Significant performance degradation when reading Church Dogmatics

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 23 2009 8:12 PM | Locked

This morning I was reading a section from Church Dogmatics,

I noted that it was particularly slow to scroll, the first few lines would scroll ok, then it would skip haphazardly with 1-2 second pauses before scrolling again. Bizzarely, the problem was not isolated to just CD. While CD was open, all other resources also scrolled equally poorly - and then went back to normal when CD was closed!

This is is what was happening to the CPU with jerky scrolling in CD, it was similar with scrolling in other books while CD was open:

Basically that represents one (of two) cores being hit at 100% by L4 (orange line) while scrolling.

This is what it looks like if scrolling normally when CD is not open:

Very odd, I'm away from my other system so I can't test if it's just this computer or if it's something to do with Church Dogmatics; for the moment I've discovered it's smoother to read CD via 3G on my iPhone than on my laptop off the hard drive Big Smile

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 8:41 PM | Locked

More information: the problem resolves when "Links to Open Panels" is deselected; it recurs whenever "Links to Open Panels" is turned on, regardless of whether or not there are any other open panels. Testing a couple of other resources; BDAG, a commentary; they also have a slight performance hit in scrolling when Links to Open Panels is selected though not as great as with CD.

I note that if I have several resources open simultaneously with Links to Open Panels turned on there is again a significant resource and performance cost - I wonder if this is a possible variable causing significant difference in peoples' experience of the speed of L4 despite using similar systems? Anyone else able to reproduce these issues?

Posts 3752
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:11 PM | Locked

So you're saying even a computer has to take Barth slowly???

Surprise  Wink

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3752
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:16 PM | Locked

Jon Rumble:
the problem resolves when "Links to Open Panels" is deselected;

Jon,

You're brilliant!

In another thread (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/7638.aspx) I've been experiencing erratic behavior scrolling in the RCL Lectionary. When I uncheck "Links to Open Panel" for highlighting, the panel resolves. The RCL, too, has lots of links. I bet you've hit exactly on what's causing all these scrolling issues.

Thanks for the tip! I'm a happy camper, now... this workaround works!

Blessings...

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 11:24 PM | Locked

QUOTE: In another thread (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/7638.aspx) I've been experiencing erratic behavior scrolling in the RCL Lectionary. When I uncheck "Links to Open Panel" for highlighting, the panel resolves.

CONFIRMED - but why would this be so? What was really wrong? How has this helped correct it? "Inquiring" minds would llike to know...

Steve F

Regards, SteveF

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 12:22 AM | Locked

Hi Bill,

Glad I accidentally fixed your problem Smile

I've filed the issue as a bug on the wiki; if nothing else it probably shouldn't be trying to apply the visual filter until the page has finished scrolling - I think that would fix the problem for the most part, though why there are a couple of resources that it seems to affect in particular is a mystery Surprise

Posts 3752
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 11:07 AM | Locked

Stephen Filyer:
why would this be so?

Think about it... a screen page of lectionary is just FILLED with links to do visual associations all over the layout--on-screen & off... with more panels open, I'll bet it's even worse! I think Jon has discovered a clue to the erratic slow performance that's helped by bigger graphics cards, etc.

Jon--does Barth have lots of links to other resources?

I'm hopeful that this may point the programmers to a solution for a LOT of our performance issues... all associated with visual filters, multiple panels, etc.

Blessings to you!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2994
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 11:09 AM | Locked

Thank you! This solved what I thought was random issues in performance. Great job!

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 6:32 AM | Locked

Bill Stonebraker:
Jon--does Barth have lots of links to other resources?

It has some, but not like a lectionary... Also the performance hit occurs even when there are no other panes open!

Posts 3752
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 10:49 AM | Locked

Jon Rumble:
the performance hit occurs even when there are no other panes open

Now I'm worried...

Surprise Hmm

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 2:17 PM | Locked

Jon Rumble:
note that if I have several resources open simultaneously with Links to Open Panels turned on there is again a significant resource and performance cost - I wonder if this is a possible variable causing significant difference in peoples' experience of the speed of L4 despite using similar systems? Anyone else able to reproduce these issues?

Hi Jon,

I'm able to reproduce the problem with scrolling in Church Dogmatics. It is slow without visual filters enabled, but with "Links to Open Panels" or "Show Page Numbers" visual filters enabled, it is extremely slow. I will report the problem. The volumes have not been converted to .logos4 format yet, which might be part of the problem.

Thanks,
Melissa

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2010 11:10 AM | Locked

I just wanted to bump this. Links to open panels very significantly slows down my system (to the point of it being unusable) even on 4.0b.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:54 AM | Locked

Mark Barnes:

I just wanted to bump this. Links to open panels very significantly slows down my system (to the point of it being unusable) even on 4.0b.

The problem is with resources where the articles are extremely long (in terms of the number of characters). These will eventually be rebuilt with smaller articles.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS