How to find a Greek word in the LXX

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 2:36 PM

Bootjack:

Let's suppose I have a word up from the NT and then let's suppose Vines / BDAG shows where that word is used in the LXX.

Sometimes, it is difficult to see exactly which word is intended, so my question is - is there a way to get the exact Gk word that is used in the LXX.

Let me illustrate to try and make myself clear. I have the word "wronged" used in Philemon 18. BDAG says that Gk word is used in Isaiah 9:8. How do I know exactly which word it is that is used in Isaiah other than guessing? Hopefully my question is clear as transparent mud.  :-}

Peace and Every Blessing, Bootjack!                I think maybe you got off track somehow right at the beginning????               I most certainly cannot find where BDAG says that Gk word is used in Isaiah 9:8  ......           

Is it possible that somehow you made a mistake???             *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 468
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 2:43 PM

Bootjack:

Sometimes, it is difficult to see exactly which word is intended, so my question is - is there a way to get the exact Gk word that is used in the LXX.

this may be helpful:

this first screenshot gives you NT usage

this screenshot of the second half of search results

hope this helps.

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 2:53 PM

Denise, thanks for your reply, although your last statement is confusing when you say "I think George paid them a tidy sum, though it looks very interlinear-ish" ... maybe you can clarify.

Milford, you have to go back and read my earlier posting - I had mentioned that I gave a wrong reference. This really isn't the issue - the issue is that I am or was looking for a LXX with strongs numbers, of which I'm beginning to learn there is no such thing - or at least at this point I don't think there is.

Anon, thank you for this. Let me study it and see if I can make this work for me. Much appreciated!!!  :-)

Posts 26586
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 2:58 PM

Bootjack:
I notice you say that Logos isn't Strong's happy - am I to take it then, there is no LXX that has Strong's numbers in it?

Logos LXX has Strong's (H9999) where the original text is Hebrew, so it won't help you find a Greek Strong's word (G9999)**! You have to use the Greek lemma or Greek manuscript.

** the LXX doesn't use biblical Greek upon which Strong's is based.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 3:02 PM

Dave ... good catch.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 3:07 PM

Thank you Dave for the info. I'm not sure if I understand everything yet but when I get a bit of time, I'll go over what Anon has posted and what you have just stated.

I think I can say, there is much in Logos that I do not come close to understanding. Super program though.

I'm still waiting for clarification as to what "I think George paid a tidy sum" means -

Posts 5239
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 3:13 PM

Bootjack:

I'm still waiting for clarification as to what "I think George paid a tidy sum" means -

It means the Bellingham police are still trying to determine what happened to the new LXX translator that was hired by Logos to provide the English translation for the Lexham LXX that Denise mentioned. His whereabouts are a complete mystery after he vanished on his way to work one morning...

Tongue Tied

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 3:14 PM

Bootjack:

Thank you Dave for the info. I'm not sure if I understand everything yet but when I get a bit of time, I'll go over what Anon has posted and what you have just stated.

I think I can say, there is much in Logos that I do not come close to understanding. Super program though.

Denise is making a joke about my dislike of interlinears and implying that I paid them to not make the LXX into an interlinear.  I'm sure she wasn't serious about that.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 3:15 PM

Good - thanks for the clarification.  :-}

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 3:26 PM

BTW:  I'm serious about not using that resource.  2 errors in 2 tries?  I feel confident that you didn't find the only 2 errors in it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 3:48 PM

Maybe you could point out where the two errors are and what they are -

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 3:55 PM

Bootjack ... that was a joke. George thinks people should learn greek/hebrew if they propose to get valid conclusions from the study.

But David's joke above sounds similar to Mot in the Ugarit writings.  Taking captives captive.

More seriously, biting the bullet and using the greek lemmas as shown above isn't that hard. I'm pretty much used to doing that in Japanese and Navajo, both of which far more complex. Slow going but fun.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 4:01 PM

Bootjack:

Maybe you could point out where the two errors are and what they are -

You pointed to 2 passages which were supposed to contain your word—only they didn't.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 4:08 PM

I think I gave the following list which are as follows -

1Kings 8:47 / 2Chron 26:16 / Ps 106:6 / Jer 37:18.

If this is the list you are drawing from, maybe you could point out the two that are supposedly erroneous. Thanks.

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 4:08 PM

Thank you for your reply Denise.   :-}

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 4:17 PM

Anon, maybe you could here or in another thread, explain how you got your panes up there in your screenshot the way you did. On the left pane, I see for instance, you have under your two "searches" a block that is called Graph results / Make filter etc.

I would be most interested in how you do that - thanks!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 4:57 PM

Bootjack:

I think I gave the following list which are as follows -

1Kings 8:47 / 2Chron 26:16 / Ps 106:6 / Jer 37:18.

If this is the list you are drawing from, maybe you could point out the two that are supposedly erroneous. Thanks.

No, the two passages were Is 9.8 and Jer 37.18.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 5:05 PM

Isaiah 9:8 was my mistake - Jer 37:18 was not. So we're narrowing down to supposedly one mistake now.

Posts 468
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 5:53 PM

Bootjack:
On the left pane, I see for instance, you have under your two "searches" a block that is called Graph results / Make filter etc.

"graph results" and "make filter" occur in "Bible" and "Morph" searches.  see below:

I believe "graph results" shows by itself when performing a "basic" search; while "make filter" shows up by itself when performing either a "morph" or "syntax" search.

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 7:14 PM

I noticed that just after I posted it. Maybe though, you at some point, when you find the time, could explain how you get those three panes up there the way you did. I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS