Can F11 Reading Mode be better?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 372
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 29 2013 3:10 AM

One of the features of Logos 5 that I have really enjoyed lately (once I "found" it) is the F11 Reading Mode.

However, I wonder whether it could be made even more effective/useful.

1. At the moment once in F11 Reading Mode you scroll through pages by clicking the mouse on the 2 on screen arrows. I find this annoying because the mouse pointer has to be lined up. If the mouse has been used to hover over a reference, or to copy some text, then it has to be lined up visually.

2. I would like to scroll pages by using the KEYBOARD ARROWS.

3. I would also like the Keyboard Arrows to scroll ONE COLUMN, NOT ONE PAGE (I normally use 3 columns).

4. I would like the HOME & END buttons to jump to the beginning and end of a resource, BUT NOT LOSE FOCUS in the BOOK. Possibly pressing HOME again or CTRL HOME could immediately jump back to previous section of the resource.

5. This is a bit tricky to explain. I would like Logos 5 to know where abouts on the screen I chose the resource before I clicked F11. At the moment if you are in F11 Reading Mode, if you jump to the next resource you jump to the next resource in the Passage Guide. I assume this is decided by the parallel resource priority. I normally set up my screen to have translations and text (Heb & Gk) in one window, commentaries etc in another, Passage Guide in another, textual notes in another.

I would like the F11 Reading Mode to remember which window on the screen I chose the resource. If I chose a tx from the tx window, then scrolling resources in F11 would scroll through the resources in that widow. If I chose the resource from the commentary window then F11 would scroll through my chosen commentaries. Likewise if the resource is on the TOOLBAR.

Does that make sense?

6. Using the keyboard arrows rather than the mouse to scroll through a resource, would also be helpful if the resource is Hebrew. Instead of moving the mouse to the left hand bottom corner, you just use the same arrows, albeit back to front.

7. The whole idea is to be able to "turn the page" without taking the eyes off the screen.

8. I would like the resource title to ALWAYS appear in the top title bar. Sometimes it does but not always. One neat way to do this is to have a transparent resource icon appear for 5 seconds when the reource is first accessed in F11.

Any thoughts?

Stephen Miller

Sydney, Australia

Posts 26054
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 4:06 AM

Stephen Miller:

This seems to work for me - are you running on Windows or Mac?

You can also - on Windows - scroll using the mouse wheel if you have one?

Stephen Miller:
4. I would like the HOME & END buttons to jump to the beginning and end of a resource, BUT NOT LOSE FOCUS in the BOOK. Possibly pressing HOME again or CTRL HOME could immediately jump back to previous section of the resource.

Home and End seem to do what you are looking for. Alt and left-arrow takes you back to where you were.

Does any of this help?

Graham 

Posts 44
Ben Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 4:53 AM

My daily Bible reading is in the F11 Reading screen. I use PgDn on the keyboard to turn the pages. I've found that PgDn and PgUp give me more precise page turns than the arrow keys. If using my tablet I tap the right arrow at the bottom right of the screen.

If you are using multiple resources linked together, you should set up a special Layout with the resources and windows the way you want and then name it. The Reading screen is designed to work more simply, like a Kindle reader.

Ben

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 6:58 AM

Graham Criddle:

Stephen Miller:

This seems to work for me - are you running on Windows or Mac?

Space and Shift-Space will go forward and backward one page respectively as well.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 7
Max Snook | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 8:20 AM

It looks to me that F11 reading mode needs a lot of work for Window 8 for tablets.  On my tablet you can get into reading mode but not out without a keyboard and then to get out you have to exit completely. It is a struggle. 

Max Snook

Posts 44
Ben Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 9:06 AM

I have a Yoga with Windows 8.1. If you press the little arrow under the top left book icon it will open a menu where you can choose "Show reading view." To get out of this view, just tap anywhere along the top edge of the screen. The same icon will show up, press the little arrow to open the menu and then uncheck "Show reading view."

Ben

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS