" with a bunch of apps open, the computer will tell me that Logos cancelled shut down.

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 7
Andre Robitaille | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 9:29 AM

That's got to be a permissions or bad preferences files.  If I were in your position I'd try repairing permissions first with Disk Utility.  If that doesn't work, I'd be surprised if Logos tech support can't get it fixed.  

What you're talking about just isn't pointing to a problem in the code with how (if?) they ported Logos from Windows.  That sort of thing happens usually when a preferences file or user account gets messed up.  At the absolute worst case scenario, after all other avenues are exhausted, following the uninstall procedures (which I remember to be quite elaborate) and installing from scratch would probably fix it.

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 9:36 AM

OK, I'm repairing permissions now and will also follow up with tech support if I still encounter problems.  I'll give it a month and see if there is any improvement.  If so, I will report back to this thread.  Believe me, I want to like Logos and to recommend Logos.  It's just that I had such high hopes that all my Logos woes would be solved when I bought new computers this summer.  Yes, the software runs a lot faster than it did on my 2006 MB, but still lots of problems...

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 10331
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 11:03 AM

Bryan

In another thread David Mitchell (Logos) reported that they had located a bug in mono that caused L5 Mac to freeze after waking from sleep. This would be fixed in an upcoming release. As a work-around in the meanwhile, you should avoid allowing your computer to sleep while Logos is running. If memory serves the fix will be first tested in 5.2a beta and then released to the stable version.

Will now look for that thread.

Posts 559
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 11:10 AM

Jack Caviness:

Will now look for that thread.

KS4J has included it in his reply . . .

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS